What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Messenger wont let me sign in

Messenger wont let me sign in
Author: Message:
Jm0406

O.P. Messenger wont let me sign in
When I enter my details to sign into Windows Live Messenger (with Plus!), the sign in process begins, but it never reaches the WLM home page. It just keeps saying signing in - it kept saying it for 7 hours the other day. There is no error code, it just keeps signing in. I have tried reinstalling both Messenger and Plus! but this doesn't do anything. I have also wiped the registries of any entries relating to either application after uninstalling, and making sure all traces of the applications are deleted from my hard drive, but this doesn't seem to help. My account is still fine, as I have managed to sign in several times on another computer with the same versions of both applications. If I am signed in on the second computer and try to sign in on this computer, the second computer tells me I have signed in elsewhere, yet it doesn't sign in on this computer, just keeps saying signing in. Does anyone have an idea on how to sort this problem without having to clean install my computer?
10-22-2007 11:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger wont let me sign in
Does it work without Plus!?
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6547 days, 9 hours, 1 minute, 59 seconds ago.

10-22-2007 11:12 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
That's odd, Messenger does timeout after about 20 seconds, so there's really no way it could be 7 hours unless you've already established a connection with the Messenger server. Perhaps you're downloading some very big offline messages or something, but since it works on other computers it can't be.

I'm sorry, but I recommend you to clean install the computer.
10-23-2007 05:47 AM
Jm0406

O.P. RE: Messenger wont let me sign in
No, it doesn't work without Plus!, and I thought a clean install would be the case, thanks for your help anyway, it was worth a try before another clean install!
10-23-2007 09:17 AM
Jm0406

Ok, something must be seriously wrong, I've clean installed my comp as suggested, and I still have exactly the same problem. Help!
10-25-2007 07:49 PM
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
Could it be your firewall? Maybe a program blocking access or if you have a router the port msn connects via might be blocked. Or it could be if you have AOL and don't have a master account :)
No longer here.
10-25-2007 08:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jm0406

Apparantly not, as I tried this without any extra firewall installed, and with windows firewall turned off. However I have managed to fix this problem now. The solution is:

Click Start
Go to Programs
Go to Accessories
Right click on Command Prompt, and click Run As Administrator
Type in "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled"
Press enter
10-25-2007 09:01 PM
Jm0406

This is starting to get a little annoying now, yes I have messenger working, but when I use the fix stated above, it stops features in IE working. These are features linked to windows media player. Does anyone know how I can edit the fix so it will only affect messenger, not Internet explorer too? I've already tried replacing global with explorer.exe and msnmsgr.exe, but it tells me it doesn't recognise this command.
10-29-2007 10:36 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: