What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Blu Ray won

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Blu Ray won
Author: Message:
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Blu Ray won
Fanboys aside (i.e. ignoring every post above this one :P), the volume and quality of games released on the 360 (BioShock, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey) in 2007 were [far] superior to PS3s which was basically limited to Uncharted, the rest of which were unfortunately flops for the PS3 (ahem, Lair).

Whilst Blu-ray has won the battle I do not believe that this will particularly move many PS3s in the short term future as whilst the technology is great, it is not yet a 'must have' and in many households is still redundant technology. However, the fact that many of PS3's promised games which have unfaithfully been delayed are supposedly coming this year, any changes in units sold will not necessarily reflect Blu-ray's victory.
I dont think that people should be associating Blu-ray vs HD DVD as PS3 vs 360 as it's simply not true, how many 360 users have actually bought the HD DVD peripheral? I'm sure the answer is along the lines of 'little to none' yet people are still buying the 360.
02-20-2008 08:56 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
Blu-ray drives are getting cheaper and cheaper so it doesn't really matter. I would only get the 360 because they are the "best bang for your buck". But then again PC > *.
[Image: awd.png]
Drawn into the darkness here with your eyes on the prize at stake.
Faint hearts on an endless path letting go of the ones we break.
02-20-2008 09:35 AM
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
Nintendo FTW :P lol joke

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
But then again PC > *.
I think we can all agree on that

This post was edited on 02-20-2008 at 09:36 AM by Th3rmal.
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
02-20-2008 09:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Blu-ray drives are getting cheaper and cheaper so it doesn't really matter. I would only get the 360 because they are the "best bang for your buck". But then again PC > *.
Completely agreed, if you have a computer thats up for the best games of today, some people don't have all the up to date graphics cards and stuff, like me till my new one comes :P So 360 is the next best thing :P
...there used to be a signature here :)
02-20-2008 09:39 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
I think you're all idiots. The Xbox doesn't use HD DVDs. That's why if you want to play HD DVDs on it you have to buy an extension. MS knows people wouldn't want extra money put on their console for a player not many people wanted. Unlike Sony. The PS3 is still crap and has not gotten any better since the death of HD DVD. It still has a limited game base, most of which are crap, and since it's a GAMING console, I'd say that's a major flaw.

MS can easily make a Blu dvd add on to the 360, just like they did for HD DVD, I don't think they're going to suffer very much.

Also, the discs haven't taken off much anyway, most people are still happy with their standard DVDs

This post was edited on 02-20-2008 at 10:07 AM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
02-20-2008 10:05 AM
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Also, the discs haven't taken off much anyway, most people are still happy with their standard DVDs
isnt this the case when most new formats are made, for a while the previous format is still more popular
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
02-20-2008 10:23 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
isnt this the case when most new formats are made, for a while the previous format is still more popular
Yes? My point was that there's plenty of time for deals to be made and blu ray to be incorporated into the 360, not to the mention that rumour has it MS is releasing a new console in 2010 anyway.
02-20-2008 10:31 AM
joemailey

38 / Male / –
1million hd dvd player/drive(including the addon drive for 360) sales
vs
10million + blu ray players/drive/ps3 sales.

This is why hd dvd failed.

Ps3 a failure as a games console? maybe, but it can only get better with GTA and MSG coming.
Sony made blu ray and they put it in they ps3 bcos they new thats what they would have to do to win the format war.

After losing to VHS last time, they weren't gonna make the same mistake and they got that start because ps3 sold with a blu ray drive.

Mighten be good selection of games yet but it won sony the format war plus a lot of money now hd dvd will not be around.

Sony learnt a lot from the last format war and won this one hands down with experience!
02-20-2008 10:32 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
I think you'll find Blu Ray won due to Warner and such big films companies saying they were going Blu. Once they announced it, everyone followed suit like sheep. I'm not saying Blu is crap, I'm just saying it won't affect the xbox much.
02-20-2008 10:35 AM
joemailey

38 / Male / –
that was part of the reason also HD DVD didnt really go down to well, from the start.

Blu ray took of better.

It won't really effect 360 as you say just look at the Wii for example.
People will go for what suits them best.
02-20-2008 10:39 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: