What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site!

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 » Last »
I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site!
Author: Message:
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site!
Well we kinda have a copyright notice I guess which the guy who posted the comment falls under, but I don't think anyone would pay any notice at all too

Content belongs to the respective owners and you may not redistribute material without full permission from the owner.
04-06-2008 03:01 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Well we kinda have a copyright notice I guess which the guy who posted the comment falls under, but I don't think anyone would pay any notice at all too

Content belongs to the respective owners and you may not redistribute material without full permission from the owner.
Sorry, but that's not even remotely close to be labeled as a disclaimer.

That single line is just saying that all content belongs to their respective owners. Now, I'm no lawyer. No lawyer at all, but in terms of owner, the comments belong to the site, as the site both hosts and display the comments, unless otherwise is stated.

That's where the disclaimer comes in handy, you state that the data that you host and display is not content that you are responsible of, and to view the site / use it you agree to be bound by that fact.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Please do. But the Wikipedia article may help you a bit.
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
04-06-2008 03:12 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site!
I don't have a disclaimer for what's posted in comments, I do for custom content however. I should add something along the lines that I cannot control what users add, but people should have common sense to realize that I don't add all the comments myself.

In the past I have found people using my work, and I give them an email which works really way and maintain a good relationship with the person. I do feel victimized in all this and I now have a poor opinion of Microsoft. Ironically the person who issued the DMCA I believe works in the customer relation and marketing area at Microsoft :P.
04-06-2008 06:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I do feel victimized in all this and I now have a poor opinion of Microsoft.
Too bad you still think this is MS' fault, since MS didn't do anything remotely wrong at all. But anyways...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-06-2008 06:52 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
If it were me, I would add a 'Report' button next to each comment. :happy:
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
04-06-2008 07:00 PM
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site!
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
quote:

That single line is just saying that all content belongs to their respective owners. Now, I'm no lawyer. No lawyer at all, but in terms of owner, the comments belong to the site, as the site both hosts and display the comments, unless otherwise is stated.

That's where the disclaimer comes in handy, you state that the data that you host and display is not content that you are responsible of, and to view the site / use it you agree to be bound by that fact.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Please do. But the Wikipedia article may help you a bit.

It really depends on which country you are in. Each will have their own definitions of property, belonging to another etc. I doubt you can write a legally binding universal disclaimer.
04-06-2008 07:34 PM
Ashley_H

RE: RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site!
quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
maybe microsoft should shut google down until they remove all the links to WLM 9 8-)
Maybe they should shut Live.com Search...

Or ... what about every search engine on the web?
04-06-2008 07:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
quote:

It really depends on which country you are in. Each will have their own definitions of property, belonging to another etc. I doubt you can write a legally binding universal disclaimer.
What matters is what country the service (aka the hoster, Dreamhost) is located. How the disclaimer is written is up to you, but visitors of that page (service) would have to abide by those "rules" / terms of use, to use the service. So, in one way it would be like a universal disclaimer, since it is the laws of the country the service exists that matters, not the country of the visitor.

Pretty much why the norwegian goverment can't do anything with those that play poker online. (It's illegal in Norway)
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
04-06-2008 08:54 PM
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
You could force all comments that include a link to go into a moderation queue, to help stop similar problems happening again in the future.

I don't believe Microsoft has done anything wrong, and you don't know that they haven't contacted all the other sites with links to WLM9 too.
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
04-07-2008 04:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
androo123

STEWIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 / Male / Flag
Everyone is talking about WLM 9, is it Windows Live Messenger 9? I thought there was only an 8th version.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get."
05-28-2008 08:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: