What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Which OS is better?

Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
Poll: Which?
Windows
Mac
Linux
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Which OS is better?
Author: Message:
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Which OS is better?
quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
Edit : And you have no idea about what Shawnz said so..
erm.. Yes I do..

Stop being such a prick and go make love to ATI.

You do? So comprove it, show data and compare benchmarks and specs, pros and cons.. Oh and without asking Shawnz for it preferably.
The world is yours
06-26-2007 03:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
stoshrocket

formerly methos

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Which OS is better?
quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
You do? So comprove it, show data and compare benchmarks and specs, pros and cons.. Oh and without asking Shawnz for it preferably.

WHY THE HELL DOES IT MATTER?
You like ATI, They like Nvidia, end of. Lets get back to the topic... jeez

On another note, I've been a windows user for a lot of my cyber life, so I'm gonna have to go down that route. Tbh, (im not saying this is true, just in my experience) macs seem to come with pretty crummy graphics cards, but I havent looked into it too deeply. Either way, when I tried out a mac it just wasn't for me.

This post was edited on 06-26-2007 at 04:04 PM by stoshrocket.
formerly methos
06-26-2007 04:02 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by methos

WHY THE HELL DOES IT MATTER?
You like ATI, They like Nvidia, end of. Lets get back to the topic... jeez
It doesn't matter at all, the thing is that's the way you start a rumor. He says some random stuff, blames it on a company and everyone unexperienced who reads this thread gets the wrong impression! I don't love ATI, nor nVidia, I'm not a fanboy, I'm a fan of quality actually.

Edit : lol Dazzy crapped his pants

This post was edited on 06-26-2007 at 04:09 PM by Jhrono.
The world is yours
06-26-2007 04:06 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Lukas
Windows vista (Y)
Agreed. Best OS I've used so far.

I've never owned a Mac, nor used one extensively. I wouldn't say they're bad, but I don't like them, just the way they operate I think, Idk, maybe I'm just not used to it.

Linux I've never used for long either, but it is a bit of a hassle. especially if you've not used it before, but it can be fun, some nice features once you get things like Beryl going.

As for the whole ATI, nVidia thing. I've owned one ATI card and the rest all nVidia's, they pwn. Currently loving my 8800 GTS, no driver issues apart from a few at the start of Vista.(I agree, they're a bit bad with their drivers) But I can play all my games fine on Vista with it.
[Image: jumbled.png]
06-26-2007 04:08 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
EBFL

;o

31 / Male / Flag
Well, i voted windows as i have only experienced windows...but i was thinking of getting ubuntu, so should i or just leave windows XP?
I'm awesome

06-26-2007 04:08 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
stoshrocket

formerly methos

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
Windows vista (Y)
Really? That makes a change, when vista came out no-one had a good thing to say about it, now all the drivers are being released and things have settled down it seems people are singing vista'a praises.... Still, it's a bit of a hefty fee just to upgrade from XP (especially with office 2007!).
formerly methos
06-26-2007 04:11 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Which OS is better?
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
Windows vista (Y)

(Y) And I agree too.. I haven't had any problems with games, drivers or software yet. (Home Premium 32 Bits here btw, I believe the 64 bits edition has a lot more issues)

I've never used Mac but they look cool.. However compability in Windows is something other operative systems will take a will to catch up with..

Linux was never a pleasent experience for me, don't know why, I never became familiar with it, maybe because I'm not a power user with all the knowledge it requires.

quote:
Originally posted by methos

Really? That makes a change, when vista came out no-one had a good thing to say about it, now all the drivers are being released and things have settled down it seems people are singing vista'a praises.... Still, it's a bit of a hefty fee just to upgrade from XP (especially with office 2007!).

Yeah, I was reluctant too when I upgraded but I was quite amazed with what I found.. Most things you read are quite fake, I've got everything I had on XP installed and working properly.. Plus it's not slow at all. As a matter of fact, it's a lot more pleasent to use than XP!

The change of reactions was expected, people just don't know how to wait :tongue:

This post was edited on 06-26-2007 at 04:15 PM by Jhrono.
The world is yours
06-26-2007 04:12 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
I voted Linux & Windows. Bet you never thought you'd see those two together now, did you?

Now in general, I have to admit what I'm about to say will be even more "wtf?"... but OS X is too simple. It's *boring* in its simplicity. Ooh, surf the net ("safely"), load some pictures onto it, pay £250 for Photoshop to edit them (cause no one warez's mac programs), etc.

Now, Windows. Gamez! (And warez, tbqfh). Lots of them. Fun. And it's fairly speedy, at least XP is. I'm not a fan of Vista. Actually I hate it so much I wiped this laptops Vista without even backing it up and put XP (dual-boot with Kubuntu on it) on. I think it's problem is that it tries to take some of Linux's ideas (prompt for password before format, etc) but takes it far too far. What's worse is that Mac users turn around at Aero and say "oh, we've had a UI like that for-ever!", when in reality both suck. It's like a speed-stripe on a car. "Oh look at him, he's cool. I'll be that makes his car go 10mph faster!" (When in reality Aero makes Vista about 20-30% slower, for some reason).

Anyway. Could be complaining about that forever. Why Linux? Cause it's fun. It doesn't even need games to be fun (although it has a few, UT and NWN, etc.). It's free isn't really an argument, cause I have so many XP licenses lying about from oldish PCs it's unbelievable. But in saying that, most Linux distro's have very easy package managers which give you access to a crap-load of software. I believe the entire Debian v4 release is 9DVDs big. (That's around 40GB of software, compressed, although you can download the 180MB install CD and be up and running, albeit in text mode ;)).

The reason, IMO, that adults don't like Linux was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

For those holding out on Linux, go buy (or warez, for the Windows users ;)) Acronis DiskDirector Suite, resize your NTFS partition to half, then download Ubuntu Linux 7.04 and install it in the free space on your hard disk. You won't be disappointed, unless you're stupid. Or an adult that only tries once. Although you may get it on the first try.

Kay, I wrote an essay when I didn't mean to. But I think I got my point across. :D

End note: ATi are now owned by AMD so they may get better. Although both AMD and ATi are currently trailing in the markets. ATi Linux drivers are the equivalent of a two year old driving a 10 ton truck. ATi Windows drivers are better, however they're not quite as good as nVidia's Forceware package, but I've had both crash on me and do other horrible things.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
06-26-2007 10:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
(cause no one warez's mac programs)
actually, there are tons of mac warez

first result for "cs3 mac"
Adobe CS3 Design Premium Suit » software mac ^ 419 v 563

quote:
For those holding out on Linux, go buy (or warez, for the Windows users ;)) Acronis DiskDirector Suite, resize your NTFS partition to half, then download Ubuntu Linux 7.04 and install it in the free space on your hard disk. You won't be disappointed, unless you're stupid.
the ubuntu cd comes with gparted =/
06-26-2007 11:18 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:

End note: ATi are now owned by AMD so they may get better.

lol They have been for quite a while and only shame has come to both companies.. Lets hope they raise again, because competition is good for everyone
quote:

ATi Windows drivers are better, however they're not quite as good as nVidia's Forceware package
Quite true, nVidia's drivers are always more optimized.
quote:
but I've had both crash on me and do other horrible things.
I've only had problems with Ati drivers, barg, which just proves your point above :)
The world is yours
06-26-2007 11:34 PM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: