What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » User's country flag in postbit

Pages: (25): « First « 6 7 8 9 [ 10 ] 11 12 13 14 » Last »
well.... you like it? :p
This poll is closed.
Yes 75 77.32%
No 8 8.25%
I dont care 14 14.43%
Total: 97 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

User's country flag in postbit
Author: Message:
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
RE: User's country flag in postbit
quote:
Originally posted by Damokun
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Lets have a total change in forum. Lets cancel the postbit thingy, and keep every info in a box like contact card of Windows Live Spaces. Then we can add lots of things inside it without annyoying any person. Also we don't have to download always same things about a member (Member cards' content will be downloaded when we click on Members' name). Also pages will be very short, especially ones which contains short messages like "hello". People who wants to view the info about member can click on his/her name. Maybe it is very strange for a forum, but maybe Forums will use this method in the future as a standard forum look, and lets we will be the first as, I don't know, the biggest international community.

Edit: I opened a poll in Poll Center, please vote for it. Here

[Image: attachment.php?pid=827841]
ew :(

Agreed, like, wtf? :(
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
06-16-2007 08:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
The contact card gave me an idea of using a little bit of javascrip and extending out the div with the information on click and showing more information.  Or possibly having minimal information and the contact card or something when you click it rather than having to go to a whole new page for their profile.

I do realise that we have to be considerate of people using 800x600 screens but can't you also show people wih large screens some consideration and allow us to be able to show a lot of information if we want (but when we ask for it, not all of the time ;))?

Maybe these things might be a bigger job and something to look into in the future, but they would give the board a great feel that ist found anywhere else....
[Image: markee.png]
06-16-2007 09:45 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
good point, individuality ftw.

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
06-16-2007 09:58 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by markee
For the people who don't see the point in the flags....
(y) :zippy:

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
Yer the flag is a good idea! please add it! please!
I will. I've got most of the code ready to go... might add it tomorrow. I'm in no hurry though. :p

quote:
Originally posted by markee
Maybe these things might be a bigger job and something to look into in the future,
Yeah.

quote:
but they would give the board a great feel that isn't found anywhere else....
Don't all Invision Boards have contact cards? lol 8-)

[Image: xfl23qbd-invision-card.png]
06-16-2007 10:28 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Don't all Invision Boards have contact cards?
First of all I didn't know.  Second, they don't have all of the information.  That one you showed is exactly a "Contact Card", I think what we would be after is more of an "Information Card" that has details about the person and maybe a button to "turn it over" for the contact information (kind of like the WLM contact cads have a second side to them).
06-16-2007 10:59 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

Can't you just click their username and go to their profile?

I honestly don't see why not.

What you're essentially doing is creating another interface to the profile page. When you add more and more interfaces there becomes several ways to accomplish the same task/view the same info and people become confused. Not to mention with extra interfaces you need to keep all of them maintained as well.
06-16-2007 12:07 PM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
The main reason behind it is convenience.  I do realise the hassle behind maintaining it but loading up a whole new page requires me to load up an entirely new page rather than just a little bit and look on a little interface. Have a look at my attachment to see how big and bulky a profile page looks too me.... and it requires me to head away from the thread i was reading to look up the information about the person to remind myself (or in the case of a new person, to find out in the first place).

I do realise that you guys have better things to do, but the idea of an "information card" I believe is great for it's convenience and allowing us to view the information in the thread while keeping the information to a minimum on the left.  I do also consider that this will make profile pages almost redundant, but couldn't we also say that the change of symbol in front of a forum on the index page is also redundant because of latest.php ?

I don't think we need this feature yet (as I stated before), but it might be something to think about for the future....

.png File Attachment: surfi_profile.png (177.91 KB)
This file has been downloaded 199 time(s).

This post was edited on 06-16-2007 at 12:25 PM by markee.
06-16-2007 12:23 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
What I find important is the usefull information, the info which, when put together, could give an idea of what the person knows or what his background is and how much he/she is familiar with the forum. This is a support forum in the first place, so I find such info more important than knowing from which country he/she came or what their gender is. Such info includes postcount, time of joining(!), rep, and maybe age.... All the rest is just 'interesting'...

I can sort of understand where you're coming from with time of joining, but I still think that the reputation is a far better indicator of the user's helpfulness rather than the time of joining.

I still think that we should get rid of the stars, they are completely redundant, and potentially dangerous as new member might think they are related to how helpful a user is. As you said, this is a support forum and so people just looking for help might think it has something to do with their seniority in the forum.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
06-16-2007 01:10 PM
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
I still think that we should get rid of the stars, they are completely redundant, and potentially dangerous as new member might think they are related to how helpful a user is

Good point imo. Also, some people try to post loads and loads just to get a bigger number of stars too :undecided:
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
06-16-2007 01:15 PM
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: User's country flag in postbit
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
At least get decent looking flags. http://famfamfam.com/lab/icons/flags/famfamfam_flag_icons.zip

With this pack of flags it would look very good.

I voted yes.

EDIT: pft..i always arrive late at things and miss all the fun.. well whatever

This post was edited on 06-16-2007 at 06:06 PM by paperless.
06-16-2007 06:05 PM
Pages: (25): « First « 6 7 8 9 [ 10 ] 11 12 13 14 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: