What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features

Pages: (7): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 » Last »
Poll: Should it be fixed or liquid?
Fixed (Stays in the center of the screen at a 1024x768 size, no matter what size your monitor is.)
Liquid (Gets bigger depending on your resolution)
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
[skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features
Author: Message:
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features
No, I wont,
Have you seen the new background? No. So instead of "assuming" why don't you just ask me on wlm and I shall explain.

I am going to keep the new background a surprise (so you better not show anyone Sonicsam ;))
(Sonicsam made it for me.)

This post was edited on 08-19-2007 at 07:02 PM by Nathan.
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

08-19-2007 07:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features
Well, from the screenshot you posted, the likeness, other than just the orange on black there's buildings in the top logo (not sure if you're referring to the background being the metallic type background image, or this image) and even the gradient goes from yellowy-orange to reddy-orange (reddy is in Firefox's default dictionary? :|) in the same way.

Seriously, a lot of people are going to turn round and be like "wow, it's like newgrounds."
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
08-19-2007 07:35 PM
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
a few of us were saying that in the spambox the other day :P

i do like the look though, but be careful, and keep it original =p

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
08-19-2007 07:46 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. What layout... fixed or liquid
Well the title says it all tbh. Would you like the new skoolfun's design fixed or liquid. I asked a few people on msn and there was a variety of different answers so please choose :)

(I tried to add the poll to skoolfun's current hread but couldn't. Reported to see if it can be merged.)

Admin edit: poll moved and threads merged.

This post was edited on 08-19-2007 at 11:02 PM by WDZ.

08-19-2007 08:30 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I thought it was instantly the same. The colour scheme, layout and little tweaks like the login bar all add up to it looking very similar. Plus I don't like the newsgrounds design, it's very dark and hard to navigate :rolleyes:.

This post was edited on 08-19-2007 at 09:27 PM by absorbation.
08-19-2007 09:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I thought it was instantly the same. The colour scheme, layout and little tweaks like the login bar all add up to it looking very similar. Plus I don't like the newsgrounds design, it's very dark and hard to navigate :rolleyes:.

I'll be honest, I've only ever been on New Grounds once or twice, but for some reason, as soon as I saw it, I was like, wtf, is that a Screenshot of New Grounds... so I went and checked their site, and it's pretty similar.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
08-19-2007 09:35 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
No, I wont,
Have you seen the new background? No. So instead of "assuming" why don't you just ask me on wlm and I shall explain.

I am going to keep the new background a surprise (so you better not show anyone Sonicsam ;))
(Sonicsam made it for me.)
Calm down Mr. Rude. I saw that design, and was commenting solely on that design. Even without the damn background it's too damn similar to newgrounds and you very well know it. There's no need for you to be so rude with me; I'm one of your staff members for Christ's sake. In case you didn't realise, I posted my opinion in this thread instead of through WLM because you made a thread for that purpose. Otherwise, you could've just stuck your email in your signature with a little message (though I disagree with all the threads you make, instead of asking your staff for some input at all).

I think the design is much too similar to newgrounds, and I believe newgrounds design to be too dark. As well, any passing teacher at a school will see it and instantly know what it is. Not only are you probably stealing ideas from newgrounds, but you're going to make your site so obvious that people won't even bother because teachers will know what it is right off the bat.

That combined with the fact that you want to use AJAX (or at least wanted to) for just about everything shows that you don't really care to support your target audience. The way it's currently headed, the site is much more suitable for home play than for school play, because it's too obvious, and uses features that could potentially not work on school computers. You have to understand that most schools disable javascript on their browsers, and that most schools don't have great download speeds (your design uses too many images). You're sort-of killing your own website.

You'll need to make the website a calm colour, otherwise it will be easy to spot. You'll also need to ensure it runs smoothly (the least amount of downloads possible) for everyone, because if it takes too long to load, people will go elsewhere. Most schools run slow connections, because the computers aren't meant to download games and high amounts of images.

Edit: As well, I'd probably opt for a liquid design, because I doubt many school computers have a resolution of 1024 * 768. The ones at my school at least are all 800 * 600. Liquid designs mean more support for everyone.

You'll also have to keep me a bit more updated, and be a little less rude to me if you intend on keeping yourself on my good side, and me as any kind of aid. I said I was willing to help you, I didn't say I was willing to be kept in the dark, nor did I say I was willing to let you be that rude with me for no reason. If you'd give your staff members some chance to input their thoughts instead of always creating a thread on these forums (which are completely unrelated, and people are getting rather annoyed of all the skoolfun threads) then I wouldn't have had to guess that the design you are showing here is already changing.

This post was edited on 08-20-2007 at 05:47 AM by Lou.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
08-20-2007 05:42 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
told you :p.
08-20-2007 05:48 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [skoolfun][DESIGN DONE] New design and new features
quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
Calm down Mr. Rude. I saw that design, and was commenting solely on that design. Even without the damn background it's too damn similar to newgrounds and you very well know it. There's no need for you to be so rude with me; I'm one of your staff members for Christ's sake. In case you didn't realise, I posted my opinion in this thread instead of through WLM because you made a thread for that purpose. Otherwise, you could've just stuck your email in your signature with a little message (though I disagree with all the threads you make, instead of asking your staff for some input at all).
I know you are one of my staff, and you are "offending" me. Like I said I don't mean to be rude, what I say just comes out wrong.

quote:
I think the design is much too similar to newgrounds, and I believe newgrounds design to be too dark. As well, any passing teacher at a school will see it and instantly know what it is. Not only are you probably stealing ideas from newgrounds, but you're going to make your site so obvious that people won't even bother because teachers will know what it is right off the bat.
I'll say it again, the main site will not be for schools, however it will have a seperate site for school which will have the same content as the normal site with just some more features for school.

quote:
That combined with the fact that you want to use AJAX (or at least wanted to) for just about everything shows that you don't really care to support your target audience. The way it's currently headed, the site is much more suitable for home play than for school play, because it's too obvious, and uses features that could potentially not work on school computers. You have to understand that most schools disable javascript on their browsers, and that most schools don't have great download speeds (your design uses too many images). You're sort-of killing your own website.
Like I said In my first post, I will use ajax for comments, and for viewing games and pictures. It will have a separate button for those without javascript where it will just load a normal page. And I'll say it again, the main site won't be for school, it will have a seperate site which will be more suttle.
quote:
You'll also have to keep me a bit more updated, and be a little less rude to me if you intend on keeping yourself on my good side, and me as any kind of aid. I said I was willing to help you, I didn't say I was willing to be kept in the dark, nor did I say I was willing to let you be that rude with me for no reason. If you'd give your staff members some chance to input their thoughts instead of always creating a thread on these forums (which are completely unrelated, and people are getting rather annoyed of all the skoolfun threads) then I wouldn't have had to guess that the design you are showing here is already changing.

I keep all of my other members of staff informed, it's not my fault whenever I try to send you an offline message it bounces back :-/

08-20-2007 10:01 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
Static designs fail. Use liquid or die.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]