What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Exporting Renamed Contacts?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Exporting Renamed Contacts?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts?
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
If you consider that this thread was on Messenger Plus! Extension Help&Support forum originally, then I might have some right to ask for his exact question.
What has that got anything todo with this? Even if this thread was on my toilet paper roll, it wouldn't have changed it one bit.

quote:
Still I don't think you'll admit that I may have right
1) no you are not.
2) "may have right"? I thought you had [quote:]perfect English skills[endquote].

quote:
Also if only you always post short replies like "- if you use MSN Messenger with Plus! 3, do this..." which answer only the question which is asked by people when you reply to people here who ask for help.
If only you would only post when you know what you're talking about...

If respected long time members like MicroWay explain something correctly, who are you then to say what they need to do or that they are posting bull shit?

Get your *beeping* head out of your ass and look some things up. If a question requires a detailed post then I write a detailed post, if a question can do with a short answer (like this one) I would write a short answer.

And as a matter of fact, I had this thread marked for answering in my todo list and I already wrote my answer for it. Only to come back to it two days later to see that you posted that totally useless crap, while he could have got his answer in the first reply post.

quote:
Edit: Please don't reply to me on this thread any more.
fu

This post was edited on 06-21-2007 at 09:27 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-21-2007 09:12 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Zodiak

42 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts?
Hello friends!

I am sorry for forgetting again lol. I just formatted :)

I know that you do not lose your contacts on msn, what I mean is that you lose the custom names you asign to them.

Say you know your friend Rob and Joe from somewhere but you always get the two mixed up. You can select one and press F2 to rename him from @%&&#%(&#%)(%&( to Rob and #@$(&% to Joe.

I always rename my contacts and this is what you end up losing when you format your computer that I had wished to keep.

Under my own doing, I did manage to find out how to backup this information, this is for those who are interested in knowing :)

go to your Start Button>type regedit

Now Following the following Path

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou

Make sure you have selected the Patchou folder and then go to Fike>Export then save your file as something like MSN Custom Names.reg

When you want to restore all of your custom names, open up Regedit again, go to File and Import your custom reg file :)

Didnt know it was that simple, I am very computer inclined so I managed a solution by myself.

I really appreciate all the help you friends have been giving me

Thank you!
06-23-2007 01:28 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts?
quote:
Originally posted by Zodiak
Hello friends!

I am sorry for forgetting again lol. I just formatted :)

I know that you do not lose your contacts on msn, what I mean is that you lose the custom names you asign to them.

Say you know your friend Rob and Joe from somewhere but you always get the two mixed up. You can select one and press F2 to rename him from @%&&#%(&#%)(%&( to Rob and #@$(&% to Joe.

I always rename my contacts and this is what you end up losing when you format your computer that I had wished to keep.
You said you use Windows Live Messenger. This means you also use Messenger Plus! Live.

In Windows Live Messenger (this is version 8 or higher) with Messenger Plus! Live the renaming of contacts is done within Windows Live Messenger, not within Messenger Plus!!

In MSN Messenger (version 7 or below) with Messenger Plus! 3, the renaming of contacts is done by Messenger Plus!.

The contact information, including the nick names you've set, in Windows Live Messenger is handled by Messenger and is roaming. This means that it is stored on the msn servers and that you will NOT loose this information when you login on another computer and/or when you format.

The custom nicknames you've set in MSN Messenger with Messenger Plus! 3, is handled by Messenger Plus! and thus is stored in the registry and can be exported from within Messenger Plus!'s preferences window.

quote:
Under my own doing, I did manage to find out how to backup this information, this is for those who are interested in knowing :)

go to your Start Button>type regedit

Now Following the following Path

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou
Wrong...

That information is only for Messenger Plus! 3. Messenger Plus! 3 can only be used with MSN Messenger...

So, backing up that information under that registry key is totally useless if you're using Windows Live Messenger with Messenger Plus! Live....

Moreover, even IF you used MSN Messenger with Messenger Plus! 3 (instead of what you've said before) you do not need to go to the registry to back things up. In Messenger Plus! 3 you can already export all your settings, which include Messenger Plus! 3 custom contact names, from within the preferences screen.

quote:
I really appreciate all the help you friends have been giving me
Too bad you were given very incomplete and confusing information which lead to this post you've made just now....

This post was edited on 06-23-2007 at 02:40 AM by CookieRevised.
06-23-2007 02:37 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MicroWay
Anyway.. nice to know this too...
Thanks ahmetgns and trini for the information... :)
Edited because of the next facts...
MicroWay, what are those facts which lead you to strike out those sentences. I would like to know...
quote:

Zodiak, you can format your computer, you won't lose your contacts' added nicknames after the format. The reason is quite simple: Added nicknames are stored on the server side.
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

- if you use MSN Messenger with Plus! 3, do this and if you use WLM with Plus! Live, contact information is already roaming...
I said that he could format without losing custom nicknames of his contacts.

CookieRevised, you wrote the simple sentence above which you claim it would be sufficient for Zodiak's question. And now you wrote the sentence below. Are you fine? If Zodiak can't understand something if he isn't given the detailed answer (though we don't know yet if he understood your post), is it our fault?
quote:
Too bad you were given very incomplete and confusing information which lead to this post you've made just now....
And I don't always feel myself to have to give the complete info about a subject. My replies target only to the question which is asked here and most of the cases they're sufficient.
06-23-2007 07:54 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
CookieRevised, you wrote the simple sentence above which you claim it would be sufficient for Zodiak's question. And now you wrote the sentence below. Are you fine? If Zodiak can't understand something if he isn't given the detailed answer (though we don't know yet if he understood your post), is it our fault?
Please read my posts properly. Yes, it is your fault. I wrote what I wrote because of all the other posts in this thread. I said a proper answer like that would have been sufficient as a first reply. And my previous posts is very obviously made after he is confused, not before it. :rolleyes::dodgy:

quote:
And I don't always feel myself to have to give the complete info about a subject.
Give proper info or don't post at all. Otherwise you get threads like this.

This post was edited on 06-23-2007 at 09:13 AM by CookieRevised.
06-23-2007 09:11 AM
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MicroWay
Anyway.. nice to know this too...
Thanks ahmetgns and trini for the information... :)
Edited because of the next facts...
Edited again.... ;)
Sorry for my "unthink" thing... :)

This post was edited on 06-24-2007 at 09:04 PM by MicroWay.
06-23-2007 01:12 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: