What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [split] Microsoft rant

Pages: (14): « First « 9 10 11 12 [ 13 ] 14 » Last »
[split] Microsoft rant
Author: Message:
mattisdada

RRElive.com

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [split] Microsoft rant
It should be, i dont know google it. I found it when i was admin of the school for a week and i installed it into the network.

Turns out it was 3rd party... i swear i got one from Microsoft....... oh well.

http://www.download32.com/classic-menu-for-office-2007-i4492.html

This post was edited on 05-18-2008 at 11:55 AM by mattisdada.
[Image: Siggy.png]

http://www.rrelive.com/RRElivev2

If you would like my theme for your phpBB3, please contact me.

Thy shouldnt be judged by thy rep givin to you, but by thy rep that you give.
05-18-2008 11:37 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: [split] Microsoft rant
No, MS doesn't have anything which replaced the ribbon.

That 3rd party plugin (not a patch) is however not free and also doesn't include all the new stuff iirc and the menus are kind of ackward too.

IMHO, MS should have indeed included something to choose between the classic menus and the ribbon. If they did I would maybe have installed Office 2007, now I stay away from it as far as possible.

At least, MS does however have an online simulation where you can click on the normal classic menu and it tells you where that specific menu item is on the ribbon in Office 2007. Doesn't include all the classical menu items either though...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-18-2008 07:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

Cookie,

Have you tried Search Commands? It's a thing that MS put out to help people find things in the ribbon. May help you learn what's where and help you "Love it more." as in the screenshot...

[Image: Search%20Commands%20in%20Word%20633.jpg]
05-19-2008 03:08 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Nope, but very nice tip...

And here you can find the interactive flash guides (yes, Adobe flash :p) for Office 2007 which I talked about in my previous post. It shows the classical menu and when you click on a menu item it shows where it is located in the ribbon:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/training/HA102295841033.aspx
Choose an item under "Interactive Guides" > "Run from here"

And you also have Excel workbooks which map the classical menus to the ribbon menus under "Mapping Workbooks" for all the Office apps.

Doesn't let me "love" it more or "hate" it less though :p

This post was edited on 05-19-2008 at 06:14 AM by CookieRevised.
05-19-2008 06:12 AM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
Cookie, I highly suggest that if you find the time that you should try to muck around with office 2007.  It really makes things easy and has a lot more power that is easier to find.

I personally like the old classic menu, but it is just like getting any new software, you play around with it and find your way and soon enough you can use its full potential (it is definitely quicker and easier to learn its full potential with the layout and functionality of the new ribbon.
[Image: markee.png]
05-21-2008 02:13 AM
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Cookie,

Have you tried Search Commands? It's a thing that MS put out to help people find things in the ribbon. May help you learn what's where and help you "Love it more." as in the screenshot...

[Image: Search%20Commands%20in%20Word%20633.jpg]
that seems like a good feature. It has much potential IMO. Although watching the tutorial video, i couldnt actually concentrate on its features as i was too busy laughing at how the chick was singing the song :lol:
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
05-21-2008 03:23 AM
mattisdada

RRElive.com

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [split] Microsoft rant
The problem with bad singers :P
[Image: Siggy.png]

http://www.rrelive.com/RRElivev2

If you would like my theme for your phpBB3, please contact me.

Thy shouldnt be judged by thy rep givin to you, but by thy rep that you give.
05-21-2008 06:14 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by markee
Cookie, I highly suggest that if you find the time that you should try to muck around with office 2007.  It really makes things easy and has a lot more power that is easier to find.

I personally like the old classic menu, but it is just like getting any new software, you play around with it and find your way and soon enough you can use its full potential (it is definitely quicker and easier to learn its full potential with the layout and functionality of the new ribbon.
see my reply before: CookieRevised's reply to [split] Microsoft rant
05-21-2008 09:19 AM
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
With the way of limiting how much RAM windows can use, was this referring to  /MAXMEM being put in the boot.ini file (or something similiar for Vista). And if so - does this limit how much memory Windows thinks it has? Or does it actually limit how much it can use. So if I said maxmem was 100mb in the boot.ini file would Windows resources always make sure they stay under 100mb in total, allowing the rest of my RAM to be used freely with other applications? Or what.
05-21-2008 01:26 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
yes and no.

For Windows 2000/2003/NT/XP use "/MAXMEM=<amount in MB>" in BOOT.INI to set the maximum physical address that Windows will scan in search of RAM. Other programs which are able to access the memory directly(!) can then use the other memory.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/108393

For Window Vista use the "TRUNCATEMEMORY <amount in bytes>" switch in BCDEDIT for the same effect.

Never ever set those values lower than the minimum requirements for te OS! And it is highly important to note that this will only work if you have contiguous ram. eg: there will always be a gap in the address space at the 3,5GB boundery.

---

However, it must be noted that the "/BURNMEMORY=<amount in MB>" parameter would probably more what you're looking for though. This will subtract the amount of megabytes you've specified from the amount of memory otherwise allocated to the system.

For Windows Vista the equivalent is the "REMOVEMEMORY <amount in bytes>" switch.

Then there is also the /3GB parameter...

---------------------------------------

But actually, as said several times before, there is no reason and it makes very little sense why you should want to use all that (unless you want to test something in a simulated low or high memory environment). The Windows OS uses as much memroy as it can use and it does this in a dynamic and ntelligent way, it will not 'overuse' the memory. Furthermore, memory is there to be used, and if the OS doesn't use it, it is available for programs, and vice versa. And remember that using the task manager (or many many other but similar tools) to check how much memory actually is used by a program or Windows is not possible!! It will give you a completely wrong idea.

Things you MUST read before using it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/108393
http://technet.microsoft.com/nl-be/sysinternals/bb963892(en-us).aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2007/01/26/1537079.aspx

This post was edited on 05-21-2008 at 05:03 PM by CookieRevised.
05-21-2008 03:08 PM
Pages: (14): « First « 9 10 11 12 [ 13 ] 14 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: