What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Disk Partitioning?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Disk Partitioning?
Author: Message:
WaqasTariq

41 / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  Disk Partitioning?
Hello....

Ok Vista's disk management is a whole lot diffrent than Xp's one thing is that you can not create an 'extended' partition unless you have 4 'primary' partition's, not I have a 250GB hard drive I want to make two partiotions out of it 1 for C: (windows) and other d: for my stuff,

Now in the year I used my computer I always created a partiotons like this... 1 primary 2extended and within '2' a logical drive...

What I want to know is how should I partition my drive in Vista? was the partioning I was doing in Xp, was wrong and I should have two primary disks rather than 1 primary and the other extended inta A logical drive?

Hope you get what I said :P
06-05-2007 08:07 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Woraug

A Credit to Dementia

36 / Male / –
RE: Disk Partitioning?
If I understand correctly, then you want two primary partitions.  Just make sure the partition with Vista on it comes first (If you didn't know).  When I first started messing with partitions, I put it last, and kinda screwed things up.
[Image: Sentinel.png]
06-05-2007 08:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
WaqasTariq

41 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Disk Partitioning?
quote:
Originally posted by Woraug
If I understand correctly, then you want two primary partitions.  Just make sure the partition with Vista on it comes first (If you didn't know).  When I first started messing with partitions, I put it last, and kinda screwed things up.

No, What I am trying to say is... How should I Partition?

a) C: primary D: logical drive in an extended partiton

or

b) C: primary D: primary

which is the best way of doing it?
06-05-2007 09:08 AM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by WaqasTariq
a) C: primary D: logical drive in an extended partiton
or
b) C: primary D: primary
which is the best way of doing it?

It shouldn't make any difference whatsoever -- and hasn't in a long time, even if the defaults for what disk management likes to do only have changed in Vista. 

NT-based versions of Windows (including NT 4.0, 2000 and XP) have all been quite happy with more than one primary partition on the disk, and the only substantial difference is that extended partitions are, by their nature, non-bootable (the OS can potentially get around this by installing its bootloader in the MBR or on a bootable primary partition).
06-05-2007 09:51 AM
WaqasTariq

41 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Disk Partitioning?
So I should go with 'b) C: primary D: primary' as it wont make any diffrence right?

06-05-2007 11:32 AM
Verte

It shouldn't make any difference. The only distinction is, you can only boot from primary partitions, so if you ever plan to multiboot, make sure you've got a primary spare. It's not really an issue though :P
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
06-05-2007 02:36 PM
WaqasTariq

41 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Verte
It shouldn't make any difference. The only distinction is, you can only boot from primary partitions, so if you ever plan to multiboot, make sure you've got a primary spare. It's not really an issue though :P

Ok... Can I know how you people have your hard drives partitioned???

so to get an idea....

Total Space -------- Partion1------Partition2---- and so on also mentioned which is primary, extended, logical...

06-07-2007 01:25 PM
Adeptus

quote:
Disk 1 (36GB) - one partition (C: ), Windows system volume and applications.

Disk 2 (200GB) - two partitions.  4GB (S: ) for swap, Windows temporary files, browser cache.  Second partition is the rest of the drive and used for data, inlcuding redirected "My Documents".

Disk 3 (500GB) - one partition, large rarely used files (such as movie downloads, software setup files, CD and DVD images).

The swap/temp partition really should be on the 500GB disk, because it is the least frequently accessed, but it was added later.  I should also note that the swap/temp partition only makes sense if you have more than one physical drive, and that if I was doing it today, I would get a bigger drive for the system volume (it is a fast 10,000rpm drive, but 36GB is a little tight).

The hardware specs in your signature suggest you have 250GB, presumably a single drive.  If I were you, I would probably partition that into 50-60GB system volume (C: ), the rest for data.  Separating data from the OS and apps is still a good idea -- it makes it much simpler to reinstall things, if needed.
06-07-2007 03:14 PM
Verte

On this computer,
hda1 [38 GB] = C:
hdb1 [6 GB] = /
hdb5 [512 MB] = swap

It's no more difficult to make your non-boot partitions extended partitions rather than primary partitions, so there's no reason not to, even though it's very rare that most people will run out of primary partitions anyway.

You may run out if you've set up a primary partition for Windows and a primary for data, and then you want to install more versions of Windows or some Unixen, or whatever the flavour of the week is. [note: Unixen can typically share /boot, which needs to be an/on a primary partition].
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
06-08-2007 12:50 AM
WaqasTariq

41 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
Disk 1 (36GB) - one partition (C: ), Windows system volume and applications.

Disk 2 (200GB) - two partitions.  4GB (S: ) for swap, Windows temporary files, browser cache.  Second partition is the rest of the drive and used for data, inlcuding redirected "My Documents".

Disk 3 (500GB) - one partition, large rarely used files (such as movie downloads, software setup files, CD and DVD images).

The swap/temp partition really should be on the 500GB disk, because it is the least frequently accessed, but it was added later.  I should also note that the swap/temp partition only makes sense if you have more than one physical drive, and that if I was doing it today, I would get a bigger drive for the system volume (it is a fast 10,000rpm drive, but 36GB is a little tight).

The hardware specs in your signature suggest you have 250GB, presumably a single drive.  If I were you, I would probably partition that into 50-60GB system volume (C: ), the rest for data.  Separating data from the OS and apps is still a good idea -- it makes it much simpler to reinstall things, if needed.

Thanks ... I think now I am getting an idea about partitions and stuff...

Now what I have is C: 200GB for windows (I know I will only be using 1 OS) and D: 50GB (32GB to be exact) for softwares and rarely used files and my documents redirected :)
now satisfied!
06-08-2007 07:07 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: