What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » A classic: lost .ple password.

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
A classic: lost .ple password.
Author: Message:
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
RE: A classic: lost .ple password.
quote:
Originally posted by ItsLost
Would a modern pc be up to that job, taking into account the password is only verified in that mini-log, as you described it?

Sure, I suppose anything is possible, but it might take a couple thousand years to loop through every possible combination using a standard desktop PC
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
05-23-2007 11:45 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ItsLost

O.P. RE: A classic: lost .ple password.
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
quote:
Would a modern pc be up to that job, taking into account the password is only verified in that mini-log, as you described it?

Sure, I suppose anything is possible, but it might take a couple thousand years to loop through every possible combination using a standard desktop PC

Well, they're a lot of combinations, but modern PC's are powerfull enough I suppose.
05-23-2007 11:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, they're a lot of combinations, but modern PC's are powerfull enough I suppose.

yeah but it would take a hell of a long time, no matter how powerful you pc was.

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
05-23-2007 11:50 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ItsLost

O.P. RE: RE: A classic: lost .ple password.
quote:
Originally posted by ICD
quote:
quote:
quote:

yeah but it would take a hell of a long time, no matter how powerful you pc was.

How many checked combinations per second would be possible?
05-23-2007 11:52 AM
foaly

38 / Male / Flag
quote:

Moreover, another thought. Any new chat log is encrypted using the same password, without having to provide that password every time. That means Plus! is keeping it somewhere?

it does but that won't do you any good...
it is stored in your register... search for LogPrivateKey
and you'll find it...
05-23-2007 03:29 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: A classic: lost .ple password.
quote:
I'm totally not into encrypting. My idea/hope came from the 'analogy' of the key and the keyhole. The password is used to 'unlock(decipher)' the file like a key is used to unlock the lock. Looking at the keyhole gives some idea about the key as well.
I understand the analogy. But the analogy isn't an analogy for encryption though. Encryption works in a different way.

Aka: you can not look at the keyhole and even if it was possible, you can't decypher what kind of key you need. You don't even know the size of the key you need.

quote:
A PC doesn't need to be "powerfull" at all. You could do it on an antique PC running on 10Mhz too. The important factor is speed. But even on a more than average fast PC, it would take an extremely long time...

quote:
Moreover, another thought. Any new chat log is encrypted using the same password, without having to provide that password every time. That means Plus! is keeping it somewhere?
It keeps it in the registry, BUT this password is also encrypted....

----------------

Note that people have discussed all this since a long time (as long as encryption of logs has been added to Plus!). Search the forums and you'll see exactly the same threads as this one with exactly the same questions and thoughts. And even back in the days when the encryption was many times weaker as it is now, nobody has ever been able to 'crack' any logs. To be honest, don't bother and give up, you'll be wasting your time.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-23-2007 06:36 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: