What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » Willz Skinning Guide

Pages: (13): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 9 10 » Last »
Willz Skinning Guide
Author: Message:
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
RE: Willz Skinning Guide
at present i only read the tutorial, it seemed pretty simple though, all i wouldnt of known was how to declare each state seperately in the uifiles so it was helpful in that respect everything else i had already picked up in developing the 365 skin with jason.

i did hope it would be as easy as doing the same to the statuspill in 923 styles file but as willz didnt specifically mention it i wasnt 100% sure if that would work or if theres any other places i might encounter the status icons that i need to be aware of.

EDIT:

me and jason are going to attempt to add what we have learned from this tutorial into the 365 skin im just waiting on him to come back to me with the custom images, im good at bigger images like backgrounds simple gradients etc, he is good at adding cool graphical elements to backgrounds and making the smaller images like the icons in 90 & 94 and custom buttons like our skinops button.

you see we have now gotten to a point in our working as a team where we now know which areas of skinning we each excel at and plan our skins developement workload accordingly.

This post was edited on 01-12-2008 at 01:42 PM by stuartbennett.
01-12-2008 01:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide
quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
thanks willz like the 3rd tutorial but i do have a question, when replacing buddy images you only covered the contact listso what about when i click the online button next to my nickname in the dashboard itll still use the original images yeah? so how does one change them to, also can you add in custom status images for your messenger plus personalised status's?

just a few things i thought i should ask.

Ok the nickname dashboard one, is not the 46611 resource (yeah Microsoft is confusing with their resources but what can you do? :P). Those buddy images are controlled by resource 591, which is a normal png that you can just edit and replace.

I should make it clear that the method outlined in the tutorial should only be carried out if the original image is a multi-layer MSNRLE.

As for the plus custom status ones I don't think thats entirely possible since there is too many variables that can occur in something like that (though if someone knows a way then please correct me)

On a side note the first tutorial is now available in Greek thanks to Basilis.

This post was edited on 01-13-2008 at 12:11 AM by Willz.
01-12-2008 11:54 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
ok thanks willz
01-13-2008 07:42 AM
sulasno

– / Male / Flag
can anyone give me an idea of the various size of the icons to be used?

and a link where I can download some icons ?

thanks

I think I should be able to create a simple skin after the 3 tutorials;
thanks Willz
01-14-2008 10:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
16x16, 19x19 or 32x32 pixels depending on which icon.

Download icons anywhere from the internet (make sure you have the rights to use it), http://www.google.com/search?q=free+icons.
01-14-2008 03:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Basilis
Veteran Member

Olympiacos CFP

30 / Male / Flag
Willz. I want to inform you that the translation will take me some time because it is very time-consuming and I am going to school.But I wll do my best to have it complete very soon.Just wanted to mention it.
[Image: logo1nu1.png]
01-14-2008 04:31 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide
quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
Willz. I want to inform you that the translation will take me some time because it is very time-consuming and I am going to school.But I wll do my best to have it complete very soon.Just wanted to mention it.

Hey its all good. I know exactly how time consuming school is so do not stress too much about it. Anyway thanks for the 2nd part translation.

Ive updated the post now to reflect this.

4th part is now going through some revisions. It is the most time consuming one of all :P Like insanely time consuming ( I don't think I have ever written that much ever)

Just to give you an idea of what to expect from the almighty part 4 :P It's at 249 pages at the moment. And it covers every single resource known to 8.5, with explanations and comments as well as nice extras such as content indexes, vista equivalents etc.

I'm trying to make it as accurate as possible so please bear with me. But I do expect a solid gold statue built in my honor when it is up and done :P

This post was edited on 01-18-2008 at 03:37 AM by Willz.
01-18-2008 03:34 AM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
wow and thats just part 4? who knows how many more parts there will be & how many pages those will each be? so yeah considering that by the time the guide is fully constructed youll probably have written maybe a good 1000 pages or so i dont think your solid gold status saying something like "skinning guide creator" is unreasonable, but hey its not up to me lol
01-18-2008 05:48 AM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
Very nice explanation!
but...when I do that Min,Max,Close buttons change at the Style 45710, the messenger takes much longer to log in and doesn't open the add contact tab!
There isn't anything wrong with it...I compared the part I edited with the original one (It would be the original Min,Max,Close and the edited one), and they're almost the same (the difference is that the edited one does that ContentIndex thing).
I'm sure the code is right...because I copied from my other styles...are you sure that 45710 Style can be edited?
Thanks

Edit
(Oh...and when will the Part 4 come out?? I'm loving this guide!)

This post was edited on 01-18-2008 at 12:15 PM by blessedguy.
[Image: Empty.png]
01-18-2008 12:14 PM
Basilis
Veteran Member

Olympiacos CFP

30 / Male / Flag
I have to tell you that I couldn't think how big the 4th part would be. Is it 249 pages with pictures or just lines? I think this translation will be a nightmare. lol :)
[Image: logo1nu1.png]
01-18-2008 05:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (13): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 9 10 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: