What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » [split] strange happenings

[split] strange happenings
Author: Message:
elmo100

O.P. RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read!
Forgive me for I know this has been discussed at length but I am yet to understand why these things are happening.By all means delete this post if it is entirely repetative but I would be grateful if someone were to direct me to the relevant information.
I only use messenger plus sound event notifications for one of my 10 contacts so I don`t think I am overloading the system. When I sign into messenger I often see their icon in green with the information that they are online...so I send a "hi".Within seconds they change to grey icon and offline.The sound notification and pop up indicate the status and I have included a message in the pop up to tell me the status and the relevant music so I can see any discrepancies.But I often get conflicting information...such as they appear offline but their status changes several times withinn a short period.

The most recent pattern was as follows;

I log in         Their icon is green    Info ONLINE     I say HI
a few secs    Their icon is GREY   Info OFFLINE   

1 MINUTE   A NEW CHAT EVENT SOUNDS WITH POP UP    It doesn`t  show in my window   so I assume they are chatting to someone else

I send a message then go to APPEAR OFFLINE

4 MINUTES LATER....Their icon green   and ONLINE

Claim that they haven`t received any messages or haven`t been online

In event log it displays all what has happened plus the added info that at some stage they were BUSY.
The four events I have assigned all work together..ie music and pop up and correlate...but this contact is adament that they are logged ina and out automatically yet the status changes bear no regular pattern.
I want to desparately sort this out.
Thanks for your patience [in anticipation]

This has wrecked my marriage,Because I was trying to build up trust and questioned the goings on...the changing of status...the logging off as soon as i appeared...the new chat started event notifier sounding when no chat box appeared in my window...the lack of effort to help me try to solve and understand these strange happenings all compounded doubt in me.It doesn`t happen with any of my other contacts but thank you for reading.
It should be a warning to any vulnerable partners.
05-12-2008 09:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Sounds, colors, commands not working? please read!
elmo, for starters this is completely off topic in this thread....

Anyways, I'm not able to explain everything but from what I read you are also seriously misinterpreting stuff and using some scripts/plugins in the (very) wrong way.

For example:
quote:
Originally posted by elmo100
1 MINUTE   A NEW CHAT EVENT SOUNDS WITH POP UP    It doesn`t  show in my window   so I assume they are chatting to someone else
There is no way what-so-ever that you can know if your contact is talking to someone else. A 'New Chat' event does not mean the contact has started a new chat with somebody else, at all... That is impossible to know.

Furthermore, the meaning highly depends on what you mean with a "new chat" event and from what Messenger-tool it comes from. If it is the event build in Plus! itself (called 'event notifications' > 'started a new chat') it will only be triggered when a new conversation window actually _appears_ on your screen, which will only happen when the contact has actually send a message. If it is the event comming from so called "open window notifiers" it can mean 1001 other things since those "open window notifiers" do NOT work properly, NONE of them do.

Second, it wouldn't be the first time that a certain contact's Messenger has hickups and doesn't always show the real proper status to you. This can happen to one (or more) contacts on your contact list. So, I'm not saying the contact is not hiding from you, but to automatically come to the conclussion that he/she is, is also taking it too far...

Messenger is not a tool to spy check on people. It isn't made for that and it (still) has too many hickups sometimes to make any strong conclussions like that, especially when used with 3rd party tools which are designed wrong or which can be misinterpret all too easy.

If you want to know what is up, my advise would be to talk to them directly, in real life (and remove 3rd party tools like "open window notifiers"). That's the only thing you can do to make sure....

;)

This post was edited on 05-12-2008 at 08:13 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-12-2008 08:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
elmo100

O.P. RE: [split] strange happenings
,ay I ask which thread it should be posted in.I apologise as I am new to this and obviously have caused you some troouble .It was not intended but I thank you for your advice and time in replyig.I do not spy and I am not in the habit of making assumptions or judgements.I simply did not understand what was happening before my eyes.Indeed I have seen this contacts name change whilst showing offline andas I stated...the pattern  of events in the log does not reflect a programmed status change as the timing between altered status is varied from day to day.I became alarmed whenImy request to this person to help me sort it out was denied.Also their explanation that they can only log into messenger from a different geograpgical location other than home is pretty suspect.Do you have any naswer to that?However...I will close now and consider that my request has been duly answered and delete my registration on this forum.
Thankyou once again for your time and informative advice.My plan is to dlelete messenger from my pc altogether.I clearly am incapable of utilising this communication correctly.
05-12-2008 11:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: [split] strange happenings
quote:

,ay I ask which thread it should be posted in.I apologise as I am new to this and obviously have caused you some troouble
The post was split into a new thread for you by the moderators, so no worries... Nobody is in trouble here

;)

quote:
Also their explanation that they can only log into messenger from a different geograpgical location other than home is pretty suspect.
yep, maybe. On the other hand, it might also be true though. Some people have indeed problems signing in from a certain location. Or their PC isn't set up properly or whatever....

But that they appear offline each time you appear online and vice versa is indeed a bit strange, to say the least....

This post was edited on 05-12-2008 at 11:45 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-12-2008 11:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: [split] strange happenings
If you are still there elmo100 I have something to tell to you.
quote:
Indeed I have seen this contacts name change whilst showing offline and as I stated...
See the threads CookieRevised posted in another thread.
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised