What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Do you think I have a case?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Do you think I have a case?
Author: Message:
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Do you think I have a case?
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
If you have an agreement with your bank that the bank will charge you £35 if you don't have enough money in your account at the time a direct debit is issued then you have no ground to stand on whatsoever. Not towards the bank and especially not towards the Mobile Phone network as they are not to blame for you not having enough money in your account at the time they charge.

Ok to clear things up.

My bill comes on the 1st of every month.

The money comes out of my account on the 16th

On the 10th, i realised that I didn't have enough money in my bank account, so i went on the network's site and paid that months bill by card.

They still charged me, even though my account was fully paid for.

quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
I've worked a little in accounts so I know a LITTLE on DD's. When was the DD due date, and when did you pay the phone company? Plus, did you inform your own bank to cancel this month's DD?

The direct debit isn't an order to take the same amount each month, they take how ever much I owe every month. At that point, i owed £0
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
12-30-2007 12:36 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Do you think I have a case?
The mobile phone network withdrawing is automated at the mobile networks side, you payed them another way just a few days before the withdrawal was due so it might have crossed. It would have been wise if you had called your mobile phone network the day you payed them in a different method to inform them that you did so they could cancel the automatic withdrawal. They are still not responsible for any agreement you have with your bank.

In short: If you had notified the mobile phone network before withdrawal time and they still charged then you "might" have a case, but if you did not then there is nothin you can do about it and you can't claim that money back from anyone. Just let this be a lesson on how to handle such in future. And find another bank with no such rediculous rules!

This post was edited on 12-30-2007 at 12:58 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
12-30-2007 12:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
There's always the "phone the bank/phone company and explain the situation and ask nice and hope for a credit from one or the other" route.
12-30-2007 03:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
If indeed that is what happened then they have no right to charge you when the account has already been fully paid.
Of course you are entitled to £35 in compensation from the mobile network as, but for their actions (which was a fault of their own as the account with them had already been settled and as such they were not entitled to any further cash), you would not have incurred the £35 charge from your bank.
Of course I would not expect them to repay you in cash (although legally they should, I doubt they would do it over the phone though) but you should at least have that much worth of calling credit for the next billing period.

I personally would not let the issue go, give them a call and keep arguing until you are provided with some form of compensation. After all, why should somebody essentially be stealing your hard earned cash?

This post was edited on 12-30-2007 at 04:41 PM by Volv.
12-30-2007 04:37 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
After all, why should somebody essentially be stealing your hard earned cash?

Or, in my case, hard earned student loan :p
Est. 1989
12-30-2007 05:58 PM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
hard earned student loan :P
Well it's still essentially stealing away your funds.
12-30-2007 06:04 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Well, I'm not really sure if you have a case. I mean, it would have been avoided if you had Overdraft Protection (which is pointless if you TRY not to do this stuff).

I got hacked once on my PayPal and someone tried taking 300EUR from me. It came out of my bank account (later refunded by PayPal). But I still had to pay a 37$ NonSufficient Fund. I managed to call my bank explain the fraud and I got it reduced to 8$ :p. :banana: Happy days
12-30-2007 06:34 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
But I still had to pay a 37$ NonSufficient Fund. I managed to call my bank explain the fraud and I got it reduced to 8$ .

I'm not going through my bank, it's not their fault, i'm going to ask my mobile phone network.
Est. 1989
12-30-2007 06:38 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
But I still had to pay a 37$ NonSufficient Fund. I managed to call my bank explain the fraud and I got it reduced to 8$ .

I'm not going through my bank, it's not their fault, i'm going to ask my mobile phone network.

Well you could try, no harm in that. But you should call your bank aswell. Just let them know what happened. Explain why you won't be paying that (jew techniques)
12-30-2007 06:40 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
You can ask (askin never hurt) but note that they don't have to pay you back anything as they are not responsible for any agreement you have with your bank. They did not receive 55 pounds through the withdrawal nor do they get the 35 your bank charges, they would have cancelled the withdrawal if you had notified/warned them you had already payed them in a different way than usual/agreed upon.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
12-30-2007 10:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: