What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater

[Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
All I can think of about this right now is that it is only for some kind of elite restricted group of scripters who don't tolorate anything else.
Why do you think that :S? IMO the scripts DB is not very restrictive at all. The most common reasons for denying a script are:
  • Script isn't a valid .plsc file, or submitter didn't include all the information in his mail as requested at http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/submit/ (submitter gets mailed back why and gets the chance to fix it).
  • Script has code copied from another script (if submitter gets permission from the original creator it can still be added).
  • Script doesn't contain copied code, but still does almost exactly the same as a script already in the db (can still be added if the submitter can explain why his script is considerably better or different than the old alternative).
  • Script is malicious / highly annoys contacts... think about flooders, trojan-like scripts, obvious spamming, "hacking", etc.
  • Script could be replaced by an existing Plus! feature or a quicktext.
  • Simple autotalkers, bots, "wierdmakers" and random quote generators are generally only accepted if the script offers a GUI to edit/add more to the rules/quotes of the script. (this to avoid the db being flooded with this kind of scripts, if well done with an configuration panel scripts in this category are still accepted).
  • Script has an obvious bug, preventing it from functioning under normal usage, or slowing down/crashing Messenger (submitter gets the chace to fix the error).
That's not a very small list, but i think those are reasonable restrictions for everyone. Other reasons to deny a script are very rare. You certainly don't have to be some leet coders to get in. I don't know where you base your opinion on, do you have an example of a script that got denied and you think should have been accepted?

The skins db is a bit more restrictive, where a fair amount of submits get denied because they are basically not more than a background image on the contaclist and convo windows. We try to keep a balanced amount of quality skins to show skins are really different from what Messenger already offers.

You mentioned the XP/Vista issue multiple times. Officially i haven't heard anything about that from Patch yet. We still have to talk about that once it becomes an issue. For now there is no restriction on XP-only scripts at all. In fact, i test all scripts on an XP machine... i don't even have a physical Vista machine yet myself.
If Patchou would want to filter XP-only script in a way i would suggest doing something like the compatibility info in the skins db. Eitherway, nothing has been decided around that yet (not from my side at least).

If you find serious problems with a script in the db, mail me. For bugs that don't cause fatal errors, contact the creator... I don't expect all scripts in the DB to be "bugfree" as part of not being too restrictive.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
04-02-2008 07:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
[Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by Ifaiden on 03-30-2008 at 11:46 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by MattyRid on 03-30-2008 at 11:52 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by aNILEator on 03-30-2008 at 01:10 PM
RE: RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by Volv on 03-31-2008 at 12:43 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by CookieRevised on 03-31-2008 at 05:47 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by markee on 04-01-2008 at 11:57 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by CookieRevised on 04-01-2008 at 01:00 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by Volv on 04-01-2008 at 01:22 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by markee on 04-01-2008 at 01:25 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by matty on 04-01-2008 at 02:04 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by -dt- on 04-01-2008 at 11:40 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by CookieRevised on 04-02-2008 at 01:03 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by matty on 04-02-2008 at 02:28 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by Menthix on 04-02-2008 at 05:56 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by Eljay on 04-02-2008 at 09:30 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by CookieRevised on 04-02-2008 at 10:08 AM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by Menthix on 04-02-2008 at 07:38 PM
RE: [Feature Suggestion] Script/Skin Updater - by Matt-in on 04-24-2008 at 08:11 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: