What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » CPU Info

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
CPU Info
Author: Message:
insomniac

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: CPU Info
It does indeed but it blocks most lagit sites aswell thats what get annoying and yip iv had a look at wikipedia but cant find much on the cpu stats  like bus sizez cache etc if u look at the previous attatchment youll see what im after
05-31-2007 11:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: RE: CPU Info
quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
Intel's "great" processor on the last years was Pentinum IV.. Mainly, it was a heat-spreader, with few overclock'ability and also a slow performer.. Intel maintained this processor for 3 or 4 years, waiting for the big fish (I guess..)

The Pentium IV is not really one processor, the core has been completely redesigned several times, through NetBurst, Willamette, Northwood, Prescott and Cedar Mill.

Other CPUs you might want to look into if you're interested in CPU technology are the DEC Alpha [They aren't making them after this year :(], Sun SPARC (It's CRAPS backwards! Really!), various ARM processors, IBM Power, PowerPC [used in some Macs + PSX/PS2], Motorola 68k based CPUs, and check out the CELL, too, very interesting. There are some rare CPUs still being used as well, such as the CPUs in the CRAY X1E.

I'm not a huge fan of the RISC thing, I really like vector processors. However, they just don't exist anymore, not in any real scale. You can't call the SIMD on the Pentiums (>3) vector, really, unless you're dealing with 32 or 16 bit floats.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
05-31-2007 11:31 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: CPU Info
quote:
Originally posted by Verte
The Pentium IV is not really one processor, the core has been completely redesigned several times, through NetBurst, Willamette, Northwood, Prescott and Cedar Mill
Prescott being the greatest toaster ever and cedar mill the best clocker.. I only said that because all revisions follow the same 'gender' :$

In C2D you also have Allendale, Conroe and Kentsfield per example, but then again those aren't revisions but codenames for different models :p (even if some 'supposedly' have purer silicon)

This post was edited on 06-01-2007 at 12:01 AM by Jhrono.
The world is yours
05-31-2007 11:59 PM
insomniac

36 / Male / –
even just names of different processors is a help because i can look them up at a later time (H) Any help is better than no help aye(Y)
06-01-2007 12:13 AM
Verte

quote:
Prescott being the greatest toaster ever

Maybe- but not the geekiest toaster ever. :P

Edit: click the face.

This post was edited on 06-01-2007 at 12:29 AM by Verte.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
06-01-2007 12:28 AM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
There was a guy that made a heater for his mug with 2 or 4 prescotts...i'll find the link and link you guys :p
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
06-01-2007 12:30 AM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
LOL I said toaster as in heat source, not as a real toaster :lol:
The world is yours
06-01-2007 12:38 AM
Verte

quote:
LOL I said toaster as in heat source, not as a real toaster :lol:

:lol: I know- it just made me think of that toaster. The Prescott mug heater will top that though XD

-andrewdodd13
06-01-2007 01:11 AM
insomniac

36 / Male / –
is all that tech really nessessary for a toaster!! is quite a crack up osome of the weird thiings pple come up with. processor names would be a help if any one knos of some that iv missed im not really up to date with the new stuff i havent had much to do with computing since the P4 first came out lets just say iv had a really long holiday!!
06-02-2007 08:44 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
http://www.intel.com
http://www.amd.com
http://www.cpu-collection.de/
etc

Go to such sites for the stuff you want. They have all the stats, graphs and listings you need and everything is explained in great detail.

This post was edited on 06-02-2007 at 10:04 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-02-2007 09:53 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: