What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus!

Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus!
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus!
First of all, good job in updating them. This is something I always wanted to do also (and I think I speak for many other translators too). So, excellent.

Now that you took the initiative, I hope the guidelines will once more become de defacto standard to read first before translating. (y)

A few comments, like Choli, though:
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
quote:
Examples of incorrect translations:
  • UnicodeRadio=Unicode encoding
  • UnicodeRadio= Unicode encoding
  • UnicodeRadio=Unicode
    encoding

Maybe I can't see well the document, but it seems to me that the first line can be a correct translation, can't it? Or it may be a typo where it should show the example of putting a space before the equal? (UnicodeRadio =blablabla)?
I wouldn't exactly describe these as incorrect. As a matter of fact, those entries (except the last one) are correct syntax.

Of course, the spaces could be removed to save some bytes. But it might be that some are done on purpose. eg: to have a better viewing of the translation. But they aren't incorrect...

Note that in some situations you could want to have a space in front of the translated sentence. For this you need to encapsulate the entire string in quotes. eg:
keyname="  keyvalue"

quote:
quote:
Different tags can be found in the text. Here is a list of those tags and their meaning:

Review this section. In Plus! Live, the only tags that appear are these:
  • [snipped]
  • \n, \t and & : the same as in Plus 2.x, 3.x.

There can be more iirc, but not all those tags (better would be escape codes, or whatever they are properly called in eg C++ and the likes) can always be used in each sentence. Test it before implementing them in the final translation.

About \n (newline): Use it with care. Especially in dialog texts. For example: Vista renders dialog boxes way differently than XP. So a sentence which you have divide up on a new line in XP can look quite crappy when it is shown in a Vista messagebox.

The same when you use it in text in windows. People can have different DPI settings which can lead to different sizes of (text) controls. Or something in that line (can't explain it accuratly/properly enough).

quote:
quote:
To edit it I recommend using Choli's tool for translating Messenger Plus!.
Thanks for the credits :P
I second this. However a strong note should be attached saying that the tool is just a tool. It should not be used as the only utility to translate. A big post of mine once listed the different aspects of translating and where Choli's excellent tool comes into play. It is only usefull for a small part of the entire things-to-do-list.

Also, much about these things (the docs) have been said in older threads. So this could also be something you (or somebody) could check. A lot of usefull stuff has been said in the past regarding the docs. So when you have the time, check those posts out also.

---

Finally, for now, would it be an idea to make a temporary WIKI out of the docs? In that way we could participate into updating the docs more easier while maintaining control. And links and shortcuts can be integrated for better navigation and relation between subjects and topics.

I'll comment further later on when I have some time

This post was edited on 04-15-2008 at 01:08 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-15-2008 12:56 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by Thor on 04-14-2008 at 06:17 PM
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by Choli on 04-14-2008 at 08:02 PM
RE: RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by CookieRevised on 04-15-2008 at 12:56 AM
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by John Anderton on 04-14-2008 at 08:55 PM
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by Choli on 04-14-2008 at 09:01 PM
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by Thor on 04-14-2008 at 09:40 PM
RE: RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by ahmetgns on 04-15-2008 at 08:07 PM
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by Chancer on 04-14-2008 at 11:29 PM
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by mynetx on 04-15-2008 at 07:41 AM
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by Thor on 04-15-2008 at 07:44 AM
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by Choli on 04-15-2008 at 07:05 PM
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by MeEtc on 04-15-2008 at 08:25 PM
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by ZrednaZ on 04-18-2008 at 11:50 AM
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by Thor on 04-18-2008 at 04:52 PM
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by Thor on 06-16-2008 at 11:20 PM
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by Basilis on 06-18-2008 at 03:11 PM
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - by CookieRevised on 05-25-2009 at 05:17 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: