What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Laptop fucked, don't know what to do...

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Laptop fucked, don't know what to do...
Author: Message:
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
RE: Laptop fucked, don't know what to do...
Your HDD is probably starting to die. I suggest to backup everything you need, since it may fail soon.

Btw, "soon" could mean next day,month and even year.
My laptop has been saying that it's going to die soon since January and it's November right now and it still works.
I do get however sometimes the error you posted above.

Btw, does the HDD make any unusual noise when you try to copy that particular file?
Also go to the event viewer -> system. Do you see any disk errors/warnings (like the ones in the attachment :D) ?

Btw, what linux distro are you using?
I suggest Puppy Linux since it has full NTFS support (well, ubuntu 7.10 also has full NTFS support but it is slow when booting from CD :P).

.png File Attachment: diskerror.PNG (85.8 KB)
This file has been downloaded 175 time(s).

This post was edited on 11-16-2007 at 11:18 PM by Mike.
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
11-16-2007 11:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Laptop fucked, don't know what to do...
It's not any file its like loads of them, and currently it won't let me backup it gets through about 9 files and stops in linux and windows :(

But i can still open everything :/

Note: my laptop is just over a year old
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

11-16-2007 11:17 PM
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
[In advance]

If its a hardware problem like mike said (that rhymes) you can recover all your data from on of those data center places that can recover anything. (thats of you want to spend some $$$ or £££) I cant find anything to help you with now but i will look again after i have some ZZzz! Good luck! 
No longer here.
11-16-2007 11:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
It's not any file its like loads of them, and currently it won't let me backup it gets through about 9 files and stops in linux and windows :(

But i can still open everything :/

Note: my laptop is just over a year old
Hard drive failure.

When you start getting CRC errors reading/writing files, and lots of them with many different files then you know you've got a hardware problem with either:

a. The hard drive (most likely)
b. The hard disk controller (unlikely)

It's most likely that the drive has been damaged. You my say ".. but the laptop is only a year old" well, the thing is, things like this happen once in a while.

- Do you have extended/warranty for the laptop? If so, it'll be covered.

- If you don't have available warranty you'd be looking at purchasing a new drive for your laptop.

Copy off what you can, forget the rest though, because chances are you won't be able to get it back.
11-17-2007 09:37 AM
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Thanks chris, Does anyone know any software that will copy everything, and if it cant copy it, it will ignore it?

Erm, it's a good job i paid £200 for 2 years warranty :banana:

Never ever ever ever go for acer people, its just problems problems and more problems

Mike: Yeah, i've got those errors, hundreds of them lol. And im using ubuntu, i have it installed, i installed it before everything fucked up :)

IS there anyway where I can just get a new laptop from them, because its not the only thing wrong with it:

1.)    Minijack output is faulty, when cable or plug moved it will disconnect/connect.
2.)    Lots of keys missing on keyboard
3.)    The screen has some crystal white things from where pressure has been put – new screen needed
4.)    Webcam doesn’t work
5.)    Charger is blown
6.)    The feet underneath the laptop need new rubbers – i have put some temperate ones there
7.)    Maybe if possible, new case scratched and a bit bent
8.)    The battery is really bad,  you get 40mins out of it from full charge
9.)    Hard drive faulty

lol

This post was edited on 11-17-2007 at 10:20 AM by Nathan.

11-17-2007 10:10 AM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Does anyone know any software that will copy everything
Total Commander may be able to help you.
However, you have to be there when you get the "Cannot read file ____" error to click "Skip All".
After you finish copying you can use the synchronize directories feature to see which files didn't get copied.

You can also try using HDD Regenerator (not free) and/or Spinrite (not free too) which may help you to get some of your data back.

This post was edited on 11-17-2007 at 10:32 AM by Mike.
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
11-17-2007 10:31 AM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
My sisters laptop had the same problem as well, it's usually because the hard drive doesn't being bashed around a lot, and some laptop cases (especially Acer cases) don't have much protection against this.

Besides, you shouldn't being fucking your laptop anyway, that's worse than the guy with the bike.

Now where is the meme on bad sectors (cause that's likely what you have - if you run chkdsk /R then it will mark all bad sectors "bad" and let you recover what you can, normally without the error messages).
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
11-17-2007 10:46 AM
Adeptus

quote:
Does anyone know any software that will copy everything, and if it cant copy it, it will ignore it?
xcopy /e /c c:\*.* e:\ -- assumption being E: is the drive letter of the external drive you are copying to.  It's amusing how many suggestions you have, for things ranging from Linux to various third party apps, when Windows itself has all you need -- it's just that no one apparently knows about the command line.

quote:
3.) The screen has some crystal white things from where pressure has been put – new screen needed
6.) The feet underneath the laptop need new rubbers – i have put some temperate ones there
7.) Maybe if possible, new case scratched and a bit bent
Half of your complaint list sounds like the result of taking poor care of it.  Why has there been "pressure put" to your screen, anyway?  Scratches?  Bent case?  Acer is crap, sure, but it also sounds like you need to learn to treat your things better.
11-17-2007 10:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Why had there been pressure put to the screen?
Because when i close the screen i need to. The design is crap if i touch the top of the screen it will press the mouse button.  The case isnt bent but the screen is slightly and sure it does have a few scratches, this laptop is used everyday and karted around school with me!

11-17-2007 11:01 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

Things like a bent case & scratches won't help you with your warranty and repair/replacement - they'll simply tell you that poor care was taken of the machine and as a result, any damage is your problem and not theres.

quote:
2.) Lots of keys missing on keyboard
Won't be covered. Do you mean missing physical keys or they've faded off? If that is the case, they won't be covered.

Faded keys is considered general wear & tear and as a result has no cover.
quote:
3.) The screen has some crystal white things from where pressure has been put – new screen needed
They won't replace the LCD/TFT screen if pressure has been applied on it.

What you're talking about too is dead or stuck pixels - they generally aren't covered unless there is a huge block of them. You'll have to read your warranty brochure/instruction manual which will have information on that.
quote:
4.) Webcam doesn’t work
Most probably a corrupt or bad driver, maybe a software problem.
quote:
5.) Charger is blown
Won't be covered - they'll simply state there was an electrical problem at your house which caused the charger to blow - either that or lack of proper care.
quote:
6.) The feet underneath the laptop need new rubbers – i have put some temperate ones there
General wear and tear, won't be covered.
quote:
7.) Maybe if possible, new case scratched and a bit bent
General wear and tear, won't be covered.

This point may also screw you over if you try for a repair/replacement because it is an obvious sign of lack of care.
quote:
8.) The battery is really bad,  you get 40mins out of it from full charge
Won't be covered. This is partially lack of care (charge cycling etc) as well as just how things are - batteries wear down.

Set your laptop to run on a less power intense power scheme when running off batteries and you may get a slight bit more use from a charge.
11-17-2007 11:08 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: