What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Prevent emoticon text->img translation while writing message

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Prevent emoticon text->img translation while writing message
Author: Message:
OmNomNomNom

O.P. Prevent emoticon text->img translation while writing message
Hi all,

Just been forced to upgrade to Messenger Live 8.1.0178, and have just about finished reinstalling all the patches and plugins to make it usable.

The only thing left is a script/plugin/patch/whatever which will prevent emoticon text from being translated to emoticon images while I'm typing a message in a conversation window.

For example, if I type ":)", I want it to remain as ":)" and only become a smiley face when I send the message.  The main reason for this is that whenever I need to type something in parentheses, I typically type the opening and closing ones, then hit left and type what I want between them... which now turns the lot into an emoticon picture when I type the first letter!

I had the feature disabled in my previous version of MSN (7.5.something), but haven't had any luck finding something to do it in the latest version...

Any ideas?

Cheers :)
09-13-2007 04:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
OmNomNomNom

O.P. RE: Prevent emoticon text->img translation while writing message
Anyone?  I still haven't been able to find a script that does it... :(
09-16-2007 02:36 PM
davidpolitis

RE: Prevent emoticon text->img translation while writing message
What would be the point of this..? So you will be able to more eaily remember emoticon shortcuts?
09-17-2007 02:45 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
OmNomNomNom

The point would be to disable a feature that I find annoying, as it messes up the way I type.

It annoyed enough people when the feature was introduced (around around 7.5ish iirc) for there to be a script/plugin to disable it, but I haven't been able to find a newer one.

I just want messages I type to act like they did before this feature was introduced - any emoticons you type don't turn into pictures until you send the message.
09-17-2007 03:07 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
just type /noicon before your message ;)
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
09-17-2007 03:14 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
OmNomNomNom

O.P. RE: RE: Prevent emoticon text->img translation while writing message
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
just type /noicon before your message ;)

This doesn't do what I'm asking for.
Okay, here's an explaination that is more in context.  Please read the conversation in this screenshot, hopefully it will explain what I'm after.
[Image: msnng6.jpg]

So, I want emoticons as images in the area labelled "1." but I want them to remain as text in the area labelled "2."

This is how MSN worked in versions below 7.5 or so.
09-17-2007 03:45 AM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
Ah yes. StuffPlug had this feature a while back. It was a very handy feature to have.

I'm all for a script which can reproduce this!
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
09-17-2007 03:54 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
If we'd know how StuffPlug does it, we may be able to turn this into a script. But as far as I know, TB doesn't release his secrets and the latest BETA we got for testing doesn't contain this feature. We can only hope for TB to inform us about it, or for some genius script developer finding out how to do this. :P
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
09-17-2007 05:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
OmNomNomNom

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
If we'd know how StuffPlug does it, we may be able to turn this into a script. But as far as I know, TB doesn't release his secrets and the latest BETA we got for testing doesn't contain this feature. We can only hope for TB to inform us about it, or for some genius script developer finding out how to do this. :P

So I'm guessing it's much easier to add/extend functionality via a script than it is to remove simple standard behaviour/features like this... Bummer :P

Actually, while I'm here I'll just go on a bit of a tangent... Messenger Live has this "sharing folder" feature - I thought it would be great.  I can just share my mp3 folder with the friend who always wants me to send her music and she can grab files when she wants, etc.

But it seems that sharing a folder involves making a copy of all the files into another location on your hard drive, as opposed to just tagging a folder or files as shared like every other file sharing app on the web.

Is that the case, and is there any way to make it work in a way which isn't complete crap?
09-18-2007 01:27 AM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
If I`m not mistaken, just going in the Windows Live Messenger features will allow you to disable to see emoticons.. Of course that would mean that you will not be able to see it in the conversation text either, but at least, your friend will.
09-18-2007 01:40 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: