What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » games in virtual machine

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
games in virtual machine
Author: Message:
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: games in virtual machine
Emulating DirectX in a virtual machine would be extremely hard to implement, also, VMWare is cross-platform so there would be no point in DirectX.

To allow DirectX usage, VMWare would have to emulate the exact hardware in your PC, or allow extremely low level access to it... which would be complicated. Like, immensely complicated. I think 8-).

I think that VMWare itself actually emulates an S3 Trio controller, although that might be Virtual PC. One of them uses a proprietary driver specific to the company which allows the window to be resized dynamically.

It would be much easier to try and work out why it's not installing on Windows XP SP2 for you, because it works fine for me.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
12-14-2007 01:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
VMWare has been experimenting with DirectX support for a long time now, you can enable it with a registry key but don't get your hopes too high...
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-14-2007 03:47 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
I think it's modifying the vmx file, manually adding something like mks.enable3d and modifying the video memory size.

You can do that with a linux host because it's pretty much still software enumeration anyway if I get it right.

It's been experimental since VMWare 5.5 whereas I remember 6.0 did not add anything new to this; only dx8 is supported.

Ok, found it:
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_vidsound_d3d.html

This post was edited on 12-14-2007 at 04:27 PM by Mnjul.
12-14-2007 04:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
owenw

Windows? Bunch of n00bs. :P

33 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: games in virtual machine
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
Emulating DirectX in a virtual machine would be extremely hard to implement, also, VMWare is cross-platform so there would be no point in DirectX.

To allow DirectX usage, VMWare would have to emulate the exact hardware in your PC, or allow extremely low level access to it... which would be complicated. Like, immensely complicated. I think 8-).

I think that VMWare itself actually emulates an S3 Trio controller, although that might be Virtual PC. One of them uses a proprietary driver specific to the company which allows the window to be resized dynamically.

It would be much easier to try and work out why it's not installing on Windows XP SP2 for you, because it works fine for me.

Yeah, that actually makes sense. The whole idea of VMware is to make a isolated machine that is away from your host operating system..
[Image: firefox-spread-btn-3.png]
12-16-2007 11:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: games in virtual machine
yeah I got it I wasn't doing the compadability thing right„, I even got it working over the network with eagle red 1.8 :p pm me if you want a copy. I dare you to find it somewhere else on the net   :)

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

12-16-2007 11:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: