What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP

Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP
Author: Message:
alegator

O.P. Huh?  Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP
Whenever I choose a picture as wallpaper in my WinXP desktop the description has a fixed color background as shown in the screenshot below:
[Image: icondq5.jpg]

How can I get rid of the green background so that the icon letters lay directly on top of the wallpaper in a transparent fashion? Thanks
06-12-2008 04:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
RE: Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP
Right-click My computer -> Properties -> Advanced (tab) -> Performance, settings -> Scroll down to "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" and make sure it is checked.

:-->
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
06-12-2008 04:17 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I've experienced this problem in the past. Sometimes a program will cause the effect, but to fix it I would either do what Nitro said or in some cases, restart my computer to fix the issue.
06-12-2008 04:41 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
Ive also had this problem sometimes on vista randomly, all i do is end explorer.exe and run it again and its fixed.
06-12-2008 04:57 PM
alegator

O.P. RE: Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP
Thanks everyone, that worked! See below, regards
[Image: 21dr2.jpg]
06-12-2008 09:21 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Actually, there are more causes than that. Search the forums and you'll find the 3 possible causes and solutions for each cause, as this questions has been asked several times already ;)

eg:
Dodgy White Square
Transparent Icons Help

The information comes from the vast Microsoft's Knowledge Base. When you have a problem in Windows, that should be the first thing you need to search in ;)

Anyways, there are 3 causes for the 'problem':

Cause 1:
You have "Active Desktop" enabled

Fix:
Disable "Active Desktop":
* Uncheck "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" in Control Panel > System Properties > Advanced > Performance > Settings

Note that Active Desktop can be enabled by other programs and/or situations or stuff you use

Cause 2:
You have enabled "Lock Web Items on Desktop" feature

Fix:
Disable "Lock Web Items on Desktop":
* Right click on your desktop and choose "Arrange Icons", there uncheck "Lock Web Items on Desktop"

Cause 3:
You're using a PNG with a transparancy channel as a background or an animated GIF file.

Fix:
Make sure the background image doesn't have any transparancy channel or isn't an animated GIF. Note that a PNG without any transparant pixels can still have a transparancy channel though and that a GIF file can appear static, but still contain an animation. Use decent graphic programs to check these things.

all the above goes for Windows XP. Similar things might be true for Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305117/

This post was edited on 06-13-2008 at 03:33 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-13-2008 03:09 AM
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
holy crap this question comes up a LOT on these forums...
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
06-13-2008 07:25 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: RE: Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Actually, there are more causes than that. Search the forums and you'll find the 3 possible causes and solutions for each cause, as this questions has been asked several times already ;)

eg:
Dodgy White Square
Transparent Icons Help

The information comes from the vast Microsoft's Knowledge Base. When you have a problem in Windows, that should be the first thing you need to search in ;)

Anyways, there are 3 causes for the 'problem':

Cause 1:
You have "Active Desktop" enabled

Fix:
Disable "Active Desktop":
* Uncheck "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" in Control Panel > System Properties > Advanced > Performance > Settings

Note that Active Desktop can be enabled by other programs and/or situations or stuff you use

Cause 2:
You have enabled "Lock Web Items on Desktop" feature

Fix:
Disable "Lock Web Items on Desktop":
* Right click on your desktop and choose "Arrange Icons", there uncheck "Lock Web Items on Desktop"

Cause 3:
You're using a PNG with a transparancy channel as a background or an animated GIF file.

Fix:
Make sure the background image doesn't have any transparancy channel or isn't an animated GIF. Note that a PNG without any transparant pixels can still have a transparancy channel though and that a GIF file can appear static, but still contain an animation. Use decent graphic programs to check these things.

all the above goes for Windows XP. Similar things might be true for Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305117/

I thought my post was related to the way you can customize the Desktop Appearance and not with any sort of Windows problems/issues.
06-13-2008 01:38 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It is though... (hence why I put 'problem' in quotes)

I mean, it is indeed related to how you can customize the Desktop (it's not a problem/issue of Windows, it was designed to do that).

That is what Active Desktop stands for. When you customize how your desktop looks by adding dynamic content or something, the 'Active Desktop' is automatically activated and actually turns your static desktop window with background into an HTML page. Otherwise Windows wont be able to show you the content.

PS: the Knowledge Base isn't just for bug workarounds. In fact, 99% of the KBs consists of HowTo's, from very basic ones to very advanced ones. It is hard to search if you don't know the correct search terms though.

;)

This post was edited on 06-14-2008 at 09:54 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-14-2008 09:53 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: