What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Tabbed chats taskbar button and its right click menu BUGS

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Tabbed chats taskbar button and its right click menu BUGS
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Tabbed chats taskbar button and its right click menu BUGS
1- With tabbed chats are enabled, when too much windows are open, and if any other Messenger window is open with some grouped conversation windows as well, when Windows groups all Messenger windows into a single taskbar button, Messenger Plus!' replacement right click menu is cancelled for the conversation window and when right clicked on it, normal standard Windows right click menu is opened. So you can't directly select the contact among the ones you are chatting with.

2- Forget about every condition of part 1 of this post but only tabbed chats case. When we right click on the taskbar button, it doesn't only show the menu, it also opens the window. Any other window of Windows doesn't do such thing, they aren't opened with the right click.

3- Due and related to the bug at 2, another bug appears. The "Restore" option is enabled only when we Maximize the "tabbed" chat window. Normally, it must be enabled also when we minimize it to the taskbar. But even if we have minimized it, since window is opened when we right click, this Restore has nothing to do then and is greyed out.

4- (This one will definitely be fixed when the bug at 1 is fixed but yet, I am reporting it) Again with tabbed chats are enabled and Windows automatically grouped Messenger related windows, even if we are chatting only one person, the right click menu for that conversation window among the "grouped" buttons, all menu items are disabled but Move and Minimize items. In fact those don't work as well. "Close Alt+F4" item closes only the active conversation, not all conversations.

I think, there is no bug I could find for the time being. Thanks for reading.

05-20-2007 09:22 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Tabbed chats taskbar button and its right click menu BUGS
1) That's not a bug. That is normal Windows behaviour and how Windows works.

2) That's not a bug. That is normal Windows behaviour and how Windows works. Windows are opened when you right-click on the taskbar button.

3) That's not a bug. That is normal Windows behaviour and how Windows works.

4) That's not a bug. This is how it was designed. To close all conversation you need to hold CTRL when pressing the red cross or you need to set the registry value TabCtrlCloseAll. All explained and discussed before on the forums. search.

This post was edited on 05-20-2007 at 10:54 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-20-2007 10:49 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
2) That's not a bug. That is normal Windows behaviour and how Windows works. Windows are opened when you right-click on the taskbar button.
not if the window is minimized
05-20-2007 10:55 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Tabbed chats taskbar button and its right click menu BUGS
quote:
And maybe Patchou can change that Windows behaviour to the suitable one, like he did for tabbed chats right click menu.
quote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention a detail about it. (And we must call that Windows' behaviour as not Opening but Switching.) If user minimized windows to the taskbar, Windows doesn't Restore windows when right clicked on their taskbar buttons, it only opens the menu. But for tabbed chats,even if the window is minimized, when right clicked it is Restored.
quote:
No, Windows doesn't work like that!
quote:
4) That's not a bug. This is how it was designed. To close all conversation you need to press CTRL ALT-F4 or set the registry value TabCtrlCloseAll. All explained and discussed before on the forums. search.

If Windows group Messenger windows into a single taskbar button, and if there are more than one conversation with tabbed chats are enabled, then there aren't two options on right click menu as Close Current Conversation-Close All Conversations, there is only one Close (and I request Patchou to replace it with its right click menu special to tabbed chats). So when clicked on Close, it only closes the current conversation, and we can't close all of them like the option Close All Conversations. I know that registry option, but I don't find any relation between this discussion and that option.

This post was edited on 05-20-2007 at 11:10 AM by ahmetgns.
05-20-2007 11:08 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Tabbed chats taskbar button and its right click menu BUGS
quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
yes, but that is not what he said in his top post.

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
quote:
And maybe Patchou can change that Windows behaviour to the suitable one, like he did for tabbed chats right click menu.
No, it is normal windows behaviour and should not be changed. Custom system menus are never shown when you right click on a grouped task in the taskbar.

quote:
quote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention a detail about it. (And we must call that Windows' behaviour as not Opening but Switching.) If user minimized windows to the taskbar, Windows doesn't Restore windows when right clicked on their taskbar buttons, it only opens the menu. But for tabbed chats,even if the window is minimized, when right clicked it is Restored.
Extremely important detail you forgot to mention here!

Though this behaviour is to be expected since grouped conversations are actually children of a hidden window; they aren't parent windows like when you don't have grouped chats enabled.

It is this hidden window which controls how Windows reacts. When you minimize a chat window (with grouped conversations enabled), that hidden window is not minimized with it, hence the current behaviour. This could indeed be fixed...

quote:
quote:
yes it does.

quote:
quote:
4) That's not a bug. This is how it was designed. To close all conversation you need to press CTRL ALT-F4 or set the registry value TabCtrlCloseAll. All explained and discussed before on the forums. search.
If Windows group Messenger windows into a single taskbar button, and if there are more than one conversation with tabbed chats are enabled, then there aren't two options on right click menu as Close Current Conversation-Close All Conversations, there is only one Close (and I request Patchou to replace it with its right click menu special to tabbed chats). So when clicked on Close, it only closes the current conversation, and we can't close all of them like the option Close All Conversations. I know that registry option, but I don't find any relation between this discussion and that option.
like I said: this is normal windows behaviour and how grouping of similar tasks in the taskbar works.

This post was edited on 05-20-2007 at 12:25 PM by CookieRevised.
05-20-2007 12:19 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
    quote:Originally posted by toddy

quote:Originally posted by CookieRevised

i guess he meant minimized when  he said
quote:
Any other window of Windows doesn't do such thing, they aren't opened with the right click.

:tongue::tongue:
05-20-2007 01:13 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: RE: RE: Tabbed chats taskbar button and its right click menu BUGS
quote:
No, it is normal windows behaviour and should not be changed. Custom system menus are never shown when you right click on a grouped task in the taskbar.
Are you talking about right clicking on the button of a group on the taskbar, or left clicking on a group button and then right click on the buttons which first one grouped. Because first kind click lists: Cascade, ... Vertically, ..... Horizontally,... Close Group, Minimize Group. (If I am wrong with some of them, tolerate me, I don't have an English Windows and wrote them from my memory). So that menu shouldn't be replaced with a custom menu, I agree with you (if you mean that). And if have a chance for the sub right click menus to be replaced, why not? It would be better.
quote:
quote:
quote:
yes it does.
No, it doesn't. Which one is true? Please let someone come and solve this problem.
05-20-2007 02:33 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
i guess he meant minimized when  he said
quote:
Any other window of Windows doesn't do such thing, they aren't opened with the right click.

missing a word or forgetting to say something is ok. But what he forgot to say completely changes what he was explaining in every aspect. It isn't a detail at all; it is the whole essence of the bug and in that case describes a different thing. We had these discussions before and each time I say to be carefull when explaining something and trying to make sense. And when I dare to say/explain or reply with something like that (eg: also saying something about the minimized behaviour while he didn't said one word about it in his post) I'm accused of 'providing useless info' (which are his own words).

-----------------------

quote:
quote:
Are you talking about right clicking on the button of a group on the taskbar, or left clicking on a group button and then right click on the buttons which first one grouped. Because first kind click lists: Cascade, ... Vertically, ..... Horizontally,... Close Group, Minimize Group. (If I am wrong with some of them, tolerate me, I don't have an English Windows and wrote them from my memory). So that menu shouldn't be replaced with a custom menu, I agree with you (if you mean that). And if have a chance for the sub right click menus to be replaced, why not? It would be better.
Both...

And in both cases it is basic Windows behaviour which shouldn't be changed. And quite frankly, I'm even not certain this can be changed at all since both those menus are generated by the Windows Shell itself and not by the individual windows like the system menu is, iirc.

quote:
quote:
yes it does.
No, it doesn't. Which one is true? Please let someone come and solve this problem.
I explained here (reply to point 2) why it is normal Windows behaviour what you describe in point 3.

This post was edited on 05-20-2007 at 10:38 PM by CookieRevised.
05-20-2007 10:29 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Tabbed chats taskbar button and its right click menu BUGS
quote:
Both...

And in both cases it is basic Windows behaviour which shouldn't be changed. And quite frankly, I'm even not certain this can be changed at all since both those menus are generated by the Windows Shell itself and not by the individual windows like the system menu is, iirc.
Thanks, I see.

Your explanation:
quote:
Though this behaviour is to be expected since grouped conversations are actually children of a hidden window; they aren't parent windows like when you don't have grouped chats enabled.

It is this hidden window which controls how Windows reacts. When you minimize a chat window (with grouped conversations enabled), that hidden window is not minimized with it, hence the current behaviour. This could indeed be fixed...
So, when we maximize tabbed chats window, that hidden window is maximized at the background and Restore option of right click menu is activated, right?
05-20-2007 10:37 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
So, when we maximize tabbed chats window, that hidden window is maximized at the background and Restore option of right click menu is activated, right?
No, the hidden window controls the tabbed chat windows, true. But the hidden Plus! window itself is not maximized nor minimized.

The hidden window attributes themselfs are not changed. Though the size parameters are changed. Although one of the attributes also states to ignore them. Why the position and size parameters are changed while the ignore flag is always used I dunno, but this could have something todo with it.

Also, the currently visible tabbed chat window itself is set with an attribute WS_MAXIMIZE (but the other tabbed chat windows are not) when maximizing Messenger's chat window. This triggers the restore menu on its turn when the user presses the hidden Plus! window's taskbar button.

When you minimize a Messenger chat window, WS_MINIMIZE for the current visible tabbed chat is never set like that. The currently visible tabbed chat window is simply disabled instead (WS_DISABLE). Thus the restore item is not shown as a result.

This post was edited on 05-20-2007 at 11:48 PM by CookieRevised.
05-20-2007 10:40 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: