What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Laptop is heating up VERY quickly

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Laptop is heating up VERY quickly
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Laptop is heating up VERY quickly
bottom line: don't buy a laptop with vents or inlets at the bottom.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-17-2008 11:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Panos
Perma-Banned

30 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by john-t
Well i have an acer aspire 5715z (ok acer sucks, but i have what i have) and within 10 minutes of power :( on its getting very very hot. Now its not on a desk or anything but before it would take like 50 - 60 minutes before i felt heat.

The fan is working ( i can hear it ) :P

What do you guys advise me to do? :S

ok yeah....it is heating up very quickly...so?are you afraid of something?I mean like do you think it will blow up?
06-20-2008 09:45 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Panos

ok yeah....it is heating up very quickly...so?are you afraid of something?I mean like do you think it will blow up?
Well, yes. Overheating is a serious issue.
[Image: jumbled.png]
06-20-2008 09:49 AM
mattisdada

RRElive.com

32 / Male / Flag
What you fail to release, is heat, is most things number 1 enemy.

Like humans, computer, electrical components. Proper chemical and physical(wrong word i think but oh well) dont occur properly in high temperatures(and low).

So, if heat wasnt a problem, most peoples computers would be running 5-6x faster then they do now. There would be VERY little limitations.
[Image: Siggy.png]

http://www.rrelive.com/RRElivev2

If you would like my theme for your phpBB3, please contact me.

Thy shouldnt be judged by thy rep givin to you, but by thy rep that you give.
06-20-2008 12:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
Proper chemical and physical(wrong word i think but oh well) dont occur properly in high temperatures(and low).
erm no

it varies.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
06-20-2008 03:52 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
Proper chemical and physical(wrong word i think but oh well) dont occur properly in high temperatures(and low).
erm no

it varies.
Indeed. In fact most things have more energy at higher temperatures as the particles in said object(be it a chemical, gas, piece of wood etc) move faster the hotter they are. This is why things react together when you heat them up.  It's all to do with the amount of collisions per second in a reaction, as that is what causes the reaction, particles hitting together. When you heat something it's particles subsequently move faster, resulting in more collisions per second(and some of a higher force, because the particles have to hit each other above a certain speed too, but that's another story) which makes the reaction occur.

The reason reactions stop at low temperatures is because the particles slow down and cannot react as fast. When you get down to absolute zero(0Kelvin or -273.15 Centigrade) the particles are said to have stopped moving altogether(but this is impossible to achieve artificially).

Er, anyway, the reason overheating is dangerous in computers(and life in general) is not because of any chemical related issues, but simply because the heat will damage the component, eg catching fire, melting, exploding etc. Sometimes it can be as simple as some solder being loosened and so some pins aren't connected properly etc. In humans the case is the same, overheating would lead to cells being destroyed - for example, on your skin the cells simply get burned. The rest of your body is mainly effected by heat in the form of dehydration however, and that is likely to kill you before you are burned alive(unless exposed to extreme heat or fire ofcourse ;p).

This post was edited on 06-20-2008 at 04:08 PM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
06-20-2008 04:07 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Laptop is heating up VERY quickly
A few things are mixed up here, I'll try to explain:

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
erm no

it varies.
Indeed. In fact most things have more energy at higher temperatures as the particles in said object(be it a chemical, gas, piece of wood etc) move faster the hotter they are. This is why things react together when you heat them up.  It's all to do with the amount of collisions per second in a reaction, as that is what causes the reaction, particles hitting together. When you heat something it's particles subsequently move faster, resulting in more collisions per second(and some of a higher force, because the particles have to hit each other above a certain speed too, but that's another story) which makes the reaction occur.

The reason reactions stop at low temperatures is because the particles slow down and cannot react as fast. When you get down to absolute zero(0Kelvin or -273.15 Centigrade) the particles are said to have stopped moving altogether(but this is impossible to achieve artificially).
Absolutely correct. But for those who are wondering now, all the above is for chemistry only.

With computers we are talking about electricity, which is something different than chemistry (well, not exactly, but electricity is a special property of chemistry).

With electricity the temperature should be as low as possible (in general), prefereable as close to the absolute zero point (0°K or -273.15°C) as possible.

The reason behind this is that the hotter a conductor gets, the more electric resistance it will give.(*1)

When a conductor gets close to or is at the absolute zero temperature point, the resistance will be zero. When there is no (or close to zero) electrical resistance we are speaking of superconductors (something you've probably already heared about).

-------------

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Er, anyway, the reason overheating is dangerous in computers(and life in general) is not because of any chemical related issues, but simply because the heat will damage the component, eg catching fire, melting, exploding etc.
That _is_ chemistry and has _everything_ todo with chemical and physical properties of stuff though....

So, heat is also indeed bad for damaging components. The reason for this is exactly because of the chemical and physical properties of the components. As you said so yourself, the hotter something gets to quicker the atoms and molucules will move and the quicker they will react with others.

So, if a component gets extremely hot, it will melt, bend, warp, evaporate, explode, break down.... The chemical reactions become quicker, become more violent...

On the other hand, some combinations and bonding of materials do not react very well to cold either and it will damage the components just as well!!! So, dipping your entire PC into liquid nitrogen or putting 'dry ice' (solid CO2) on it, will damage it also for sure. (*2)

-------------

* Both (1) and (2) are some of the reasons why overclockers put a special cylinder on top of the CPU to put dry ice or liquid nitrogen in, instead of putting it all over the place. In that way, components which can't tolorate extreme cold temperatures (like almost everything in the PC) wont be damaged, while the only part which needs to be cooled gets a cold shock**.

** is actually not very good either though!! Hence we speak of 'shock'. It is far better to gradually lower the temperature instead.

Then there is also the issue of condensation (another chemical reaction). When you lower the temperature of a gas, it will react with objects and form condensation. So, water vapor in the air will condens on the components. And as we all know putting electricity and water together is a bad idea, at least in this case, since water conducts electricity too.. so you can get short circuits***.

*** And that is the reason why you should always leave an electronic device OFF when you bring it from the cooler outside to the warmer inside. Water vapor in the room air will form condensation when it comes in touch with the cooler objects (coming from the outside). So, you should always wait a while before turning it on so that the objects can warm up to room temp and that possible condensation can evaporate again.

Thus, even if you're extatic about that new device you bought and want to try it out immediatly when you get home, do not!!! Let it 'rest' for a while before you turn it on; let the components gradually warm up to the room temperature, this is called 'acclimatization'.

Of course, the same goes for when you bring an electronic device from the inside to the outside in summer, when it is hotter outside then inside.

This also goes for laptops btw!!!!

**** I will stop linking stuff together now :P

This post was edited on 06-21-2008 at 07:28 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-21-2008 02:23 AM
mattisdada

RRElive.com

32 / Male / Flag
Very good explanation Cookie (Y)
[Image: Siggy.png]

http://www.rrelive.com/RRElivev2

If you would like my theme for your phpBB3, please contact me.

Thy shouldnt be judged by thy rep givin to you, but by thy rep that you give.
06-21-2008 05:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: