What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [split] Microsoft rant

Pages: (14): « First « 7 8 9 10 [ 11 ] 12 13 14 » Last »
[split] Microsoft rant
Author: Message:
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
RE: [split] Microsoft rant
I disabled every single thing I could on Vista and I couldn't get it below 500mb of RAM. Interestingly though another time when I wasn't disabling anything (such as DWM etc, superfetch was off both times though) it was around the 475mb mark, which is roughly what I think Vista uses when it's doing absolutely nothing (read it a long time ago, it was four hundred and something). The computer's always been on power save yet it still drains a lot quicker compared to say XP (1.5 - 2x)

Comparing say 200mb on XP idle with 400 or so Vista idle it doesn't seem like much of a problem. But as soon as you start doing something with Vista (let's say opening Firefox) suddenly everything doubles (or triples), explorer starts using 50-100mb and sometimes even more some crazy reasons (not as often now since SP1...) and it jumps back up to 700-1000mb of ram again - and Firefox hasn't even loaded yet - it's still initializing and the process is only using 6mb so far...crazy! Sure other things like system-resources-that-do-stuff-that-can't-be-seen-without-other-useful-programs are contributing to the spike in ram, but it's still a massive leap just by doing one simple task (I guess that's where the limiting how much ram the OS can use would come into play :P)

This post was edited on 05-15-2008 at 10:34 AM by Aardvark.
05-15-2008 10:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
I seriously don't know where you're getting your figures from. With Firefox, Windows Live and uTorrent open, my Vista laptop sat at 40%. Which is pretty much 400mb.

And all that was disabled was DWM. [Superfetch etc, was still running]
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
05-15-2008 10:36 AM
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
I'm getting my figures from what I just did just then. 8-) My computer is whacked :S
05-15-2008 10:40 AM
mattisdada

RRElive.com

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [split] Microsoft rant
Your computer has some issues. By any chance do you have either
A) Spyware
B) Virus
C) Craptastical RAM

And why do you still have Windows 3.1 and MS DOS 6 installed on your computer!!!! And your running multipule virturull machines on a LAPTOP?! Does the processor even support Virtrulasation?!

And obviously somethings wrong if FF is using a GB. Even when my server is making a 75MB script (Its my browser tester) Opera doesnt go above 300, 000. And FF doesnt go above 500, 000.

Thats multipule tabs, and a 75MB generating document!!!!!

This post was edited on 05-15-2008 at 12:08 PM by mattisdada.
[Image: Siggy.png]

http://www.rrelive.com/RRElivev2

If you would like my theme for your phpBB3, please contact me.

Thy shouldnt be judged by thy rep givin to you, but by thy rep that you give.
05-15-2008 11:35 AM
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
Yes it does support virtualization, no I don't have a virus this is a fresh Vista installation I haven't even used it enough to possibly have any thing wrong with it, I didn't say Firefox was using a gb I said Vista was now using a gb.

EDIT: This isn't the first time I've tried to see what I can make the ram do by opening programs and closing everything else, this is just the results of what happened when I posted above. Every other time it's been pretty similar though (ie 1.3x more ram or whatever)

I have Windows 3.1 and MS DOS 6 installed because I thought it would be a challenge. It certainly was. But it was do-able. What's wrong with running multiple virtual machines? The things that I do don't test themselves you know.

And the RAM is fine it works great on every other operating system but Vista - the computer came pre-loaded with Vista so it's obviously designed for it.

This post was edited on 05-15-2008 at 11:46 AM by Aardvark.
05-15-2008 11:39 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Well I have 2GB or RAM and I'm hardly ever over 50% of it, and that's with things like Photoshop, Visual Studio etc running, and nothing lags =/
[Image: jumbled.png]
05-15-2008 12:26 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
And although yes, the CD media used by Music Artists is higher quailty, but they do it in mass bulk. It would only be abother 5c more per CD compared to Vertabrain ($16 for 50). And yes, they have to cover costs, sure. Thats a givin. But, theres a "covering costs" and theres a "over pricing". I was reading an article a while ago (it might be wrong, this was in a magizine btw), they said that for every $25 cd sold, the ARTIST makes $16.
Newb. They CAN'T use verbatim.... google your ass off until you find out how they are made.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
05-15-2008 03:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
And obviously somethings wrong if FF is using a GB. Even when my server is making a 75MB script (Its my browser tester) Opera doesnt go above 300, 000. And FF doesnt go above 500, 000.
I can make firefox use over 750mb easily...
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
05-15-2008 03:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
and remember one VERY important thing: taks manager is NOT a good way to measure the amount of memory really used by any of your programs. Memory is often reserved without being used, Windows knows that and uses that fact among many others to optimize all memory use.
[Image: signature2.gif]
05-15-2008 08:31 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
taks manager is NOT a good way to measure the amount of memory really used by any of your programs.
Interesting. What would be a good program to use instead?
05-16-2008 03:51 AM
Pages: (14): « First « 7 8 9 10 [ 11 ] 12 13 14 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: