What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox?

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox?
Author: Message:
whizpopthat

RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox?
Refer to previous posts. Just configure your programs defaults, and then internet options, and open up firefox and make sure it's the default browser as well.
08-16-2007 04:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
FFinWLM

O.P. RE: RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox?
quote:
Originally posted by whizpopthat
Refer to previous posts. Just configure your programs defaults, and then internet options, and open up firefox and make sure it's the default browser as well.

I've already done that. Windows Live Mail still opens in IE.
08-16-2007 05:22 AM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
quote:

that is only for links in a conversation window.

if your after opening you hotmail in firefox, use stuffplug.

As stated already, Windows Live Messenger will force Hotmail to use internet explorer regardless of you default browser and regardless if you set your program defaults to it (and yes I have checked on all 3 of my windows xp computers). I don't think stuffplug would create such a feature if setting hotmail to open in firefox was as simple as setting it as a default browser

This post was edited on 08-16-2007 at 05:31 AM by MattyRid.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
08-16-2007 05:29 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
whizpopthat

Honestly, I've set it to that, and lets just say.. It worked, no StuffPlug. Nothing, I think I may have also gotten rid of access to IE because it just.... sucks.
08-16-2007 08:16 AM
FFinWLM

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
quote:

that is only for links in a conversation window.

if your after opening you hotmail in firefox, use stuffplug.

As stated already, Windows Live Messenger will force Hotmail to use internet explorer regardless of you default browser and regardless if you set your program defaults to it (and yes I have checked on all 3 of my windows xp computers). I don't think stuffplug would create such a feature if setting hotmail to open in firefox was as simple as setting it as a default browser

STUFFPLUG DOES NOT OPEN UP FIREFOX ON WINDOWS LIVE MAIL ON THE START MENU!

THAT'S WHAT I AM ASKING FOR HERE! IS THERE ANYTHING THAT DOES THAT?

My god...
08-18-2007 01:53 AM
whizpopthat

I know you are prob frustrated just set programs and everything right and defaults to firefox, even from tools and options and click check now. I have mine set to what you want.. without a plugin.
08-18-2007 09:03 AM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
whizpopthat, your method will not work in any way. If it was that easy, why would people ask this question? I mean, if someone wants to open his mail in firefox, they probably have set it as their default browser already. If not, then doing so won't solve the problem.

FFinWLM, If you use XP SP2 you can do the following (might work on Vista too, but I haven't tested):
-Open regedit
-Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Hotmail]
-Create a subkey called "DefaultIcon" (if it isn't there yet) [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Hotmail\DefaultIcon]
-Change/set the default value of the DefaultIcon key to "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\hmmapi.dll",0
-From the Hotmail key, navigate to shell\open\command [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Hotmail\shell\open\command]
-Set the default value of the command key to "%ProgramFiles%\path\to\firefox.exe" http://mail.live.com/

Now, I don't use Windows Live Mail, so I don't know if this method has the same functionality as with IE (eg. auto login, that kind of stuff), but it does open Windows Live Mail in Firefox from the start menu.
This probably won't change the way Windows Live Messenger opens the mail, so you might still need stuffplug to do it from there.

This post was edited on 08-18-2007 at 03:06 PM by Jesus.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
08-18-2007 03:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
FFinWLM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
whizpopthat, your method will not work in any way. If it was that easy, why would people ask this question? I mean, if someone wants to open his mail in firefox, they probably have set it as their default browser already. If not, then doing so won't solve the problem.

FFinWLM, If you use XP SP2 you can do the following (might work on Vista too, but I haven't tested):
-Open regedit
-Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Hotmail]
-Create a subkey called "DefaultIcon" (if it isn't there yet) [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Hotmail\DefaultIcon]
-Change/set the default value of the DefaultIcon key to "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\hmmapi.dll",0
-From the Hotmail key, navigate to shell\open\command [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Hotmail\shell\open\command]
-Set the default value of the command key to "%ProgramFiles%\path\to\firefox.exe" http://mail.live.com/

Now, I don't use Windows Live Mail, so I don't know if this method has the same functionality as with IE (eg. auto login, that kind of stuff), but it does open Windows Live Mail in Firefox from the start menu.
This probably won't change the way Windows Live Messenger opens the mail, so you might still need stuffplug to do it from there.

Do you want me to include the - '' - in those and the - http://mail.live.com/ - in the value datas?

This post was edited on 08-18-2007 at 08:45 PM by FFinWLM.
08-18-2007 08:44 PM
FFinWLM

O.P. RE: Windows Live Mail opening in Firefox?
That didn't work. I did nothing wrong as well, I copied/pasted the exact same thing you typed and I also tried taking out the - '' - as well as the http://mail.live.com/ you included but that didn't work.

Are you sure you gave me the right directions? Maybe I missed something but I tried several different ways including copying/pasting the exact same thing you told me to type in the value data.
08-18-2007 10:23 PM
whizpopthat

Like I said it works for me fine.
08-26-2007 07:17 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: