What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater

[Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater
Sorry, but why must this be restricted to the scripts-DB????????????????????????

I don't see any reason why it should only be done for scripts in the DB. Sorry, but that is just not right. And I don't see any reason why it can't or shouldn't be for all developers.

And inserting even more stuff in the PLSC? Why? That is really not needed at all and will eventually lead to scripts not being able to update when links change etc. Not to mention that people could be confused since you will end up with different sized PLSC for the same script, etc... And I don't want any program to insert anything in my PLSC either. And it would be hard for the user to control when there needs to be an update-check, and what about the UI of the updater? Is that all going to be included, each time, in every script on the user's computer? That's a serious waste, imho.

An update checker should be powered by Plus! itself; Plus! will handle where to read from, where the update-db is located, what to show to the user, etc. All which is required in the script itself are 2 small extra tags (the numerical version number and the GUID), nothing more. The rest is in the update-DB.

And the update-DB will not contain any PLSCs at all, just some small info like the GUID, the latest numerical version number, the URL where the new version can be downloaded from and the latest string version number, and maybe title and description to show something to the user. This makes that thousands and thousands of people/scripts can use this and it would still be fast.

Please consider this.

quote:
Originally posted by markee
I don't see why something cannot be written to cope with these extra expressions.
Because the version number string can contain any text and numbers in any form. I have seen version numbers like "Alpha", "001", "1.003", "2,50", with hyphens in between, commas, text, parenthesis, whatever. It is simply not possible to use the existing version tag to make a fail-proof comparison. Using a positive whole number is the most easiest. The comparison will be fail-proof and you wont restrict people from using their own version system (nor do you need to code an extremely rediculus complex routine, which will always have shortcommings, to compare something).

This post was edited on 04-02-2008 at 01:22 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-02-2008 01:03 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
[Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by Ifaiden on 03-30-2008 at 11:46 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by MattyRid on 03-30-2008 at 11:52 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by aNILEator on 03-30-2008 at 01:10 PM
RE: RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by Volv on 03-31-2008 at 12:43 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by CookieRevised on 03-31-2008 at 05:47 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by markee on 04-01-2008 at 11:57 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by CookieRevised on 04-01-2008 at 01:00 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by Volv on 04-01-2008 at 01:22 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by markee on 04-01-2008 at 01:25 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by matty on 04-01-2008 at 02:04 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by -dt- on 04-01-2008 at 11:40 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by CookieRevised on 04-02-2008 at 01:03 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by matty on 04-02-2008 at 02:28 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by Menthix on 04-02-2008 at 05:56 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by Eljay on 04-02-2008 at 09:30 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by CookieRevised on 04-02-2008 at 10:08 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by Menthix on 04-02-2008 at 07:38 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by Matt-in on 04-24-2008 at 08:11 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: