What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Accessing a computer on a network

Accessing a computer on a network
Author: Message:
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Accessing a computer on a network
Hi, I am on a network, with about 500 other people, so we all share the same IP address for the internet.

Is there any way that someone from outside the network, can access my computer specifically, obviously since I am on a network they can't just type my IP address in.

I have created a game in Java for my coursework that you can play over the internet, and I want my friend to play it.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
03-04-2008 10:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Accessing a computer on a network
Try using Hamachi. This allows you to create a Virtual Private Network with your friends.

I did not think it difficult to install at all, and it works on my university's network so I would assume it will work for you.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
03-04-2008 11:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Soardra

The original Soaring Dragon

35 / Female / Flag
O.o wouldn't you just embed it in a site and then link the friend to the site? (aka put the applet in Myspace or MSNSpace via code)

I don't know Java all too well, so if you don't find this helpful I don't mind o.o
[Image: 81-0.png]
Thanks for uploading my pirate status buttons, MeEtc ^^
03-04-2008 11:19 PM
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
Try using Hamachi. This allows you to create a Virtual Private Network with your friends.

I did not think it difficult to install at all, and it works on my university's network so I would assume it will work for you.
Hamachi is a very good program, but i think that it also works upon IP addresses (i could be wrong), but im sure theres a way to join just your specific computer..
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
03-05-2008 03:13 AM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
well I think you want to use Universal plug n Play port mapping, I wouldn't quite use hamachi but maybe a porable version (buri) might be plausible
but may be more trouble than it's worth, hamachi connects to the logmein ppl's server then you create a new virtual network then have others join it gives you an ip address for your virtual network.

Soardra has the most common solution but you could try and do something with port mapping (you could also connect outbound of your gateway to the target ip as outbound is eaiser to unblock but my guess is that is not what you want to do)

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

03-05-2008 05:56 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: