What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
[Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status
Author: Message:
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status
I like it, would be good to have (y).
06-08-2007 02:29 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by toddy
well i think it would be pretty pointless. wouldn't make it much more simple (as the current way is simple), would save a few seconds at most, and you would lose the added options.
I understand your point of view and I'm not saying anything is wrong with the current method, but it is (just) a suggestion non-the-less and one which I personally believe would be a neater way of changing status.
Ofcourse you could still have the extra options for the personalised status accessible from the menu...
06-08-2007 02:32 AM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Keikonium
Bottom line is that it was only a suggestion ;). If ever implemented, you don't have to use it, and it wont interfere with your messenger use.
yes it would, as i'm quite sure that for it to be added. the status button would have to be broken up into 2 parts. a text box and a drop down button. thus meaning i've have a much smaller area to click on for the basic status options. which could take a few more seconds :tongue:

if you're that worried about saying time, then just use the global shortcuts for personal status's

This post was edited on 06-08-2007 at 02:35 AM by toddy.
06-08-2007 02:32 AM
Keikonium

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: [Suggestion] New Way To Set Custom Status
quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
Bottom line is that it was only a suggestion ;). If ever implemented, you don't have to use it, and it wont interfere with your messenger use.
yes it would, as i'm quite sure that for it to be added. the status button would have to be broken up into 2 parts. a text box and a drop down button. thus meaning i've have a much smaller area to click on for the basic status options. which could take a few more seconds :tongue:

true... if you enabled this option :).
Now Playing:
[image not working] [Image: 87cc21b0.png]
06-08-2007 02:34 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
true... if you enabled this option :).
Uhoh, I don't like the idea of it being enabled/disabled. It just bloats the preferences unnecessarily and most users wont even understand what it is :p
06-08-2007 02:40 AM
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
But this way you won't be able to specify Busy or Away? And when you don't have a personal status set, will you be able to edit your normal status like Online, Busy, Away, etc? Feature might sound good but would be very hard to implement.
06-08-2007 02:41 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
Keikonium; so you are using StuffPlug's feature which let you type your display name on the contact list window. What if when you or others who use that display name feature of StuffPlug want to set some other statuses like "Be right back" or "In a call"?? Where will you click?? This implementation may cancel Statuses menu, and you may not access other menu items on that menu. Although it will bring some advantages, we must consider the disadvantages too.
06-08-2007 01:09 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
I don't think it does that, ahmet :p
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
06-08-2007 03:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Keikonium; so you are using StuffPlug's feature which let you type your display name on the contact list window. What if when you or others who use that display name feature of StuffPlug want to set some other statuses like "Be right back" or "In a call"?? Where will you click??
What has the use of StuffPlug's 'edit-name-in-place' feature to do with this (other than being an example of what he meant)??? Using this feature of StuffPlug will not remove the status menu, nor does it have any influence on it. People wanting to set another status still press the drop down button, StuffPlug installed or not.

quote:
This implementation may cancel Statuses menu, and you may not access other menu items on that menu.
No... The menu will still be there as you can see in his example screen shots (notice the arrow)...

------------------

This said, I don't see the advantage of such a 'typing-the-status' feature, I only see disadvantages.

If this is made you still need to click on the text box to enter the status name anyways. So why not simply click on the current existing drop down menu, and selecting your status like that??? It is way faster (instead of: click, typing, pressing enter)... You also wont accidently enter a typo and setting a custom status instead of a standard status, etc.

As for 'another way to select a status' I can understand the suggestion and it is quite an original idea. But it would be a longer way and the normal default way would become less easy to use (because you would only have a small arrow anymore to aim and click on).

As for quickly selecting custom Plus! statusses: Simply select 'away' and the custom status screen will pop up with the status name edit box already being focussed. From there you can either enter the new custom status name directly (thus which requires equally as much handlings as what you suggested!!!), or select a predefined custom status (which requires less handlings than your suggestion).
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-08-2007 08:05 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
As well as that, in the new 8.5 beta the nickname and status are handled by the same container, so it could be very hard to implement.

I think it's a neat-ish feature though, it'd look cool... but I hardly ever use personalised statuses anyway (maybe its from years of using bash on Linux, but I like to just /away <auto responder>).
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
06-09-2007 09:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: