What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Removing Unsuitable Sound Effects, Emoticons ?

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Removing Unsuitable Sound Effects, Emoticons ?
Author: Message:
angelabrunt

O.P. Removing Unsuitable Sound Effects, Emoticons ?
hi, can anyone out there help me please.
My 8 yr old daughter has an MSN live account to chat to her friends from school. I am always really careful about what she sends etc but was horrified to see that she had some offensive sound effects and emoticons and winks . These were totally unsuitable for an 8 yr old, also some of the messages sent on Message Mayhem were close to the bone as well.

Is there some way I can censor the bad ones but leave the good ones for her, is there anyway of setting up an age limit on the MSN or something ? I don't want to spoil her fun but some of these were awful for a little girl. I have tried to delete them but each time I click on them it simply opens it up . Thanks for any advice
05-18-2007 09:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
duck!

– / Male / Flag
RE: Removing Unsuitable Sound Effects, Emoticons ?
You can remove emoticons and winks by going Tools - Emoticons or winks remove the ones you want :)
QUACK QUACK QUACK

05-18-2007 09:06 PM
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
Unfortunately, no, there's no way you can censor them that I know of. However, you can remove them, and talk to your daughter, because, apart from sounds, nothing gets added on their own (Sounds get added when a contact sends it to you).

To remove:
- An emoticon: Open a conversation, click the smiley face > Show All > On custom emoticons, select the emoticon and remove it.

- A wink: Click the ;) face > Show All > On custom winks, select the wink and remove it.

- Sound Effects: Click the speaker > "sound library" at the bottom > Select the sound and delete it.

You can set a filter on the Internet Browser your daughter that censors everything not suitable for her. (Which browser is it?!) and that way she wont be able to download them.

For the sounds, simply click the speaker > "sound library" > sound preferences and remove the checkmark from "automatically download sounds"

Good luck.
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
05-18-2007 09:10 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
angelabrunt

O.P. Happy  RE: Removing Unsuitable Sound Effects, Emoticons ?
Thanks for replying so quickly but they are not listed in there. They are seperate ones that are highly animated. Not sure where they came from but they are not listed on the tools menu. They are shown on a seperate line under the original winks etc .
Any ideas ?? thanks
05-18-2007 09:11 PM
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by angelabrunt
Thanks for replying so quickly but they are not listed in there. They are seperate ones that are highly animated. Not sure where they came from but they are not listed on the tools menu. They are shown on a seperate line under the original winks etc .
Any ideas ?? thanks

Check my post, just above yours. It has a more descriptive post.. I'm sure you only read duck!'s :p

This post was edited on 05-18-2007 at 09:13 PM by Rolando.
05-18-2007 09:12 PM
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
Sorry, but I don't think is possible to block MSN to add emoticons...
What you can do is uncheck the opition to Show Emoticons and Show Personalized Emoticons....
(See image attached)

But remember that if she is smart, and know how to change opitions, she can return the opitions.... And her friends can help her discovering how to do it...

Unfortunately, as a person/child is on internet she is taking the "risk" to see some offensive things... :S

.png File Attachment: Opitions.PNG (13.98 KB)
This file has been downloaded 118 time(s).

This post was edited on 05-18-2007 at 09:24 PM by MicroWay.
05-18-2007 09:16 PM
angelabrunt

O.P. RE: Removing Unsuitable Sound Effects, Emoticons ?
hiya, I can't find any "speaker" and the others are definitely not on any lists to remove them. when i right click on any of them it does nothing and when I left click it just opens them. HELP !!!!
05-18-2007 09:18 PM
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
Please read my post completely. You've to click the icon, and then click "SHOW ALL". Select the emoticon (only one click!) and then on the right click "remove". I'll update this post with a screenshot just in case.

PS: This is the "speaker" I'm talking about> [Image: speakerrj3.png]

Edit:

Instructions:
[Image: remove.PNG]

This post was edited on 05-18-2007 at 10:56 PM by WDZ.
05-18-2007 09:22 PM
duck!

– / Male / Flag
If you cant see the emoticons and winks on the list then she has not added them, the person she is speaking to is sending them, you could always tell her to use a web messenger, that way she wont see winks at all and any dodgy emoticons :)
www.meebo.com

EDIT: updated with pic in attachment :)

.jpg File Attachment: emotes.jpg (37.44 KB)
This file has been downloaded 126 time(s).

This post was edited on 05-18-2007 at 09:25 PM by duck!.
QUACK QUACK QUACK

05-18-2007 09:22 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
Unfortunately there isn't any kind of 'sensor' or 'age limit' you can set, but if you delete the unappropriate emoticons, sounds and winks.

Custom emoticons can be deleted by going to Tools > Emoticons in Windows Live Messenger, scroll down to Custom emoticons, click on the one you wants to delete and click the 'Remove' button on the right (or alternatively, hold down ALT and press R).

For winks, do the same thing in Tools > Winks.

For custom sounds, in Windows Live Messenger, go to Plus! > Sound Library, click the sound you wish to delete and click the 'Delete' button (or press ALT + D).

If you have any trouble, let me know.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
05-18-2007 09:28 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: