What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » New Website

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
New Website
Author: Message:
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: New Website
quote:
Originally posted by Xeeder
Your right about that, but for this site the title, meta description and meta keywords are enough
Meta keywords and description are NOT!!! important and as highly ranked these days as ACTUAL CONTENT.
quote:
With all due respect for those with disabilities but we can't do good for everyone! We have to keep in mind that the people we are trying to reach love animation and flash websites.
OK, so when you get sued - don't come back crawly. You CAN do good for everyone. It is very easy.
quote:
My mobile views the website perfectly
Your mobile has flash? Then I'd assume it was Opera Mobile/Opera or you have a PDA/PocketPC phone which has Flash - you should know then it is not a newer version.

Many portable phones and such will not show the phone.
quote:
The total size of the swf file is 288KB, that takes about 0,5 seconds to load for people with a broadband connection and about 4,8 seconds for people with a smallband connection. Sorry but people who can't wait that long just aren't worth it to visit the site. Anyway if I had done it without flash it would certainly have been more than 288KB and it would be much slower because the visitor would have to load multiple files.
Actually - no, it would be smaller.

Yep, good business philosophy too. People who can't wait long enough aren't worth being a potential/return customer. 8-)
quote:
99% of our visitors have flash installed and 100% of the people we purpose to reach with this website have flash installed.
I highly doubt that. Do you have the statistics to prove it?
quote:
There are fading effects wich cannot be done as fluently with any other technology than flash, i don't like seeing anoying page refreshes everytime I click a menu-item, it's better to stream music, ... the content is not static, there's a shoutbox, every tekst you see on the website comes out of a mysql database.
DHTML and javascript. http://script.aculo.us/http://script.aculo.us/
quote:
    * Why do some people use a electric lawn mower and some a lawn mower driven by oil? It does the same thing so what does it mather? And if you don't like to use your mouse, why do you have one?

Wow. That is the most stupid comparison I've heard in a while.

Can a blind person use a lawn mower? No - they get someone else to do it for them - in terms of the website, a screen reader.

You really, really, really need to go back and learn how to design, develop and produce websites properly.

Before you start on my knowledge and question me - I'd like to explain a little in what I do for a living. I'm a web developer, designer and web standards advocate. I run my own successful business, develop a fairly popular web application, have developed teaching materials on web standards & web design currently used by Australian educational institutions. I provide web design advice and consultation services to several large Australian companies - and a few international. In the close future I'll also hopefully be moving in to the field of teaching the above and possibly running courses on web standards based web development and design practices.
06-10-2007 01:39 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
and people want to read and not concentrate on their mouse moving the scrollbar
scroll wheel \o/
If you can't scroll and read using a mouse then wtf :P

quote:

• Why do some people use a electric lawn mower and some a lawn mower driven by oil? It does the same thing so what does it mather? And if you don't like to use your mouse, why do you have one?

Money. - Also, you cannot fully operate a computer without a mouse, that's why.
[Image: jumbled.png]
06-10-2007 01:40 PM
Exca

Not illiteral, just ignoring you

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: New Website
@Chris: you need to chill out dude, we already know you're the best :s

What about the sueing thing? That's the most stupid thing i've ever heard. Federal websites, medical website's or other instancy's should be indeed accessable by disabled people, because these websites are primary and civilians have the right to have an excellent care from every instance he PAYS for (insurance, state (paid by taxes), public libraries).
A website for a dj duo NOT... you're not obligated to visit it and sorry for people who can't, hell, we are not obligated to even HAVE a website, so how stupid is that. The website is for a promotional purpose and it extends all other promotional ways. And really, no one obligates us to make a design by rules, they don't even exist.
Oh wait: I'm going to sue you Chris because i'm curious of your home, but i'm a wheelchair patiënt and I can't access it because of the fuckin' stairs...

www.microsoft.com/surface => omg flash, let's all sue them!!!

If you think Xeeder would need to go back and relearn coding; you must be blind. He didn't graduate for nothing, in fact, he's just the same as you and many companies are willing to hire him because of the great work he deliveres.

So stop whining about rediculous things

This post was edited on 06-10-2007 at 02:14 PM by Exca.
But that is my opinion!

[Image: djexcaround.gif]
06-10-2007 02:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Exca
@Chris: you need to chill out dude, we already know you're the best
I'm not the best. Far from it.
quote:
What about the sueing thing? That's the most stupid thing i've ever heard.
It's discrimination.

Don't think it has happened?
Target Sued for Refusing to Make Website Accessible, Sydney Olympics Accessibility Complaint, Hotels.com Sued Over Disabled Access, Southwest & American Airlines Sued.
quote:
The Microsoft Surface site is a product demonstration site which requires that level of animation/audio/video provided by Flash which cannot be delivered in another format.
quote:
If you think Xeeder would need to go back and relearn coding; you must be blind. He didn't graduate for nothing, in fact, he's just the same as you and many companies are willing to hire him because of the great work he deliveres.

He doesn't need to go back and re-learn. He just needs to be educated about this stuff and the teacher who taught him needs to go back and re-learn.

Also - you don't need to be smart to graduate. You just need to pass. I'm not saying his dumb - but just because he has graduated from something doesn't mean he is good. I know people who haven't attended any kind of tertiary education facilities who are more successful than myself and can deliver work of a higher quality.

As for people hiring him - I doubt that is via his portfolio site.

This post was edited on 06-10-2007 at 02:29 PM by surfichris.
06-10-2007 02:23 PM
stoshrocket

formerly methos

33 / Male / Flag
quote:

The total size of the swf file is 288KB, that takes about 0,5 seconds to load for people with a broadband connection and about 4,8 seconds for people with a smallband connection. Sorry but people who can't wait that long just aren't worth it to visit the site. Anyway if I had done it without flash it would certainly have been more than 288KB and it would be much slower because the visitor would have to load multiple files.

Also, that's assuming all or most of the internet connection is dedicated to loading this site,- I'm on 2mb broadband and typically (along with many internet users) run WLM, a torrent engine/p2p client and many tabs in firefox while browsing, I know of few people who do one task at a time. When I loaded your website it took around 8 seconds to load, not a long time, but considering many people have an attention span that is minimal, it can be crucial. I think the statistic was something like 3 seconds to load or the average surfer will loose interest (that is when someone is used to instant loading with broadband). Using JS would greatly reduce it's loading time and make it near instant, I know I could code it under 288kb. ;)

BTW: I'm not having a go or critisising at all, the site itself I love, it's a great design, I'm just stating a fact is all, no insulting or any comment of the such meant by it :happy:
formerly methos
06-10-2007 02:29 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Xeeder

RE: RE: New Website
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
quote:
What about the sueing thing? That's the most stupid thing i've ever heard.
It's discrimination.

Don't think it has happened?
Target Sued for Refusing to Make Website Accessible, Sydney Olympics Accessibility Complaint.
quote:

That's ridiculous, i know Americans are great in sueing other Americans for the most stupid things (see http://www.jodysgarage.com/lawsuits.htm) but that's just childish and not the way it's done here in Belgium. Like Exca said, we are not obligated to even HAVE a website!

quote:
The Microsoft Surface site is a product demonstration site which requires that level of animation/audio/video provided by flash.

The AmbiSquad website is a DJ Squad site wich requires that level of animation/audio/(and soon) video provided by flash.

quote:
quote:

He doesn't need to go back and re-learn. He just needs to be educated about this stuff and the teacher who taught him needs to go back and re-learn.

My personal opinion is that you could use some education in designing too, your MyBB logo for example or the colorpicking on your blog I would rather describe as 'not looking professional'. In coding you might be good (and you don't mind to mention that, as others here) but thats not all you know.

I happen to work as a web-developer for various projects (big and little one's) also used by people all over the world too so 'before you start on my knowledge and question me...' no i'm not that kind of a person... :rolleyes:

quote:
Also - you don't need to be smart to graduate. You just need to pass. I'm not saying his dumb - but just because he has graduated from something doesn't mean he is good. I know people who haven't attended any kind of tertiary education facilities who are more successful than myself and can deliver work of a higher quality.

That's maybe because there's a problem with the system of educating in your country.

quote:
As for people hiring him - I doubt that is via his portfolio site.

Where do you think the projects on the portfolio come from???
And no, people don't only hire me via my portfolio, I've had many other projects than just these ones.

This post was edited on 06-10-2007 at 03:06 PM by Xeeder.
06-10-2007 03:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
i don't like seeing anoying page refreshes everytime I click a menu-item,
You could very easily use ajax.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
06-10-2007 03:06 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Xeeder

RE: RE: New Website
quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
quote:
i don't like seeing anoying page refreshes everytime I click a menu-item,
You could very easily use ajax.

I know, i use ajax in alot of my other projects and I like it very much. But i had to be prepared for adding some animations (flash) in the future so I used flash for this one.
06-10-2007 03:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
Sigh, stop whinging. There are plenty of flash-based sites out there and if they feel that flash suits them the most then let them use flash.

That being said the site looks great. I have my speakers off (other people in the house) so I can't comment on this properly, but considering that the site is based around music, I don't see why music can't be played in the background - there are plenty of flash sites with bg music and this is probably one of the only ones which has a good reason for it.
06-10-2007 03:24 PM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
Personally I agree with Chris on all of his issues that he brings to the fore.

The disabled might be a minority but that does not mean they are to be excluded further and by posting a web page on the internet you are making it for EVERYONE to view, they did not choose to be disabled so you could at least show a little compassion and make it viewable by all (even if it means a little bit longer to code).

288kb is a large file size for any website with as much text as yours.  If it were 28.8kb then it might have been a different story but I could write enough javascript to replicate a fully, almost seem less looking, animated webpage (much like one in flash, but with a whole lot more animation than yours) using only PHP and Javascript.  Furthermore I believe anyone who has been serious about webdesign for more than 9 months should be at the same caliber.

Colours and logos are only a minor issue when it comes to webdesign as they are not what makes the website function, but are just the icing on the cake and can be changed easily if you decided to go in a different direction.  They should only paint on a house, it is the structure beneath that makes it a building.

There is nothing in that website that could not have been made through PHP/ASP and Javascript (with room for expansion) with an end result that is happy for any person and is compatible with search engines, online translators and the likes.

I did not mean to sound rude towards your work in any way, but want you to realise that there are other factors that you need to take into consideration when designing and coding webpages.
[Image: markee.png]
06-10-2007 04:06 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: