What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Vista over Ubuntu

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Vista over Ubuntu
Author: Message:
LifelesS

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. Vista over Ubuntu
Well the subject looks kind of heird I know... :P

I'm going to format my pc, still don't know when, but I will, and I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu (or Fedora) and then install VMWare and run Vista on it.. I need some opinions about it. Does anyone suggest anything else, but alike?

I'm thinking of doing it that way because linux is 'virus safe' short of..... I would just have a firewall in the linux and I could run windows virus free...
Best Regards,
Joćo Godinho
08-05-2007 08:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
RE: Vista over Ubuntu
If you are unsure, why not just get both? dual boot is a great option, assuming you have the disk space. you'll want at least 3 partitions, one for each OS, plus one shared (FAT32). you'll want at least 20GB for each OS.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
08-05-2007 08:27 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
LifelesS

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Vista over Ubuntu
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
If you are unsure, why not just get both? dual boot is a great option, assuming you have the disk space. you'll want at least 3 partitions, one for each OS, plus one shared (FAT32). you'll want at least 20GB for each OS.

I didn't mean that. I meant running one over the other using VMWare Workstation:)

Its allows you to create a virtual machine and I wanted to use it because linux is basicly virus free, so I would have linux installed, then on the virtual machine install Vista and use it on full screen. But they're both running...

Now that I'm thinking, I have an old computer which I could turn into a server. I have wireless because I have several computers on my house, so if I had linux on the server and the router there, it would filter anyway *-) (and save space on my own pc... :P)
Best Regards,
Joćo Godinho
08-05-2007 08:32 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
http://www.wynia.org/wordpress/2007/05/04/running...-vmware-on-ubuntu/
08-05-2007 10:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
LifelesS

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
http://www.wynia.org/wordpress/2007/05/04/running...-vmware-on-ubuntu/

LOL :o

Thanks ^^

edit:

I already have 1Gb of RAM and I'm thinking of buying 2x1Gb more... That way I could have 512Mb or 1Gb to linux and the rest to Vista...

This post was edited on 08-05-2007 at 10:55 PM by LifelesS.
Best Regards,
Joćo Godinho
08-05-2007 10:49 PM
Verte

This is sillyness. Sure, it will be a little more resilient to intentional hacks directed at the OS through HTTP. However, most exploits work through applications and dynamic web content, which you will still be running in Windows I presume. I don't think the performance loss is really worth it for what is essentially a firewall and an easy way to reinstall.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
08-06-2007 07:29 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
you'll want at least 3 partitions, one for each OS, plus one shared (FAT32).

ubuntu supports ntfs, and with a small download, windows supports EXT3...
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
08-06-2007 07:44 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Nefzen

ahh! my fingers! my fingers!

34 / Male / Flag
Just because the windows is inside Linux, doesn't mean it won't get Viruses :P
That's like... having iron out in the rain. Would it rust any less with a silver plate under it?

I have tried Fedora's Red Hat, and I was rather disappointed. After that I installed Ubuntu, and I have fount that it's much better :)
If you are going to install Ubuntu, you might want to use Easy Ubuntu, and try both Gnone and KDE environments to see which you like best.

As for NTFS support, well, as far as I know it's not 100% perfect, it can't quite write well on NTFS, but yes, Windows can easily support EXT3 though without the permissions, and it has caused me a certain "corruption" in the hard drive (which the Linux says is "uncontentious", but I believe it will be better in newer version (maybe even the current one, I installed mine a long time ago)
08-06-2007 10:42 AM
LifelesS

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nefzen
Just because the windows is inside Linux, doesn't mean it won't get Viruses :P
That's like... having iron out in the rain. Would it rust any less with a silver plate under it?

I have tried Fedora's Red Hat, and I was rather disappointed. After that I installed Ubuntu, and I have fount that it's much better :)
If you are going to install Ubuntu, you might want to use Easy Ubuntu, and try both Gnone and KDE environments to see which you like best.

As for NTFS support, well, as far as I know it's not 100% perfect, it can't quite write well on NTFS, but yes, Windows can easily support EXT3 though without the permissions, and it has caused me a certain "corruption" in the hard drive (which the Linux says is "uncontentious", but I believe it will be better in newer version (maybe even the current one, I installed mine a long time ago)

Who makes viruses to linux..? almost no one because it's not very used by 'regular people':P (although it's getting more popular). with it I don't have to install an antivirus on windows. though I would have firewall on both linux and windows. *-)

I've try (man! I never got this verb right, is it regular? does it has simple past like tried? bla! XD) Fedora Core 6, I liked it, although it's complicated, now I have ubuntu 7.0.4 on a VM, it's nice too.

I think I'll just make 2 partitions, a small one to linux and the rest to Vista, 'cause I'll be working on windows 98% of the time:P

sillyness..? I call it curiosity, I've never worked much with linux and I've wanted to try it out. Especially for programming... Besides, if I virus come to Vista, whatever, because on a VM it's like a shell.:)
Best Regards,
Joćo Godinho
08-06-2007 11:15 AM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by LifelesS
Who makes viruses to linux..?
The point is you're going to be Windows Vista on a virtual machine, not Linux. The point of a virtual machine is that it is essentially another computer altogether, it's not directly subject to linux's "protection". Sure, Linux might not be infected, but your virtual machine in itself is subject to all the dangers of any Vista PC.

What you're basically doing is forfeiting significant levels of performance and convenience for no apparent reason whatsoever, you're not gaining any security advantage on your Vista, the following statement is completely invalid:
quote:
Originally posted by LifelesS
I would just have a firewall in the linux and I could run windows virus free...

This post was edited on 08-06-2007 at 11:30 AM by Volv.
08-06-2007 11:26 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: