What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
[Release] URL Preview 1.0.1
Author: Message:
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1
quote:
Originally posted by Intosia
I dont know how the script makes the thumbnail (i asume loading a instance of IE and making a screenshot). But what about security? Sites that do someting that is not cool, like evil javacript/cookies/ etc. Those are then automaticly executed. So when u know who has the script you send 'evil site', and its executed on the receivers pc.
The script uses a site called SnapCasa which makes the screenshots. It's completely safe to use this, because if the site is bad, the worst thing that could happen is that the SnapCasa server is attacked. The thumbnail isn't made on your computer, it is simply downloaded from the SnapCasa servers. ;)
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
05-12-2008 08:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
quote:
I dont know how the script makes the thumbnail (i asume loading a instance of IE and making a screenshot). But what about security? Sites that do someting that is not cool, like evil javacript/cookies/ etc. Those are then automaticly executed. So when u know who has the script you send 'evil site', and its executed on the receivers pc.
The script uses a site called SnapCasa which makes the screenshots. It's completely safe to use this, because if the site is bad, the worst thing that could happen is that the SnapCasa server is attacked. The thumbnail isn't made on your computer, it is simply downloaded from the SnapCasa servers. ;)
In that case, I will install it (y)(y)(y)...

PS: you might wanna explain this too in the description. It's very important info to know me thinks (and might give you some more downloads too) :D
Together with saying that the thumbs are cached, so it might be that it doesn't give a 'live' view of the site

------

What happens when a snapshot is queued? Does the script try again after a few seconds? I ask this because when I tried out their service (without your script) I often get a "queued snapshot" and I needed to refresh the page again.
^^ EDIT: Apparently not. So, it would be nice if the script would retry a few (user configuarable) seconds later when a "in queue" picture is shown because I get them all the time :(

I also hope such a script isn't seen as abusing their system though :p

This post was edited on 05-13-2008 at 12:04 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-12-2008 08:42 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
It could me modified to support many different similar website thumbnail services I'm sure to help ease the load on the servers
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
05-12-2008 08:56 PM
Intosia

I'm dynamic ^^

40 / Male / –
RE: RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1
quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
quote:

Ahhh ok :) After looking at the script i thought it would be something like that :)

Tobad you packed the most interesting part though :P
05-13-2008 08:27 AM
mynetx
Skinning Contest Winner

Microsoft insider

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1
quote:
Not at all, the packed part is not a central part of the script ;)

And thanks for all your input, guys. I will have a look in when to implement which features, depending on my time. The people who betatested the script once will notice that it took quite long, because I didn't have time for this script for a long time (first alpha is from January...).

/edit: Intosia, both your avatar URL and the URL to change it within your signature are unknown, as the corresponding domain name is a free domain.

This post was edited on 05-13-2008 at 11:08 AM by mynetx.
mynetx - Microsoft, enhanced.

You have a problem or issue with Windows, Internet
Explorer or Office?
Send a tweet!
05-13-2008 11:02 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mynetx
quote:
Not at all, the packed part is not a central part of the script ;)
Why is it there in the first place? And why hide it like it is something malicious*? IF anything, show it, eg: in the about window or something... As it only enlarges the script and has no further use. And, tbh, is one of the reason I personally would remove scripts if I wasn't able to unpack it to see what it is (and I know I'm not the only one)....

* For those who wonder, it isn't malicious at all... but it also will not work most of the time...

EDIT: must have looked a bit better the first time. Ok, there's a reason it is there. But still, there are better (and smaller) ways to do it.... (see MSN chat)

This post was edited on 05-14-2008 at 02:20 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-14-2008 02:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
The website link in the about window points to http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/view/-1/?lang=en
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
05-14-2008 02:12 PM
mynetx
Skinning Contest Winner

Microsoft insider

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1
Thanks Dempsey, this bug will be resolved as soon as I have this version added to the scripts DB and then publish a new version with the correct script_database_id ;)
mynetx - Microsoft, enhanced.

You have a problem or issue with Windows, Internet
Explorer or Office?
Send a tweet!
05-14-2008 02:17 PM
mattumanutd

30 / Male / Flag
i like it alot just i would like it mroe if it was on the bottom right ratehr then teh bottom left, u can input a choice for the user to choose the position :P
[Image: 4231b2ad0ba9497a6274a508dc850cde-67-en.png]
05-18-2008 06:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mattumanutd
i like it alot just i would like it mroe if it was on the bottom right ratehr then teh bottom left, u can input a choice for the user to choose the position :P
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
Personally, i love this script, its really useful when friends think they're funny sending you dirty links like lemonparty:P and you click them. Also, i think you should give the user a choice of where to position the toast, like bottom left, top left, top right etc, and the size of the window, rather than having choices, maybe just let the user enter their own constraints, maybe with a restriction so it cannot go larger than a certain number. Thanks :)
05-18-2008 09:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: