What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » suqquestion: disable standard smiley

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
suqquestion: disable standard smiley
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: suqquestion: disable standard smiley
quote:
Originally posted by Unrealshade
thx again for answering dude  but if these facts you stroked are not right, isn't it possible then to create a plugin/ script that disables the smileys? well i don't think so and i thought these facts were right and CookieRevised also says that it's not possible with familiar reasons to yours, but you stroked them... so does that mean it's not right?
I firstly thought that, even if you add a custom emoticon with Messenger's default shortcuts thanks to StuffPlug, your contacts cannot see your custom emoticon but again Messenger's default emoticon assigned to that shortcut because they receive the shortcut from you and their Messenger program reverts it to its default emoticon. However now I noticed that, if you send a custom emoticon with one of the default emoticons' shortcut (after creating that custom emoticon with a default shortcut thanks to StuffPlug), then your contacts will see your custom one, which means the emoticon in your computer is transferred to your contacts, not only that emoticon's shortcut.

CookieRevised says that, if you don't create a custom emoticon with the default shortcuts thanks to StuffPlug, then your contacts will always see an emoticon when you send for instance :D to them (provided that they haven't disabled emoticons). But if you create a custom emoticon with a default shortcut, then your contacts' will see that custom one (again provided that they haven't disabled emoticons)
06-01-2008 02:06 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Unrealshade

O.P. RE: RE: RE: RE: suqquestion: disable standard smiley
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
quote:
thx again for answering dude  but if these facts you stroked are not right, isn't it possible then to create a plugin/ script that disables the smileys? well i don't think so and i thought these facts were right and CookieRevised also says that it's not possible with familiar reasons to yours, but you stroked them... so does that mean it's not right?
I firstly thought that, even if you add a custom emoticon with Messenger's default shortcuts thanks to StuffPlug, your contacts cannot see your custom emoticon but again Messenger's default emoticon assigned to that shortcut because they receive the shortcut from you and their Messenger program reverts it to its default emoticon. However now I noticed that, if you send a custom emoticon with one of the default emoticons' shortcut (after creating that custom emoticon with a default shortcut thanks to StuffPlug), then your contacts will see your custom one, which means the emoticon in your computer is transferred to your contacts, not only that emoticon's shortcut.

CookieRevised says that, if you don't create a custom emoticon with the default shortcuts thanks to StuffPlug, then your contacts will always see an emoticon when you send for instance :D to them (provided that they haven't disabled emoticons). But if you create a custom emoticon with a default shortcut, then your contacts' will see that custom one (again provided that they haven't disabled emoticons)
ok this was what you meant... well unfortunately that doesn't help me with my smiley problem ^^

well thanks CookieRevised :) of course ctrl+k is not a windows shortcut, because ctrl shortcuts are always programm specific, or am i mistaken again?
funny that ctrl+k worked for trillian ^^
but is there another ascii sign that does not show up (for whatsoever reasons) so i can use it for contacts without plus?

another way to create the :) smiley is to use a sign that looks like : but is not. a friend did this but i don't like this solution very much although it's a pretty cool idea... and of course you can do some smileys like (: but that doesnt work for :D of course ^^ D: hehehehe ^^ and to use just a space : ) but that's not the same as :) of course...
06-01-2008 11:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
zach

33 / Male / Flag
RE: suqquestion: disable standard smiley
@CookieRevised: Ok, I only tested it with Bitlbee and the character didn't appear. In WLM without Plus! it did appear though.

Why do you need to do this? So much effort for something so little =( ... ¦-) 

Alt+8776 works in WLM but not on these forums.

This post was edited on 06-02-2008 at 01:35 AM by zach.
06-02-2008 01:15 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Unrealshade

O.P. RE: suqquestion: disable standard smiley
because i love the ascii smileys :) :D :P ;)
and i'm really happy to have your help! thanks dudes! :)
06-02-2008 12:56 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: suqquestion: disable standard smiley
quote:
Originally posted by zach
@CookieRevised: Ok, I only tested it with Bitlbee and the character didn't appear. In WLM without Plus! it did appear though.
just like every other character which has a glyph in the user's current font will show up in Messenger.

quote:
well thanks CookieRevised :) of course ctrl+k is not a windows shortcut, because ctrl shortcuts are always programm specific, or am i mistaken again?
nope, you're correct. Just like most shortcuts are program-specific.

quote:
funny that ctrl+k worked for trillian ^^
Some programs do share the same shortcuts. But those shortcuts aren't always for the same purpose.

However, it is indeed possible that Trillian (and maybe some other IM-clients) use it to be compatible with Plus!. Or rather, and that would be more probable, be compatible with mIRC, a well known IRC-chat client, because that is what the Plus!-shortcuts are meant to simulate: the formatting of text how it is done in mIRC.

quote:
but is there another ascii sign that does not show up (for whatsoever reasons) so i can use it for contacts without plus?
No. All Plus!-shortcuts will produce an ascii character that will show up if your contact doesn't have the Plus! addon or isn't using a client that happens to support IRC-style ascii codes for formatting text.

quote:
another way to create the :) smiley is to use a sign that looks like : but is not. a friend did this but i don't like this solution very much although it's a pretty cool idea... and of course you can do some smileys like (: but that doesnt work for :D of course ^^ D: hehehehe ^^ and to use just a space : ) but that's not the same as :) of course...
You could also use horizontal smileys (they have a specific name, but I can't remember it), such smileys are often used in Asian countries. eg:
^_^

This post was edited on 06-04-2008 at 01:28 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-04-2008 01:23 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Unrealshade

O.P. RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: suqquestion: disable standard smiley
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
No. All Plus!-shortcuts will produce an ascii character that will show up if your contact doesn't have the Plus! addon or isn't using a client that happens to support IRC-style ascii codes for formatting text.
at first: thanks again CookieRevised! :)
but i don't mean plus!-shortcuts. i mean ascii signs that do not get deletet by plus! but by messenger or because ... well some other reason :) because the font you use does not include this sign... or will it show up as a rectangluar then?

i found this sign: ; (unicode u+037E)
it looks like a semicolon but it's not - it's called "greek question mark" (in german at least, this is what window's character map says...) you can read about it in wikipedia if you are interested, you then get forwarded to the semicolon page, but there is also a section about the "greek question mark"
oh well as you can see it doesn't work here in the forum... but it works for msn... but i haven't tested it for msn withouth plus!...
i tested for trillian though, it does not work there...

i also found
׃
(unicode u+05c3) which is a hebrew sign. i found this too in window's characpter map. but this sign may cause some trouble for hebrew is written and read from right to left...

hm. i'm still searching for better solutions. any suggestion is very welcome! :)
06-06-2008 02:17 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: