What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Confused

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Confused
Author: Message:
trishhau

O.P. Confused
First of all I would like to say Hi to everyone.  I am new here.  In fact I am new to computers.  I have downloaded a product code for a piece of software that came with my computer.  When I open the the download it is just a bunch of letters and numbers and jumble and tells me to burn or mount and the code is in the jumble.  Does anyone know what this means, or do I just delete it and forget about the software.

Thanks
^o)
06-11-2007 08:09 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Confused
Hello,
Firstly in the folder (Windows XP) go to Tools > Folder Options, click on the 'View' tab and untick the box which says "Hide extensions for known file types".
Then tell us what extension the file has which you're trying to open (an extension is the combination of letters following the period or full stop in the filename eg. "Hello.exe" would have the extension of "exe").
If the extension is "nfo" then you need to open it up in Notepad or WordPad (open Notepad and drag the file into it).

It says your need to "burn or mount", this would probably suggest that there is some sort of CD/DVD 'image' included, are there any other files or is there just a single file?
06-11-2007 08:41 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
trishhau

O.P. RE: Confused
Thanks for responding, yes it is a NFO and I opened it using Notepad but its a jumble of characters, that sort of look like pictures, I tried burning it to CD but nothing happened.
06-11-2007 09:04 AM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
Yes, NFO files from torrents usually have some form of ascii art included.

You are not supposed to burn the NFO to cd though, like I asked before: are there any other files included or is it just the NFO one?
06-11-2007 09:08 AM
trishhau

O.P. RE: Confused
Sorry just the NFO file
06-11-2007 10:06 AM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
Ok, well since NFO files are only used to provide information and instructions you can't really do much but read it :p
You said that you were looking for a product key? Most product keys are written in the NFO files so are you sure it doesn't have the key you are looking for?

I think I should also mention that obtaining product keys to use software is illegal.
06-11-2007 10:10 AM
Verte

When you try to use the piece of software, it will probably ask for the product key. If not, it might be in one of the menus of the software [say, in the help menu].
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
06-12-2007 06:08 AM
user13774
Disabled Account

Just use a program like DAMN NFO viewer to view the .nfo file. That'll show all the letters and 'art' the may it is ment to be.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Text-ed...N-NFO-Viewer.shtml
06-15-2007 09:32 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Markus
Just use a program like DAMN NFO viewer to view the .nfo file. That'll show all the letters and 'art' the may it is ment to be.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Text-ed...N-NFO-Viewer.shtml
Usually nfo files can simply be opened in notepad/wordpad. That's what I open them in.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
06-16-2007 02:14 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user13774
Disabled Account

Notepad usually doesn't display it right. Wordpad does display the line breaks right, but it still doesn't show the 'art' exactly as it should. Programs like that NFO viewer or for example Notepad++ display it the right way.

This post was edited on 06-16-2007 at 04:53 PM by user13774.
06-16-2007 04:52 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: