What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Please people

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Please people
Author: Message:
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Please people
Blame the public, they should be voting for/against scripts properly and then you'll be able to tell which scripts are worth downloading and which are not. Also, the 'Coolpicks' category already exists for promoting unique or special scripts.

This post was edited on 06-10-2007 at 02:30 PM by Volv.
06-10-2007 02:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
cooldude_i06

I'm so cool I worry myself.

– / Male / –
I disagree, people should be able to create what ever scripts they want. You don't start out by creating awesome scripts the first time. The people who are creating these "useless" script you speak of, might end up creating an awesome script that you can't live without. So don't download them if you don't want them, simple.
[Image: clb2.jpg]
06-10-2007 09:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
roflmao456
Skinning Contest Winner

29 / Male / Flag
ppl can download whichever script they want... wide choice of selection..

people are different, they want different scripts....
everybody cannot be the same...
[quote]
Ultimatess6
: What a noob mod
06-10-2007 11:29 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
Heh... back in the days of Messenger Plus 2.6

they had like a few commands which sent text and once someone with msgplus recieved it, it would play a sound ("Heyaa...", "Mwahahahha" etc) and they had no purpose at all (they have now evolved into the popular soundclips), but they were the reason I got plus in the first place.

Not everyone is looking for good useful features.

Some people are just looking for a bit of entertainment while using messenger :)
06-10-2007 11:36 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
Sometimes simple is better than complex.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
06-11-2007 02:28 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ICD
its good practice for people trying to learn to code. they're only showing others what they can do, even if they are crap =p other forum members can show them better ways/improving scripts that they make.

if you dont want it dont get it. simple as. but dont put down the peopl that are trying to learn how to do them.
you never know they come up with a really good script....

Totaly agreed with you, ICD!!!

Also, just adding that, all the simple scripts created were/are used for studying how to code and for improvement of techiques...
And, about the "Auto Hey or auto Sup or auto bla" as the Thread Creator mensioned, if I'm not wrong thay are the ones first released, as people were trying to learn and improve on the coding.....

This post was edited on 06-11-2007 at 02:47 AM by MicroWay.
06-11-2007 02:46 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ICD
its good practice for people trying to learn to code. they're only showing others what they can do, even if they are crap =p other forum members can show them better ways/improving scripts that they make.

if you dont want it dont get it. simple as. but dont put down the peopl that are trying to learn how to do them.
you never know they come up with a really good script....
The problem and issue is not people trying to learn and make something and posting their code on the forums...

The issue is that sometimes bad programmed stuff (and badly copied stuff) ends up in the database too. Which is what I think is the problem as they are poorly coded (and indeed kind of useless for many people).

People who do want to learn something download something from the database expecting it to be 'examples' of how it needs to be done. And in the end learning the wrong thing.

Of course people can download what they want and of course people have different tastes (thank God for that :p). But the database should mostly be about quality, imho. Also, if people dont vote properly how would others know a script is crap and how would they know not to download it?

So saying "don't download it then" doesn't add up here. You need to download it to know it is crap.

--

Currently you can't vote for programming quality, you can only vote in general. And thus this also includes votes of people who think something is useless while the script itself is very good coded. Or vice versa, votes of people who find a script usefull, yet the script is full of errors and bad code.

Also, scripts which don't recieve a vote are categorized _lower_ than scripts which recieved bad votes. This isn't correct either... And the number of downloads isn't a garantuee for quality either.

quote:
Originally posted by markee
I know what you are trying to say, but I think what you should be saying is that people should only submit quality scripts to the scripts database and tougher restrictions on those going in.  I still feel there should be scripts of a lower quality submitted to the forums for others to look at and give feedback so the people who make it can improve their skills.  We all have to start somewhere but there should be limits to what they are allowed.

(...)

the original script developer should have been advised to put it on the forum and ask for some guidance in how to improve it rather than instant submission because of it's uniqueness.

This post was edited on 06-11-2007 at 07:46 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-11-2007 07:27 AM
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The issue is that sometimes bad programmed stuff (and badly copied stuff) ends up in the database too. Which is what I think is the problem as they are poorly coded (and indeed kind of useless for many people).

And that's exactly what I tried to explain earlier. The scripting database is some sort of "Hall of Fame" for the scripts, a script should deserve a place there if it's a beautiful example of good coding and decent error-handling where people can learn from. For "trial" scripts (sorry to call them like that), the Scripts forum is set up to let others give suggestions and notes about what could have been done better and what should be avoided.
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
06-11-2007 04:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: