What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Exporting Renamed Contacts?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Exporting Renamed Contacts?
Author: Message:
Zodiak

42 / Male / –
O.P. Exporting Renamed Contacts?
Hello :)

I was wondering if there was anyway to export renamed contacts so that if I format I can get them all back again?

I know you can export the default contacts but I rename all of my contacts so that I know exactly who they are and I would like to retain those after a format.

If anyone can be of help, I would really appreciate it :)
06-17-2007 11:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts?
Since anyone didn't reply to you, you must know that people on here are waiting you to give more detailed information.

Are you using WLM or MSN Messenger? Which version number?

Are you using Messenger Plus? Are you using Messenger Plus! Live? Which version number?

How did you rename your contacts? Through WLM itself? or through Messenger Plus?

Edit: Zodiak is a silent member, eh? Joined on Aug 2006, first posted on Today.

This post was edited on 06-18-2007 at 06:22 PM by ahmetgns.
06-18-2007 06:19 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Zodiak

42 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts?
Hello!

You are right, I should have given more detail.

I am using Windows Live Messenger 8.1 and Messenger Plus! Live 4.23.0.276

Thank you for helping me! :)
Oh I am sorry. I was sick when I was little and treatments left me with very short-term memory :(

I often forget to check forums frequently unless i have that subscribe to thread option enabled

This post was edited on 06-20-2007 at 02:59 AM by Zodiak.
06-20-2007 02:58 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Since anyone didn't reply to you, you must know that people on here are waiting you to give more detailed information.
Not necessary... People who saw the post, maybe don't know an exactly answer... And it's comom to the first reply for asking more information... (Don't forget that the forum is visited by guests too)
So, Zodiak, don't worry about that...

quote:
Originally posted by Zodiak
Oh I am sorry. I was sick when I was little and treatments left me with very short-term memory :(
I often forget to check forums frequently unless i have that subscribe to thread option enabled
Don't worry about that, Zodiak!!! Members are welcome here, including those who are not "active" on forums.... You can post when you want... (Y)

Now, back on your question: Don't know exactly too, but I don't think is possible to export a renamed contact (as it's).. But, you can try to export the contacts and them see what happens on other account (if you have/can).

I've made a test with a friend.... Both of us have WLM 8.1 and Plus!4.23. On my computer/WLM I added a nick for a contact... Then signed out my account and signed in my account on my friend's computer.
Result: The contact that I had added a nick was appearing with the real name and not as the nick added...
In conclusion: with this test, I believe that the nicks added are stored on your computer (where they were added).... And, as a after-formated computer don't show "pre-formatation" added nicks, I suggest you to try the export opition (but before you format your computer, please ;))...
If doesn't work, and nobody gave another solution, what you can do is to make a list (for example: e-mail - nick added) so you can re-add the nick after formating.. (Yeah, I know this is "boring" if you have lot's of contacts)...

Also, another information: I've looked into Google, but nothing... BUT be free to search there again (maybe I've missed something)...

And, again. be welcomed to the forum!!! ;)

Edit1: Other people, as always, be free to add more info...
Edit2: Sorry about the English... :$ I'm little tired...

This post was edited on 06-20-2007 at 04:07 AM by MicroWay.
06-20-2007 04:02 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts?
quote:
Originally posted by MicroWay
Now, back on your question: Don't know exactly too, but I don't think is possible to export a renamed contact (as it's)..
It is possible to export a renamed contact, why not? (MicroWay, I know you didn't mean that), but your nickname won't come to the new Windows Live account when imported, I have tested it, but this test has nothing to do with Zodiak's question.
quote:
I've made a test with a friend.... Both of us have WLM 8.1 and Plus!4.23. On my computer/WLM I added a nick for a contact... Then signed out my account and signed in my account on my friend's computer.
Result: The contact that I had added a nick was appearing with the real name and not as the nick added...
In conclusion: with this test, I believe that the nicks added are stored on your computer (where they were added).... And, as a after-formated computer don't show "pre-formatation" added nicks, I suggest you to try the export opition (but before you format your computer, please ;))...
Signing-in on another computer is something different, exporting contacts (renamed or not) to another Windows Live account is something different. Zodiak, you can format your computer, you won't lose your contacts' added nicknames after the format. The reason is quite simple: Added nicknames are stored on the server side.

MicroWay, why you couldn't see your custom nick for a contact of yours on your friend's computer, maybe your contact's added nickname couldn't be updated on the Messenger server if you changed it and signed out right after the change.

This post was edited on 06-20-2007 at 09:28 AM by ahmetgns.
06-20-2007 07:16 AM
trini

– / Female / Flag
I've formated more then once ,and always my custom nicknames did appear after format, so there is no need to back up those names.
06-20-2007 09:20 AM
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
MicroWay, why you couldn't see your custom nick for a contact of yours on your friend's computer, maybe your contact's added nickname couldn't be updated on the Messenger server if you changed it and signed out right after the change.
Strange, because when I signed back on my computer, the added nickname appeared without problems....

This post was edited on 06-24-2007 at 08:58 PM by MicroWay.
06-20-2007 07:55 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Strange, because when I signed back on my computer, the added nickname appeared without problems....
Actually it is not strange. I sometimes experience this behaviour when I change my display name. For example I change it, use Messenger for a while, then sign out, and then go another computer and sign in but I can't see sometimes my last updated display name on that computer. But when I come back to the former computer, I see my new display name on it. I think it is because when we change it, it can immediately be changed on the cache of Messenger on our computer, but updating server may require some time, I don't know exactly though. I am writing all of these with my experiences while using Messenger.
06-20-2007 08:02 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts?
quote:
Nobody was waiting...

As Microway said, either people didn't know the correct answer and thus didn't posted (unlike others, right ahmetgns?), or the thread wasn't noticed because newer threads were pushing it further away from the top list...

Bottom line, he didn't had to give any more information. He gave all the info somone needed in order to answer his question!...

quote:
Are you using WLM or MSN Messenger? Which version number?

Are you using Messenger Plus? Are you using Messenger Plus! Live? Which version number?

How did you rename your contacts? Through WLM itself? or through Messenger Plus?
Not only aren't those questions needed, it is also three times the same question...

quote:
quote:
Now, back on your question: Don't know exactly too, but I don't think is possible to export a renamed contact (as it's)..
It is possible to export a renamed contact, why not? (MicroWay, I know you didn't mean that)
stop posting if you don't know what you're talking about, djeeez.

it is NOT, I repeat, NOT possible to export renamed contacts AS-IS. Just as Microway said!! And he DID meant what he said.

quote:
blahblahblah.... I have tested it, but this test has nothing to do with Zodiak's question.

Signing-in on another computer is something different, exporting contacts (renamed or not) to another Windows Live account is something different.
It got EVEYRTHING todo with his question.

If you don't understand what is being asked then don't post, ffs.

Zodiak asked a question and he already gave all the info needed to get an answer. All this blahblah wasn't needed at all, a simple:
- if you use MSN Messenger with Plus! 3, do this and if you use WLM with Plus! Live, contact information is already roaming...

That's all.

ffs....
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-20-2007 11:16 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
If you consider that this thread was on Messenger Plus! Extension Help&Support forum originally, then I might have some right to ask for his exact question. Still I don't think you'll admit that I may have right.

Also if only you always post short replies like "- if you use MSN Messenger with Plus! 3, do this..." which answer only the question which is asked by people when you reply to people here who ask for help.

Edit: Please don't reply to me on this thread any more.

This post was edited on 06-21-2007 at 08:34 AM by ahmetgns.
06-21-2007 08:34 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: