What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » HP: DH (Predictions)

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 » Last »
Who do you think will die?
This poll is closed.
Harry Potter 3 8.82%
Lord Voldemort (Tom Marvolo Riddle) 10 29.41%
Both 19 55.88%
None (Maverick, eh?) 2 5.88%
Total: 34 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

HP: DH (Predictions)
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: HP: DH (Predictions)
quote:
Originally posted by methos
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Nice idea methos.... I wouldn't have thought of it.... maybe Harry's killing curse kills Voldy and somehow it backfires and makes harry a squib/muggle
Something inside me is just saying he's not gonna die, and the only other real way it would be hard to continue from the novels would be to remove the magic.
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
JK recently said (on Jonathan Ross?) that she MIGHT continue the story years and years from now, so killing Harry would seriously mess up her ideas... (if he was dead and she carried on, she couldn't call them "Harry Potter" books anymore, but just books set in the same world)
Who says that when HP dies the books can't continue or that it can't be called "HP books" anymore?

You could make perfect stories about how the ghost Harry Potter has many more adventures, or how Harry tries to find his magic again, etc. And who says there is not an, yet unknown, spell to bring Harry back to life or to give somebody magic? What I mean is, people dying is by no means the end of a story, nor is loosing magic, especially not in hocus pocus land...

The only thing you can be sure of is that a lot of people will be dissapointed, a lot will find it the "coolest book yet" (like it was with almost every book (and film)... I mean... it can not get keeping better and better, sometimes there is dip), that alternative endings will be put on the net by amature writers, etc...

(I also think HP is hyped up a bit (way) too much, but blah)

This post was edited on 07-14-2007 at 09:47 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-14-2007 09:46 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: HP: DH (Predictions)
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And who says there is not an, yet unknown, spell to bring Harry back to life or to give somebody magic?

JKR did. She said that being dead and staying dead is one of the most fundemental things in the whole book. Otherwise it basically undermines the whole point of the series.

It was in a really early interview, like before the fourth book came out.

Also, this might be a good time to explain the two book rule.

A lot of fans have theorised that JKR introduces key elements into the series early so when they are used importantly, we already are familiar with them.

For example, in book 1, McGonagall transformed from a cat into a human, outside Harry's house. Introducing animagi, two books later in PoA, the animagi become a very important part of the whole book.

In book 2 (CoS), Harry, Ron and Hermione use polyjuice potion. It wasn't really an important part of the story line, and if it wasn't in the book, wouldn't really effect the story. Two books later, in GoF, Polyjuice potions become very important as Moody is actually an imposter using said potion.

In book 3 (PoA), Trelawny gives a prophecy to Harry, again, not very important to the story line, 2 books later and the prophecy becomes the "game changer" of the whole series in OotP.

In book 4 (GoF), Harry accidently uses the pensive in DD's office. In HBP, DD and Harry use the pensive extensively.

Which means something in OotP will be crucial to the plotline of DH.

Although, another thing I thought was that you can consider the first 6 books as two trilogies. Which mirror each other.

For example:

PS/SS: Unsuccesful attempt to bring back Voldemort from the dead.
CoS: Voldemort tries to get into Harry and Ginny's minds in order to bring himself back from the dead.
PoA: Voldemort wasn't even involved in the book, but his aide comes out of the woodwork to help him (although the person we thought was his aide actaully wasn't).

That was the first trilogy in the series.

Trilogy 2:

GoF: A succesful attempt at bringing back Voldie from the dead.
OotP: Voldie infiltrates Harry's mind in order to get something in return
HBP: Voldemort not involved in the book, an apparant aide comes out of the woodwork to help him.

Now two things from that:

1) In PoA, the person we thought was working for voldemort wasn't, so maybe Snape isn't working for voldemort either, as that would be the obvious conclusion.

2) Since the first 6 books are so obviously linked, maybe it is a sign that book 7 will be a complete departure from the rest of the series, and so things like the 2 book rule can be discarded.

This post was edited on 07-14-2007 at 10:06 AM by saralk.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
07-14-2007 09:50 AM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
CoS: Voldemort tries to get into Harry and Ginny's minds in order to bring himself back from the dead.
Not true, the book as we now know was a horcrux, and the book held instructions to letting the monster live. He could never have come alive, he just possessed ginny.
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

07-14-2007 10:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Rik

31 / Male / Flag
I hope she surprise us.
But i think they'll die both in a very large fight and magicians and muggles will live in harmony in the end:P
07-14-2007 10:40 AM
Nefzen

ahh! my fingers! my fingers!

34 / Male / Flag
hmmm if Voldemort dies, it's ok, but if Harry dies. . .
no sequels. QED.
meh it'll be annoying if Harry died just now. . .
he should have died ages ago.
07-14-2007 10:40 AM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Not true, the book as we now know was a horcrux, and the book held instructions to letting the monster live. He could never have come alive, he just possessed ginny.

Actually when he is in the chamber he is actually sucking life out of Ginny, if he didn't stab the diary with the fang, then Tom Riddle would've come back to life and Ginny would die.
Est. 1989
07-14-2007 10:50 AM
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Hmmm, *Me* goes and reads the whole series before the new HP book comes out :P

07-14-2007 11:08 AM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Damokun
I really don't see why there's any doubt whether Voldemort will die or not, you can't end such a series with the hero dying and evil winning, it's ridiculous. ._.

I dunno, to quote Dumbledore

quote:
"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."
Est. 1989
07-14-2007 11:24 AM
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
I think he means that, you can defeat one evil person but someone will take over.

This post was edited on 07-14-2007 at 11:27 AM by Nathan.

07-14-2007 11:27 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The hero winning and the enemy dying is sooooooo oldschool and cliché and predictable, maybe that is a reason why it wont happen...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-14-2007 11:36 AM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: