What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc.

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc.
Author: Message:
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
O.P. Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc.
First of all remove any patches and add-ons you have installed then try if all works as should. This also includes, but is not limited to, Smiley Central, SweetIM etc.

If you found all is working fine you can add them back one by one to find which causes it. If you got Messenger Plus! Live installed also verify that none of the scripts you have are interfering, doubtful they would but you never know... (this is also important to test before you submit any bugs about Messenger Plus! Live).

Error message 80072745
If you get this constantly try the following:
- Go into your router/connection (LAN) configuration
- In the DNS Address section (Internet-protocol TCP/IP) do not use 'Get Automatically from ISP', instead use static IP adresses for the Primary and Secondary DNS (your provider can tell you which to use if none are there already)

If it still isn't working as should after that:
Source: Inside Windows Live Messenger - We hear you!

Having Connection Problems?
If you’re having problems connecting to Messenger and/or sending IM’s, we encourage you to try the some of the following suggestions:

1. Make sure that your firewall is properly configured to allow Windows Live Messenger 8.1 to function properly.
Behind a corporate firewall: The 8.1 client uses far more web services, and it is possible that the network administrator for the corporate firewall will need to put a few more URLs on their web address white list.    The client needs to send web requests to “*.hotmail.com”, “*.live.com”, and “*.msn.com”. (The asterisk (*) is a “wildcard” character meaning that anything can come before “live.com”.) Your network/ firewall admin will understand this jargon if they see it.

On your PC at home: Many personal firewall products learn what a client does on the network, sometimes asking the user for permission to allow the applications to access the Internet and then remembering these answers.   When the new client changes its network behavior, some personal firewall products don't learn fast enough about how to let the client function properly on the network.    To test this you can temporarily turn off your firewall and see if you can sign-in.  Be sure you turn the personal firewall back on after your experiment.  If you can sign-in, then it is likely that your personal firewall needs to reconfigure itself.  Many products allow you to see the list of filters it is using, and by removing the filter entries for messenger (or msnmsgr.exe) you can force the personal firewall to re-ask you for permission to grant the required network access to the new 8.1 Messenger client.   Sometimes you have to let the client fail a few times while the firewall is learning, and then restart the client. 

2. Try to using the Connection Troubleshooter (you don’t have to login to Messenger to do this). You can find it in Messenger -> Tools -> Options -> Connection tab

3. If you are using a proxy server, click on ‘Advanced Settings’ and configure the proxy settings.

4. If IE is NOT set as your default browser, launch IE (you don’t have to set it as default) and visit any webpage to make sure that the internet connectivity and network configurations are properly set.

Is Messenger Crashing?
If you are using Windows Vista, you may encounter crashes if you don’t have the latest version of Adobe Flash installed. You can install the latest version of Adobe Flash at http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download....Flash&promoid=BIOW.

If you have a computer manufactured by Acer, you may be using Acer eDataSecurity software. Please upgrade to the latest version at http://global.acer.com/support/winvista/t-faq.htm.

Error Codes
For more information on specific error codes, please visit the Messenger Support Space. You’ll find lots of information and troubleshooting tips there.

More Updates to Come
Check back here (Inside Live Messenger Space) often for updates on other issues. If you’re having a problem, please head over to the newsgroups and post there!

Edit: updated for error message 80072745

This post was edited on 09-19-2007 at 10:14 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
09-15-2007 12:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Knaifhogg

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc.
Does the patching include messpatch? I'm using Vista and I have Windows Live Messenger 8.5 beta 2 patched with messpatch. I seem to have problems with the connection. I can connect, sure, but later everything I write in a chat goes nowhere (nothing they write comes to me either) , I can't change status (If I change to busy, it still says 'Online' for me, but for my contacts it says that I'm busy) so I have to log out and in for it to work again. But later it happens again...
Is it messpatch's fault or is it a bug? :S
10-21-2007 05:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
sue2uk

Hi there, new member here, have joined to get some help.  Have trawled the connection threads but found no answer.  I can connect to Windows Live Messenger wirelessly no problems but when I try to connect using the ethernet cable to our router (which I have to in the study as the wireless signal won't go through the walls) I can't get connected to Messenger (everything else ok).  Have disabled AVG firewall as suggested but still won't work.  Any suggestions?
11-10-2007 08:30 PM
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
Great work on writing this! I think this should be a sticky:)

Please add:

Make shure the messenger port is open. The port should be 1863 or 443.
No longer here.
11-10-2007 10:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
sue2uk

Many thanks for your reply.  Sorry to be a dimbo, but how do I check the Messenger port?
11-11-2007 02:46 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
First off try to run the repair connection troubleshooter in WLM's Options->Connection see if that solves anything, if it is ports on your router, check on www.portforward.com and see if there are instructions for your router (or similar, most routers work the same) also most routers today come with UPnP disabled, I suggest enabling it first as that should solve any WLM connection issues (and many other applications issues)
11-11-2007 06:10 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Cherry_Blossom

35 / Female / Flag
UPnP? where do i find it sorry am a lil thick
03-31-2008 06:59 PM
louby19

i have tryed all this what sunshine has put and none of it is still working have any of you got anymore tips as this is really starting to do my head in now!
05-01-2008 03:05 PM
kurt75

99% of times I have problem connecting to Messenger is because of the proxy settings I forget to remove from Internet Explorer before connecting...
05-14-2008 03:23 PM
louby19

it's sayin on mine to chack the firewall or proxy how do it do that?
thanx for all ur help peeps but it's workin now!:)
05-15-2008 11:58 AM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: