What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Chat Logs, lack of privacy

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Chat Logs, lack of privacy
Author: Message:
queen_bee

O.P. Chat Logs, lack of privacy
Greetings all,
I used my brother's laptop and used MSN messenger live.By chance I was browsing through 'my documents' and noticed that all the convos are saved?
I deleted them and emptied out the recycle bin...my query is ,is there any way to restrict/remove this app and will the convos come back to haunt me even though i've deleted them off the 'chat logs' folder.i dont want to find that there is a hidden folder lurking somewhere.

I'm so freaked out by this,i honestly thought MSN messenger gave individual choice when you were logging off in regards to saving conversations!?

This post was edited on 11-03-2007 at 01:18 AM by queen_bee.
11-03-2007 01:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
roflmao456
Skinning Contest Winner

29 / Male / Flag
RE: Chat Logs, lack of privacy
Messenger Plus! Live logs your chats by default; you can change this in the Preferences.
[quote]
Ultimatess6
: What a noob mod
11-03-2007 01:24 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
queen_bee

O.P. RE: Chat Logs, lack of privacy
thanks!
im still worried about the convo files not being fully deleted off the laptop though....is there a way to trace the convos even though I have emptied them out of the recycle bin?its still saved on the hard drive right?
11-03-2007 01:38 AM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
the data will still be on the computer like any other file you "delete" so you can get it back but its hard... but if you deleted them it should be ok
11-03-2007 03:27 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

The real problem here is that most users don't understand how to use the security and multi-user features built into Windows correctly.

Windows has a concept of user accounts.  User accounts should correspond one to one to humans.  Even though you used your brother's computer, you should never have used it with his user account (nor should he have allowed you to).  Instead, a separate Windows user account should have been made for you.  That alone would have insured, among other things, that 1)you can change any settings you want without affecting your brother; 2)you would get your own Documents and your own logs -- not all that well protected from him if he was trying to see them, but at least out of his immediate sight.
11-03-2007 04:44 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
MsgPlus! shouldn't enable chat logging for new users by default

I still support this idea, and at that thread Patchou wrote
quote:
A lot of peopel actually install Plus! for the chat logging option...
So if people downloaded Plus! for its chat logging feature, they will obviously try to find the option when they open Messenger after installing Plus!. If they are not aware of that feature, or even like queen_bee's case, they may not be aware of Plus! on the computer, then why shall Plus! log their conversations? To do them a kindness :P???

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
and the configuration wizard was made clean and simple exactly so that most people would check it out.
Correct, it is very clean, simple and people who want Plus! to log their chats can easily tick the option!

quote:
Originally posted by queen_bee
I'm so freaked out by this,i honestly thought MSN messenger gave individual choice when you were logging off in regards to saving conversations!?
MSN Messenger asks new users for the chat log issue when s/he firstly closes a conversation window, however Messenger Plus! asks for it in the Configuration Wizard which pops-up when a new user firstly signs in. So both programs support individual choice.

Sorry for my tone :(

This post was edited on 11-03-2007 at 12:35 PM by ahmetgns.
11-03-2007 12:30 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
I disagree, the wizard is there so they can easily disable chat logging if they want to when they first install. It's their fault for not going through the wizard if they don't want chat logging.
[Image: jumbled.png]
11-03-2007 01:23 PM
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
Well, you could have just set up an encryption for the new & old files, rather than deleting them. That way you don't have to worry about them being recovered.
11-03-2007 02:33 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
vaccination, do you know there is a Registry Setting which prevents Configuration Wizard to pop-up for new users? For example, queen_bee's brother may have disabled Configuration Wizard via Registry Settings, and therefore queen_bee may haven't even gone through the wizard in the first place. I mean the wizard may not be there always.

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
the wizard is there so they can easily disable chat logging if they want to...
I want to point out something here. Chat Logging is a privacy issue, isn't it? Noone wants their chat logs to be read by others normally, do they?

So if someone comes here and complains like "Why did not Messenger Plus! log my conversations? I need to look what my friend wrote to me yesterday, but I can't find any log file now.", then I would say him like you that "Yes, MsgPlus! could log your conversations, but if you wanted it, you had to go its Preferences and check the option for it." If he says in return that "But I installed MsgPlus! for only its chat log feature, I don't use any other feature it provides", then I would say him "You are not aware of an option for chat logs yet, are you? So if MsgPlus! logged your conversations without your notice, would you be OK with it, especially after seeing someone is reading them? Or would you complain about it too at that time?"

That is what I mean since my other thread about this issue.

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by queen_bee
I deleted them and emptied out the recycle bin
queen_bee, you can use Shift+Delete key combination while you are completely deleting some files from your computer. That combination doesn't send the file to the Recycle bin for further recovery chance and saves you from going to there for a second time.

This post was edited on 11-03-2007 at 03:11 PM by ahmetgns.
11-03-2007 03:07 PM
queen_bee

O.P. RE: Chat Logs, lack of privacy
Adeptus-I understand the multiple user fac for windows but to be honest my own laptop was not charged and i was too lazy to look for the adapter hence using my brother's very quickly.That was the first and last time I ever used his laptop so it didnt seem worth it.

ahmetgns-i agree also, it should not automatically allow chat logs by default for new users.there should be an option.i never went through a wizard so it must have been disabled.

nanafreak- 'so you can get it back but its hard' yes thats what i thought but what do you mean by 'hard'?what do you have to do?

giant spider-encryption?i have never encrypted anything in my life?like a hidden folder?im so not as tech friendly as i prided myself in lol

anyways thanks for all your help and patience guys. :) it serves me right for being so lazy!

This post was edited on 11-03-2007 at 03:42 PM by queen_bee.
11-03-2007 03:40 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: