What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » [Released] Stuart and Jason's 365 Theme

Pages: (11): « First « 3 4 5 6 [ 7 ] 8 9 10 11 » Last »
[Released] Stuart and Jason's 365 Theme
Author: Message:
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [Released] Stuart and Jason's 365 Theme
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
Don't really see the huge struggle, i've only just started skinning, and 2009 really isn't that hard to pick up, it takes a little while but I got the hang of it quite quickly :S Hoping to release my skin soon too.

i have tried going through the 2009 UI Files, the problem is that absolutely none of the elements i modified in 8.5 can be found in the 2009 files, for example according to 2009's UI Files theres no buttons in 2009 at all, the buttons for mail etc in the contact list don't have any code in the UI Files for them so are thus uneditable, if there is code for the things i want to change i can't find it and as nobody can be bothered to help me not even jason who is supposed to be part of my skinning team theres no point to skinning anymore.

i have just destroyed the site @ http://www.freewebs.com/ukskinsunited/ is completely deleted and unrecoverable is someone were willing to help me revive the skin then i may consider it but with Jason (Freak544) too lazy to help me and me being unable to do this on my on i don't see how i could ever possibly continue with skinning ever again.

if someone like willz wants to try and revive the skin i wouldnt have any objections but i certainly don't have what it takes to do it.
03-18-2009 11:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: [Released] Stuart and Jason's 365 Theme
quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett

i have tried going through the 2009 UI Files, the problem is that absolutely none of the elements i modified in 8.5 can be found in the 2009 files, for example according to 2009's UI Files theres no buttons in 2009 at all, the buttons for mail etc in the contact list don't have any code in the UI Files for them so are thus uneditable,

lolwut? ^o)

If what you said is true then nobody would have a skin out. I really don't see how it could be that hard, I know that I can't really say how hard skinning is because of my experience, but the fact that other people have managed to do it shows that it is possible.

but meh, your choice man, whatever floats your boat.
03-18-2009 12:25 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: [Released] Stuart and Jason's 365 Theme
A simple search of the definition files, and a bit of patience for a couple of weeks to figure it all out is all it needs. Not being able to modify the mail button on the other hand is ridiculous, a search for MailBtn is all you need to do basically. But on the other hand, gl in the future.
...there used to be a signature here :)
03-18-2009 01:25 PM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
willz when i learned skinning for 8.5 it was relatively easy, everybody had written loads of tutorials on the subject and your skinning guide was extremely using in navigating the UI Files, but since the release of 2009 nobody has bothered to write any tutorials for working with the new version and you have already said you won't compile a new skinning guide to help us understand the new version.

if there were some kind of reference to know what number ui files to related to which windows then i might indeed stand half a chance but as nobody can seem to be bothered to actually take the time to write that information down for others to follow it makes skinning on 2009 far to complicated for the average user, only people with your level of experience who have been skinning messenger for decades can decipher the new ui files the normal user like me is just far to overwhelmed by the complexity of the new files and there structure that they cannot for the life of them figure these new files out.
03-18-2009 03:12 PM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
willz when i learned skinning for 8.5 it was relatively easy, everybody had written loads of tutorials on the subject and your skinning guide was extremely using in navigating the UI Files, but since the release of 2009 nobody has bothered to write any tutorials for working with the new version and you have already said you won't compile a new skinning guide to help us understand the new version.

if there were some kind of reference to know what number ui files to related to which windows then i might indeed stand half a chance but as nobody can seem to be bothered to actually take the time to write that information down for others to follow it makes skinning on 2009 far to complicated for the average user, only people with your level of experience who have been skinning messenger for decades can decipher the new ui files the normal user like me is just far to overwhelmed by the complexity of the new files and there structure that they cannot for the life of them figure these new files out.
When you rip the images and things with Messenger Plus! Live, it gives you the name of what each folder is? :S

I'm a brand new user to the Messenger Plus! Live skinning, and XML, and i have managed to skin it relatively easy. Took me a while. But im certainly no expert but i can find my way around the files. Doesn't take a pro to understand it.
...there used to be a signature here :)
03-18-2009 03:16 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [Released] Stuart and Jason's 365 Theme
quote:

It sounds to me that you just don't want to put any effort in.

The new UI files are barely any different from the old ones.  90% of the content is still the same.  The principles of skinning are all the same.

You obviously haven't searched the forum either, as there's been a full list of what number relates to what window for two months:

mynetx's reply to Definition and Styles Id's

Not to mention the fact that most of the names are revealed when you extract the resources.

Just put a bit of effort in and it'll soon be rewarded....there's really not much change from 8.5 skinning.....and it's not meant to be something that's easy.

It can take months of trial and error to get a skin how you want it......but that's what makes it worth it.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5230 days, 16 hours, 22 minutes, 24 seconds ago
03-18-2009 03:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
maybe danny and i might have been more receptive to try and i wasn't under the constant pressure of having to do the whole thing all by myself when i skinned 8.5 i was getting help from jason with the graphics but when nobody can help you at all with anything and the whole projects on my shoulders i can't cope with the pressure if someone will agree to help me then i might reconsider but i cannot do it on my own.
03-18-2009 07:31 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Most skinners do the majority of the work alone

And there's plenty of support in the skinning forum here.

There's more posts per thread in the skinning forum than the scripting forum......and I'm sure you'd agree that scripting is a much more established and developed part of Plus!

So it's not like you'd be having to do it alone

Of course it's up to you whether you continue skinning, but a little effort can go a long way
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5230 days, 16 hours, 22 minutes, 24 seconds ago
03-18-2009 07:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Most skinners do the majority of the work alone

And there's plenty of support in the skinning forum here.

There's more posts per thread in the skinning forum than the scripting forum......and I'm sure you'd agree that scripting is a much more established and developed part of Plus!

So it's not like you'd be having to do it alone

Of course it's up to you whether you continue skinning, but a little effort can go a long way

i would like to get 365 compatible with 2009 however i would have to create loads of help threads on how to get the help needed to figure it out and then i still need someone to supply me with the required graphics.
03-18-2009 09:53 PM
robert_dll

– / Male / Flag
quote:
maybe danny and i might have been more receptive to try and i wasn't under the constant pressure of having to do the whole thing all by myself.
Pressure? If you like skinning then I don't know why you feel like that, you can work slowly, trying to understand all the stuff on your free time, that's what I do, I have been working on a skin for 1 month (maybe more), and I've finished with the logon screen and the contact list window, I'm still working on the chat window fighting with scenes. I'm taking an hour or two each day of my free time to do this, take it easy.
03-18-2009 10:52 PM
Pages: (11): « First « 3 4 5 6 [ 7 ] 8 9 10 11 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: