What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » New Website

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
New Website
Author: Message:
Lourix

32 / Male / Flag
RE: New Website
Good site anyway but thank god you can turn the music off :P Also I like how you don't have to scroll down its just all in front of you.
[Image: 202180054.png]
06-10-2007 10:09 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The only thing that made me close my browser straight away was the loud music :P
06-10-2007 10:15 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton

Why is your designers site using the same layout?

http://xeeder.ambisquad.com/

Seems dodgy - and it is one whole image.
Indeed, seems like he made one design and is ripping it off as many.

This post was edited on 06-10-2007 at 11:23 AM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
06-10-2007 10:34 AM
Exca

Not illiteral, just ignoring you

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: New Website
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Exca
Code freaks ^^ I still think it's about the content... flash codes much faster then javascript for the same purpose :D so why would he have done it that way..
Oh dear.

I could list 10,000 reasons why it should have been done in HTML/JS

--

It's not mine it's my friend's :D and he's quite busy so he didn't sliced it yet.
But that is my opinion!

[Image: djexcaround.gif]
06-10-2007 11:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Xeeder

RE: RE: New Website
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Exca
Code freaks ^^ I still think it's about the content... flash codes much faster then javascript for the same purpose :D so why would he have done it that way..
Oh dear.

I could list 10,000 reasons why it should have been done in HTML/JS

--

Ok, I'm the designer ;)

About those 10,000 reasons, why don't you list a few?

The other site (http://xeeder.ambisquad.com) still has to be sliced idd, and it'll probably be in XHTML/CSS. But I'm really busy now so I didn't had the time yet.

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:

Indeed, seems like he made one design and is ripping it off as many.

Sorry ;) but there's a clear difference between all my designs. I just like some unity in all of my creations. That's why the background and container are alike on all of my designs.

This post was edited on 06-10-2007 at 11:25 AM by Xeeder.
06-10-2007 11:22 AM
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
Nice Flash site, however I'm not a Flash-fan. I prefer the beautiful HTML+CSS coding. :)

But nicely done! (y)
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
06-10-2007 12:10 PM
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Xeeder
About those 10,000 reasons, why don't you list a few?
  • Search engine optimisation
  • Usability
  • Accessibility (legally, your site must be accessible by those with disabilities)
  • Screen readers cannot read Flash content
  • Mobile/portable browser access
  • Flash files are larger
  • You require people have flash installed to view anything on the site
  • There's no reason for it to be flash - the layout isn't "interactive" - it is static content
  • I can't use [Page down] to scroll through the content on the pages. Why should I need to use my mouse to view a web page?

I could go on.
06-10-2007 12:12 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Sorry ;) but there's a clear difference between all my designs. I just like some unity in all of my creations. That's why the background and container are alike on all of my designs.
Fair enough, just wondered.
[Image: jumbled.png]
06-10-2007 12:23 PM
Xeeder

RE: RE: New Website
quote:
  • Search engine optimisation
  • Usability
  • Accessibility (legally, your site must be accessible by those with disabilities)
  • Screen readers cannot read Flash content
  • Mobile/portable browser access
  • Flash files are larger
  • You require people have flash installed to view anything on the site
  • There's no reason for it to be flash - the layout isn't "interactive" - it is static content
  • I can't use [Page down] to scroll through the content on the pages. Why should I need to use my mouse to view a web page?

my feedback on your reasons in order:
  • Your right about that, but for this site the title, meta description and meta keywords are enough ;)
  • 99% of our visitors have flash installed and the site isn't difficult to use.
  • With all due respect for those with disabilities but we can't do good for everyone! We have to keep in mind that the people we are trying to reach love animation and flash websites.
  • Same answer as the above question
  • My mobile views the website perfectly ;) and I'm working on a RSS feed that can be used by mobile/portable users.
  • The total size of the swf file is 288KB, that takes about 0,5 seconds to load for people with a broadband connection and about 4,8 seconds for people with a smallband connection. Sorry but people who can't wait that long just aren't worth it to visit the site. Anyway if I had done it without flash it would certainly have been more than 288KB and it would be much slower because the visitor would have to load multiple files.
  • 99% of our visitors have flash installed and 100% of the people we purpose to reach with this website have flash installed.
  • There are fading effects wich cannot be done as fluently with any other technology than flash, i don't like seeing anoying page refreshes everytime I click a menu-item, it's better to stream music, ... the content is not static, there's a shoutbox, every tekst you see on the website comes out of a mysql database.
  • Why do some people use a electric lawn mower and some a lawn mower driven by oil? It does the same thing so what does it mather? And if you don't like to use your mouse, why do you have one?

The way a website is maid depends on the people you make it for. The people we make it for just have flash installed, have a mouse they like to use, don't like the ugly standard scrollbars and just love to hear some music (Y).

This post was edited on 06-10-2007 at 01:29 PM by Xeeder.
06-10-2007 01:28 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
quote:
my feedback on your reasons in order:
  • Your right about that, but for this site the title, meta description and meta keywords are enough ;)
  • 99% of our visitors have flash installed and the site isn't difficult to use.
  • With all due respect for those with disabilities but we can't do good for everyone! We have to keep in mind that the people we are trying to reach love animation and flash websites.
  • Same answer as the above question
  • My mobile views the website perfectly ;) and I'm working on a RSS feed that can be used by mobile/portable users.
  • The total size of the swf file is 288KB, that takes about 0,5 seconds to load for people with a broadband connection and about 4,8 seconds for people with a smallband connection. Sorry but people who can't wait that long just aren't worth it to visit the site. Anyway if I had done it without flash it would certainly have been more than 288KB and it would be much slower because the visitor would have to load multiple files.
  • 99% of our visitors have flash installed and 100% of the people we purpose to reach with this website have flash installed.
  • There are fading effects wich cannot be done as fluently with any other technology than flash, i don't like seeing anoying page refreshes everytime I click a menu-item, it's better to stream music, ... the content is not static, there's a shoutbox, every tekst you see on the website comes out of a mysql database.
  • Why do some people use a electric lawn mower and some a lawn mower driven by oil? It does the same thing so what does it mather? And if you don't like to use your mouse, why do you have one?

The way a website is maid depends on the people you make it for. The people we make it for just have flash installed, have a mouse they like to use, don't like the ugly standard scrollbars and just love to hear some music (Y).
1.) No, the meta tags are not enough, what about the site content?
2.) 99%, there are still 1% without it.
3.) Just because someones disabled, doesnt mean they should be left out
4.) Same as above
5.) Yeah, but not all mobiles have flash for example.
6.) most could code that up so it's less than 288kb :/
7.) Not really, not all people who want dj's will have flash.
8.) Fading effects can be done very fluently with javascript.
9.) Becuase you cant use windows to the full extent without one, and people want to read and not concentrate on their mouse moving the scrollbar
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

06-10-2007 01:34 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: