What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » www.youareblocked.com

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
www.youareblocked.com
Author: Message:
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: www.youareblocked.com
If you have the option and have given up all hope you could probably perform a system restore to before whenever this event happened, but im not even sure if this will work, but it could be a last gasp effort.
...there used to be a signature here :)
12-09-2007 03:45 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Changing the password was all you could do.

The links appeared to your contacts because that website (at least the automated service on that website) logged in using your password and login. It then advertised itself by sending its link to everybody on your contactlist.

However, it can not install something on your computer. At least, not when you have some kind of security system in place which would detect ActiveX controls or whatever being executed from the website.

So the tab changing, slowing downs, etc can well be from something else you did.

I suggest you disable system restore, reboot your computer into safe mode, and do a complete full system scan.

Remove the Windows Live Messenger completely (=uninstalling it from the Add/Remove Programs control panel) and removing its program directory from your computer (to make sure everything is removed).

Then redownload Windows Live Messenger and reinstall it.

This post was edited on 12-09-2007 at 05:54 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-09-2007 03:54 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
Change your password right away and your secret questions.  Now uninstall messenger and all ad-ons you have installed including plus). Have a look through your program files and see if theres any "weird" looking programs that you don't recognize. If there is any uninstall them.

Run spy ware cleaners and anti-virus programs on your machine and delete/destroy all bad files they pick up.

Restart your machine in safe mode and delete all the files from your program files that you didn't install.

Restart. Install windows live messenger from the official website then plus.
Restart.

Problem solved. (hopefully)

Edit: :(

This post was edited on 12-09-2007 at 03:57 PM by Quantum.
No longer here.
12-09-2007 03:57 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by john-t
Restart your machine in safe mode and delete all the files from your program files that you didn't install.
do NOT do that! At least, not in the way it is stated here....

There are a lot of things in your program files directory which you probably didn't install, but which will seriously cripple programs and/or your system if you just start deleting stuff.

PS: You need to boot up in safe mode before running an anti-virus/spyware... not the other way around. Booting up in safe makes that potential malware is not started up and thus it can't hide itself from anti-virus/spyware programs.... Of course doing a scan before and doing a scan after booting up in safe mode doesn't hurt. Although the scan before booting into safe mode isn't really needed at all, since you would scan just the same stuff (and even more) in safe mode.

Also do not forget to disable System Restore before scanning.

BTW: Your tutorial you've made here is appreciated, but there are a lot of things in there which aren't quite good. Also, there are already tutorials like that on the forums.

----------------------

I suggest to read:
CookieRevised's reply to norton help needed!!!

This post was edited on 12-09-2007 at 05:55 PM by CookieRevised.
12-09-2007 04:48 PM
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
Sorry about wording it wrong. I will reword it :)
No longer here.
12-09-2007 05:00 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It is not just wording it wrong, but also forgetting very important tasks to perform prior to other tasks, etc. Such tutorials should be as accurate as possible.

eg: see CookieRevised's reply to norton help needed!!!

;)

This post was edited on 12-09-2007 at 05:55 PM by CookieRevised.
12-09-2007 05:52 PM
Azure

Thanks for replying so fast! I have followed your instructions but have forgotten to disable the system restore thing. Will try again once Im back.

So is this website a less threatening spyware? I have forgotten whether my ActiveX block was up.. I just got my own com a few months ago. :^)

However, in safe mode, my AVG reported an error in reading the Boot Sector of Disk C:, in addition to the other 3 changed files. Is this normal in safe mode?

Also, the guide in the symantics website, is it applicable for Vista? As it only show it is for XP and ME editions.

Let's hope this works out!! :)

12-09-2007 07:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Azure

Hmm as I am using Windows Vista.. Does 'disable'='turn off'?

Which particular disk do I select to turn off? The options were: (C:) (System), (D:), and (C:)(Missing).

Is a 'missing' (C:) a cause for worry?

Also, when I tried to switch off system restore for one of the disks, it says 'All existing restore points will be deleted and no new ones will be created'. Is it ok to delete all existing restore points? What if I need to restore the system to some point?

Thanks!
12-10-2007 07:59 PM
owenw

Windows? Bunch of n00bs. :P

33 / Male / Flag
I believe this site to be very malicious, and to change your MSN details, and grab all of your contacts details, sending them email from an account which appears to be you, telling them to check out this website too.
12-14-2007 01:20 AM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Each time I'm flabbergasted to read how people simply enter their login and password just like that on a 'good' looking site...

Even if blockcheckers worked, they STILL would NOT need your password!!!!

Think about it, what would they be able to do more with your login and password that you already can't when you log in in your Messenger? Nothing!!!!

A login, and certainly a password, is NOT needed AT ALL. No matter what those sites may claim, no matter if blockcheckers actually work or not.

If they ask for your login, they most likely use this to sell the email to spammers.
If they ask for you password also, they most likely use this to break into your account.
As simple as that.

---

It is like saying that they need your social security number and bank/visa account in order to calculate how much you need to pay at the cash register when you bought some apples. lol...

I think the sticky of block checkers do not work should be translated (something very important) and posted on ALL sites IMO.
12-16-2007 10:44 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: