What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » suqquestion: disable standard smiley

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
suqquestion: disable standard smiley
Author: Message:
zach

33 / Male / Flag
RE: suqquestion: disable standard smiley
I used  (Ctrl+K). I can't see it in the conversation so :) = :), not :)
05-31-2008 09:28 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
@Unrealshade
I must note that it is NOT possible to do what you want.

It is not possible no matter what additional plugin or tool you use.

The reason is very simple: What you want involves changing what your contact sees. This is not possible because you can't force your contact to use a certain program or option.

Your contact's Messenger will automatically change ":)" into an emoticon, you can't change that, only the contact can (by disabling smileys or using a tool/addon like Plus! or StuffPlug) because that is how Messenger by default works.

The only thing you can change is how the characters ":)" are seen in the conversation window on your computer.

So, you can disable the automatic changing into emoticons on your own computer, but you can not control if your contact sees the text characters or if he sees the graphical emoticons.

This post was edited on 05-31-2008 at 10:10 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-31-2008 10:07 AM
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
CookieRevised: This is not the case. Stuffplug 3 has a feature which allows the user to create custom-smileys using the default-smileys hot-keys. So you can replace :) with a custom smiley (by using the same hotkey) and get it to show on your contacts computer.
4 8 15 16 23 42
05-31-2008 12:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
On the subject of smileys, I wish Plus! could have a per-contact block on custom smilies, enabled by default for new contacts with a timer or something
05-31-2008 12:23 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Unrealshade

O.P. RE: suqquestion: disable standard smiley
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
quote:
Originally posted by Unrealshade
what does that mean, these are wrong?
I wrote those sentences after testing at only one computer, then I tried it with a messenger friend and noticed that, what I wrote is wrong. So I stroke those sentences out because they are wrong. Don't even read them :)
thx again for answering dude :) but if these facts you stroked are not right, isn't it possible then to create a plugin/ script that disables the smileys? well i don't think so and i thought these facts were right and CookieRevised also says that it's not possible with familiar reasons to yours, but you stroked them... so does that mean it's not right?

quote:
Originally posted by zach
i totally LOVE you man! this is so ingenious :D wohoo! it woorks :D all my friends are going to kneel down before me! xD no really, that's a good idea! :):):)(Y)

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
CookieRevised: This is not the case. Stuffplug 3 has a feature which allows the user to create custom-smileys using the default-smileys hot-keys. So you can replace :) with a custom smiley (by using the same hotkey) and get it to show on your contacts computer.
at first, thanks CookieRevised. this was what i was afraid of all the time ^^ and now to vikke, i don't think it was actually wrong what CookieRevised said; he said that your contact's messenger will replace :) with :) and not that it is impossible to replace :) with another emoticon, which is the only thing that stuffplug can do.

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
On the subject of smileys, I wish Plus! could have a per-contact block on custom smilies, enabled by default for new contacts with a timer or something
yeah that's also a very good idea!!!! i wish that too :) or maybe that the keys are shown until the smileys was loaded...
and also that standard smileys can be switched off (for plus! users only of course ^^ )

so... really cool what you wrote :) i love you all, this forum rocks ^^ best wishes for everyone!
05-31-2008 06:10 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vikke
I think you misunderstood  it a bit. The question here is not to replace the default emoticons with your own custom ones (aka skinning the default emoticons), like StuffPlug can do.

He wants to control what the contact sees, thus sometimes ":)" and sometimes ":)".
quote:
asked:

"hi! :) how are you? :)"
This is not possible, with any tool, since you can not control what your contact sees. What your contacts sees depends only on what that contact has enabled in his settings (Tools > Options > Messages > Show emoticons).

------

quote:
Not exactly though...
:) = :)
That character code is still there. It is just that Plus! will try to interpret that character as a color code prefix. This means that it will only work if the contact has also Plus! installed and running, and that you con't use other colors in your text.

Contacts without Plus! will still see:
"Hello :)"

And using that shortcut CTRL+K will only work if you have enabled the use of the old IRC-style shortcuts in Plus!.

;)

This post was edited on 06-01-2008 at 01:03 AM by CookieRevised.
06-01-2008 12:22 AM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
not to replace the default emoticons with your own custom ones (aka skinning the default emoticons)...

offtopic but skinning would only replace your end, stuffplug's method is different than skinning
06-01-2008 12:29 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
skinning can both mean 'your end only' and 'your end and contact's end'.
(hmmm, this sounds a bit strange :))

skinning = changing the look of something... it doesn't automatically mean you would be the only one to see that new look.

This post was edited on 06-01-2008 at 12:34 AM by CookieRevised.
06-01-2008 12:32 AM
Unrealshade

O.P. RE: RE: suqquestion: disable standard smiley
quote:
He wants to control what the contact sees, thus sometimes ":)" and sometimes ":)".
quote:
asked:

This is not possible, with any tool, since you can not control what your contact sees. What your contacts sees depends only on what that contact has enabled in his settings (Tools > Options > Messages > Show emoticons).
errr no, sorry this was maybe a bit confusing... i just wanted to say that i want to do to the ascii :) smiley. i added the other msn standard smiley-emoticon to the question so that it is clear that i dont mean the standard smiley. and i thought it might be possible to change the combination for the :) smiley from ":)" to "MSN:)" or something like that. but i'm afraid that doesn't change the topic and it's still not possible to do this... is it?

quote:
quote:
Not exactly though...
That character code is still there. It is just that Plus! will try to interpret that character as a color code prefix. This means that it will only work if the contact has also Plus! installed and running, and that you con't use other colors in your text.

i don't agree, i think ctrl+k is not a plus! specific shortcut but a windows shortcut for a special sign (from another language i think) that doesn't show up if you sent the msg... i got some points on this:
1. the plus! feature changes the msn standard emoticon smileys "back" to the ascii smileys. but it does not really change them back. it just changes them. for example :> is changed by msn to :D and then changed by plus! from :D to :D but NOT to :> which it was before. but if i use ctrl+k i don't have problems like this, :[ctrl+k]> shows up  as :>.
2. it also works with trillian (a chatprogramm which i use for icq). if you use ctrl+k the smiley stays as if you used . instead of ctrl+k just that you don't see ctrl+k-sign but you would see . as :.)
so the reason why the ascii smiley is not replaced with the emoticon is that you do not enter the required combination, but enter also another sign that just does not seem to show up. so this should work everywhere shouldn't it, as long as ctrl+k doesn't show up?

and btw how do you write the ctrl+k sign [] ? i copy and pasted it from you when i was quotion but it doesn't seem to work anymore lol this is confusing...
06-01-2008 02:20 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: suqquestion: disable standard smiley
quote:
quote:
quote:
asked:

errr no, sorry this was maybe a bit confusing... i just wanted to say that i want to do to the ascii :) smiley. i added the other msn standard smiley-emoticon to the question so that it is clear that i dont mean the standard smiley. and i thought it might be possible to change the combination for the :) smiley from ":)" to "MSN:)" or something like that. but i'm afraid that doesn't change the topic and it's still not possible to do this... is it?
You can add a custom emoticon which looks the same as the standard smiley :), so it is possible to make your own shortcut for ":)". But you can not prevent that your contact's Messenger will also automatically replace the text ":)" to ":)".

quote:
quote:
quote:
Not exactly though...

i don't agree, i think ctrl+k is not a plus! specific shortcut but a windows shortcut for a special sign (from another language i think) that doesn't show up if you sent the msg... i got some points on this:
This isn't a matter of opinions, these are facts, how things work... And it has nothing todo with languages, nor programming languages.

CTRL+K is shortcut specific to Plus!. It is not a default Windows shortcut at all.

And because it is specific to Plus!, it is Plus! itself (not Windows, not Messenger, but Plus! itself) which reconizes this character and which will try to interpret it. And with doing so, it will hide that character from your own text which you see in the conversation; it will not remove the character from the text which is send to your contacts!

If your contact does not have Plus!, and thus does not have a program which reconizes this character and which can hide it, your contact will see it.

It will not work in other programs in Windows.

CTRL+K in Plus! is part of some so called "IRC style" shortcuts to format text. It is used for entering a color code so you can color your text. It is based upon the shortcut you can use in mIRC to color your text, but that is where any similarity stops. Again, it is by no means a global or default shortcut.

quote:

1. the plus! feature changes the msn standard emoticon smileys "back" to the ascii smileys. but it does not really change them back. it just changes them. for example :> is changed by msn to :D and then changed by plus! from :D to :D but NOT to :> which it was before. but if i use ctrl+k i don't have problems like this, :[ctrl+k]> shows up  as :>.
No, that is totally not how it works...

If you use the Plus! command /noicon the only thing which happens is that Plus! adds another ascii code to your text (a different one than when you press CTRL+K). That is all.

It is this ascii code, which is again a lower ascii code, which tells Plus! to interpret the text in such a way that it prevents Messenger to change the emoticon codes to graphics. It does not change the text, nor does Plus! change :> to :D or whatever.

The changing from :> to :D is done by Messenger itself when you have enabled "Show Emoticons". This hasn't got anything todo with Plus!, nor with this subject, it is something totally unrelated.

So if your contact has also Plus! installed, his Plus! will do the same thing and both of you will just see the text as text. If your contact does not have Plus! installed, there is nothing which could interpret that special lower ascii code and the contact will simply see the character representing that special ascii code, the text, and his Messenger will change all the emoticon codes to graphics if he had enabled "Show emoticons".

Again, the CTRL+K shortcut (in case you have enabled "IRC style" shortcuts) produces another ascii code which tells Plus! that a color code will follow. This is again interpreted by Plus! only, and it tells it to color the following remaining characters in a specific color. When Plus! does this it hides this ascii code (which was produced when you typed CTRL+K). But again, if your contact does not have Plus! installed, he will simply see the character representing this extra ascii code and without any colorization.

The misusing of CTRL+K for this purpose is just that, a misuse, which will not work when your contact has just Messenger.

quote:

2. it also works with trillian (a chatprogramm which i use for icq). if you use ctrl+k the smiley stays as if you used . instead of ctrl+k just that you don't see ctrl+k-sign but you would see . as :.)
so the reason why the ascii smiley is not replaced with the emoticon is that you do not enter the required combination, but enter also another sign that just does not seem to show up. so this should work everywhere shouldn't it, as long as ctrl+k doesn't show up?
No....

Either Trillian uses the same shortcut for the same colorization purpose and to be compatible with mIRC and Plus!, or either it simply can't show ascii codes lower than 32 (0x20; which is a space). In both cases it will 'hide' the character. In the first case because it interprets this 'code', in the second case because it can not display the character for that ascii code. So, this has again nothing todo with CTRL+K being a global default shortcut, it is absolutely not.

quote:
and btw how do you write the ctrl+k sign [] ? i copy and pasted it from you when i was quotion but it doesn't seem to work anymore lol this is confusing...
That character is a lower ascii code, they can behave in a very different way than normal ascii codes. For example the ascii code for a linefeed or new line is 0x0A or 0x0D. If you want to copy/paste it, it simply shows a new line. So, not all characters can be simply copied/pasted just like that and not all characters have a character representing the ascii code. It also depends on the font you're using*. Google 'ASCII table'...

*which is also a factor in this CTRL+K story. If your contact uses a different font which has a different font face and he doesn't have Plus!, he might not see a square but maybe a big dot or whatever the font has as character face for that specific ascii code.

This post was edited on 06-01-2008 at 10:12 AM by CookieRevised.
06-01-2008 09:48 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: