What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Reinstalling Windows without actually losing installed programs/drivers theory

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Reinstalling Windows without actually losing installed programs/drivers theory
Author: Message:
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Reinstalling Windows without actually losing installed programs/drivers theory
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
However, it may come in handy, since I have to format my laptop every few months due to that faulty HDD...
theres an easier fix for that: replace the hard drive
Buy me a hard drive and I'll happily do that :P

This post was edited on 03-27-2008 at 09:44 PM by Mike.
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
03-27-2008 09:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Reinstalling Windows without actually losing installed programs/drivers theory
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
However, it may come in handy, since I have to format my laptop every few months due to that faulty HDD...
theres an easier fix for that: replace the hard drive
Buy me a hard drive and I'll happily do that :P
give me the money and sure :P
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6654 days, 23 hours, 15 minutes, 2 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
03-27-2008 10:13 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Reinstalling Windows without actually losing installed programs/drivers theory
IIRC if you are using windows Vista, you can do a thing called Special Copy (not too sure on the name i have to go back into my pc magazines and search for it), basically it moves everything to the designated folder, correcting all settings and registry files connected to that folder, then after your done you can run it again and put it back in its rightful place. i'll put up more info when i can be bothered going and digging out my mag.

This post was edited on 03-28-2008 at 04:53 AM by Th3rmal.
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
03-28-2008 04:53 AM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
It could work, if you were lucky. But I don't see the point in it since all you'd be doing is replacing the Windows files, which can be done with a repair install anyway.

If you're trying to get a base system every time you re-format, the best way is to make an image of your base install using something like True Image, and then burn that to a DVD. Every time you need to reinstall, just restore that image.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
03-28-2008 10:32 AM
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: RE: Reinstalling Windows without actually losing installed programs/drivers theory
quote:
Originally posted by andrey
Even if it worked, what would be the point of it? When you copy your old folders back to the new installation, you would copy all the maybe faulty registry settings and files back aswell.
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
What about registry settings.
Registry settings would be stored in the Windows\System32\Config folder.

But tbh I doubt this would work anyway.

as well as C:\Documents and Settings\All Users and C:\Documents and Settings\{user}
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
03-31-2008 02:44 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Suppose I copy the Program Files and Windows folder (especially the Windows\system32\config folder), format the HDD, and reinstall Windows.
Now, as soon as Windows finishes copying the files, instead of booting into Windows to continue the installation, you would boot into an other OS, and copy back the files you previously copied. Then, you would boot into Windows and it should be pretty much the same before formatting.

you wouldn't even need to reinstall windows, because you'd just be replacing every file it installs with the old versions. you could just format and copy everything back, and you'd have the same effect. though, if you're doing it because of a failing hard drive, why not just run chkdsk?
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
03-31-2008 03:28 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Suppose I copy the Program Files and Windows folder (especially the Windows\system32\config folder), format the HDD, and reinstall Windows.
Now, as soon as Windows finishes copying the files, instead of booting into Windows to continue the installation, you would boot into an other OS, and copy back the files you previously copied. Then, you would boot into Windows and it should be pretty much the same before formatting.

you wouldn't even need to reinstall windows, because you'd just be replacing every file it installs with the old versions. you could just format and copy everything back, and you'd have the same effect. though, if you're doing it because of a failing hard drive, why not just run chkdsk?

you'd need boot ini but if you just coppied all the needed files it would probally work but, may be pointless, it won't fix an installation error but might help migrating hard disks, but you could just use some sort of disk image app

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

03-31-2008 06:09 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Reinstalling Windows without actually losing installed programs/drivers theory
I wasn't talking about replacing files that already exist, but just merging the directories.
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
03-31-2008 11:32 AM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
I wasn't talking about replacing files that already exist, but just merging the directories.
well try it,,, i'll give you an Australian penny:P...

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

03-31-2008 11:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
What do you understand about "merging" in that case?

Because for starters you also would have files which already exist on the almost-installed-Windows, thus those need to be replaced by the backup. If you mean merging as in one-way-syncronizing, then you wont replace any existing file, just copying not-yet-existing files.

For something like that to work, in theory, you at the least need a "replace" in the true sense of the word since there will be files which are already on the almost-installed-Windows which you need to update (eg: registry hives).

So a merge as in "one-way-syncronizing" will never work, even not in theory.

;)

JBut just make a ghost image. That's the most easiest and fastest way to put Windows back as it was. Much faster than formatting, reinstalling, merging, etc... and fix your drive, or buy another one :p
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-31-2008 04:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: