What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Is there an end to space

Pages: (12): « First « 6 7 8 9 [ 10 ] 11 12 » Last »
Is there an end to space
Author: Message:
sasquatch

Odi et amo.

36 / Male / –
RE: Is there an end to space
quote:
Originally posted by illuzn
where did all the anti matter go...
wouldn't it be destroyed on the moment it contacted matter? isn't that one of key attributes of anitmatter that allow for possible animatter propulsion and the reason u need to form isolation chambers for antimatter
Dare to dream.
07-20-2004 02:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Blah , The question to me isnt if Space ends or not but IF space ends then whats beyond space....:S :p
07-20-2004 02:35 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Vantage

Bam

– / Male / –
I believe that it is the white light that people see when they die and go towards although i would be willing to go out in space as far as i could even knowing i wouldn't come back but at least i would know
Never Hope. Always Wish.
07-20-2004 02:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Vendetta

36 / Male / –
hmm i dont really know what i think *-)
i think that there isnt an end of space... it would be weird if you were in space with your spaceshuttle and flew as far as possible, but then you stop. you cant go further cause there is some kind of wall blockin' your way. that would be really weird.

but what IS there? i dunno..
i want to know too if there is something beyond space :)
07-20-2004 09:41 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
illuzn

00 Dodge Viper GTS-R

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch
wouldn't it be destroyed on the moment it contacted matter? isn't that one of key attributes of anitmatter that allow for possible animatter propulsion and the reason u need to form isolation chambers for antimatter

but that's the point why didn't all matter get destroyed the instant it was created in the big bang...

heres the question i want in diagramatical form:
big bang-->theoretically 50% matter 50%anti-matter --> matter and anti-matter anhilate each other-->no earth or solar system or matter for that matter
[Image: signature.jpg]
07-20-2004 09:52 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
sasquatch, I'm not gonna quote you (too much ;)), but illuzn already made some important comments... Although you learned that energy isn't exactly (mathematicaly) mass/matter (which is correct), it is the same in a sense that you can convert mass to energy and energy to mass (which was what I meant with "energy=matter", it wasn't a mathematicaly correct formula). That's a fundamental law. (at least in theory, we humans can't do it in practice (yet?) unfortunatly, because otherwise all energy problems in the world would be solved)

and "velocity=displacement": that is actually true. Whenever you have velocity you will have speed and therefore, you will have displacement. (Vice versa is a bit different: only when you have displacement and your speed is different, then you have velocity.)

Furthermore, you, without knowing it I think, actually quoted almost exactly Hubble's law (velocity=H x distance, where H is Hubble's constant). This defines the expantion rate of the universe and is a method to measure distant objects ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Vantage
I believe that it is the white light that people see when they die and go towards although i would be willing to go out in space as far as i could even knowing i wouldn't come back but at least i would know
You wouldn't know and the traveling would be very very boring, because you wont see much... Although there is a lot in space, it all is very distant appart, it's not like in StartTrek where you push a button and 5 minutes later you come to a new solarsystem... Also, the human can't even leave his own galaxy in his lifespan, you would've already died of extreme old age before you even come close to the "edge" of our galaxy (which is only a very very very very very ... very small dot in the known universe).... The closest galaxy (Andromeda Galaxy) is 2.9 million light years away from the sun. (how do we know this: see this very nice explaination)

(for those who do not know: a light year is not a time refference but a distance refference like kilometers or miles... 1 light year = the distance that light can travel in 1 year, so if humans could travel with the speed of light, it would take 2.9 million years to reach our neighbour galaxy)

To give a very SMALL idea of how big the universe is:
* We all know our solarsystem
* Our galaxy (of which we can see a part of it, known as the Milky Way in the nightsky) consists of billions of such solarsystems
* Our closest neighbour galaxy is 2.9 million light years away called Andromeda Galaxy (travelling at the speed of light, it would take 2.9 million years to reach it.)
* There can be thousands of galaxies in one galaxy-cluster (all distant appart in terms of million of lightyears). Our galaxy-cluster, named The Local Group, is however very very very poor and has only two large spiral galaxies, one small spiral galaxy, two ellipticals galaxies, 13 irregulars, and 14 dwarf ellipticals.
* Clusters also group together on their part to form superclusters. Again there are billions and billions of such superclusters...

A Trip Through the Universe (with actual data): http://magnum.anu.edu.au/%7ETDFgg/Public/Movie/
(note the "dots" you'll see in most part of the "travel sequences" are not stars!, they are galaxies which consist billions of stars)

quote:
Originally posted by illuzn
or matter for that matter
lol, my head hurts now.... I'm going to enjoy the weather outside now.... EDIT: (damn, it rains)

This post was edited on 07-20-2004 at 11:03 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-20-2004 10:18 AM
Ice Queen

To Die For

39 / Female / –
i dont think there is an end to space u know y because it is SPACE and there is alot of it :lol:
Sexual Seductress
07-30-2004 05:21 PM
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
lol, be weird if the endings to both the men in black films where what the universes are....one in a marble the othe rin a locker! lol

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
07-31-2004 12:05 AM
kangie

falling...

38 / Female / –
space is forever expanding.... and theoretically will keep doing so until it loses momentum and begins to implode :P tbh, we wont know until it happens.... but as far as we are concerned, it just keeps on going....
[Image: sig.jpg]
07-31-2004 12:41 PM
The Napster

I seriously need to change this pic

– / Male / –
Ill just say what i think i remember:

Space is forever expanding, so youll never reach the end.
But of cource there are many theories. And i guess well never know cuz its so fucking big.

So who knows... *-)
[Image: globesig2.png]
07-31-2004 01:28 PM
Pages: (12): « First « 6 7 8 9 [ 10 ] 11 12 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: