What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » MP!L at Wikipedia

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
MP!L at Wikipedia
Author: Message:
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
RE: MP!L at Wikipedia
Should we remove this image? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Messengerlock.png
It's useless imo... :-/

Also, should we put the Advert Template in the article?
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
12-24-2007 11:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Should we remove this image? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Messengerlock.png
Yes.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
should we put the Advert Template in the article?
No, somebody should just rewrite it so it doesn't feel like an advert. The features list is way too long, just a brief mention of some of the most important features would be enough. The list of languages isn't very useful either, just a mention of it being multi-language will do (and won't need a fix everytime a language is added/removed).
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-24-2007 11:34 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Stuff added/changed in the Wiki should be considered extremely carefully...

eg:
quote:
Messenger Plus! Live builds upon the functionality of Microsoft's Windows Live Messenger adding and improving key functionality and enhancing the messenger experience.
This should be removed or said otherwise. At it is now, this is not objective at all!

"improving" => This is can be seen as objective. Some people will not find much "improvement" or might even find some things annoying...

"adding key functionality" => what you call 'key' functionality isn't what somebody else calls 'key' functionality. "key" should be removed.

"enhancing the messenger experience" => sales pitch... This is highly subjective information and should not be there.

All who edit those pages: Unless you are extremely well informed at what is accepted on wikipedia and what not, unless you write good English, unless you have experience in adding/editing stuff on Wikipedia, And unless you know what you're talking about, don't start changing or adding stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
we're not allowed to edit wikipedia. it would violate the NPOV.
We are allowed to edit it. Even Patchou is allowed to edit it. It would make little sense if people who have first hand information wouldn't be allowed to add information, as long as it are facts.

However, it should be unbiased information (eg: programming language, version info, etc). But that goes actually for anyone who edits wiki articles.

------------------------------
PS: I've updated several things on the page...

However, the majority of the article is still not good. At the moment there is a very heavy side towards how "bad" Plus! is (3 sections talking about it), without any contra-evidence.

Moreover, the cited links and some references used to back up the current "anti-Plus!" facts are in themselfs extremely biased and thus shouldn't be used. Even more, they are used in the wrong sections and added to the wrong sentences.

It is a serious work in progress...

This post was edited on 12-25-2007 at 07:43 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-25-2007 01:09 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
warmth
Veteran Member

Electronic Engineer

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: MP!L at Wikipedia
I am going to do some good screenshots about skinning and scripting... but I don't really know how to post it there... when I get them ready I will post it here and somebody that knows please add them there :P...
@warmth - Beta Testing a life!
Official Nokia (former Ovi) Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011)
12-25-2007 02:16 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
The article falls into the wrong category. It's currently in the "Windows instant messaging clients" category, but MP!L is not an IM client.
However, I don't know if a more suitable category exists.
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
12-25-2007 07:07 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Correct,

Better categories are:
Windows software
Windows-only software
Windows-only freeware
Freeware

fixed

This post was edited on 12-25-2007 at 08:49 AM by CookieRevised.
12-25-2007 08:38 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

However, the majority of the article is still not good. At the moment there is a very heavy side towards how "bad" Plus! is (3 sections talking about it), without any contra-evidence.

Agreed.

I also agree about your biased/subjective view on my edits to the first paragraph... but seriously cookie do you think this is better?

"Messenger Plus! Live builds upon the functionality of Microsoft's Windows Live Messenger adding more functionality."

My sentence was better :P

Edit: I'm going over it now and in general improving the syntax and use of words.

This post was edited on 12-25-2007 at 11:27 AM by Chestah.
Segosa is newb.
12-25-2007 11:22 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: MP!L at Wikipedia
quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
I also agree about your biased/subjective view on my edits to the first paragraph... but seriously cookie do you think this is better?

"Messenger Plus! Live builds upon the functionality of Microsoft's Windows Live Messenger adding more functionality."

My sentence was better :P
Maybe not "better", but it is far more neutral.

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
Edit: I'm going over it now and in general improving the syntax and use of words.
cool...

Although I have my doubts about:
quote:
As of the 17th of August 2005, the Messenger Plus! website contained a petition to Microsoft's anti-spyware division regarding Windows Defender's (known as Microsoft AntiSpyware at the time) detection of the Messenger Plus! executable as spyware and subsequent warning that Messenger Plus! would attempt to install spyware at runtime (post-installation), rather than the setup program itself that contained the installer for the threat detected.
Simplyfying that (difficult) sentence a bit makes:

"As of the 2005-08-07, the Plus! website contained a petition to Microsoft's anti-spyware division regarding Windows Defender's detection of the Plus! executable as spyware, rather than the setup program itself that contained the installer for the threat detected."

The underlined part seems wrong. I'm not saying it is wrong grammar, just that it seems wrong. Especially "for the threat detected".

Can this be reworded?

PS: I already removed "Live" in that paragraph. At that time it was still MP!, not MP!L.

This post was edited on 12-25-2007 at 03:21 PM by CookieRevised.
12-25-2007 03:18 PM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
PS: I already removed "Live" in that paragraph. At that time it was still MP!, not MP!L.

Ah thanks Cookie :).

quote:
The underlined part seems wrong. I'm not saying it is wrong grammar, just that it seems wrong. Especially "for the threat detected".

Yeah i know what you mean, i spent awhile trying to think of something better to write there... but i guess all my positive christmas energy was gone by that time! I'm busy today but if no ones fixed it by the time i get back i'll see what i can do. I was going to say "spyware" but thats from the prospective of windows defender. I was also going to say "optional adware" but thats from the prospective of MP!L. I was looking for something neutral.

quote:

When i say better, i mean it makes more sense. Read the sentence closely and you'll see why. That sentence basically says this:

"MP!L builds functionality by adding more functionality" - its circulatory and basically says the same thing twice.

Maybe something like this would be better:

"Messenger Plus! Live integrates into Windows Live Messenger's graphical user interface providing users with additional functionality."

This post was edited on 12-25-2007 at 09:45 PM by Chestah.
Segosa is newb.
12-25-2007 09:43 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
This screenshot needs updating:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Messengerplusname.png

1. It's not updated to show the Scripts icon.
2. "Messenger Plus! Live plugin" is incorrect
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
12-25-2007 09:52 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: