What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Webpage is ruined, navigation links moves down

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Webpage is ruined, navigation links moves down
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Webpage is ruined, navigation links moves down
I think after the change in the main picture at the top-left of the webpage (50 mllion users one), the navigation links don't fit in that area for some specific languages which have long words. This problem appears in Firefox, it is OK in Internet Explorer 7.

Clicky:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=915925]

.png File Attachment: RuinedWebpage.PNG (133.02 KB)
This file has been downloaded 329 time(s).

This post was edited on 07-03-2008 at 09:29 PM by ahmetgns.
07-03-2008 09:28 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Basilis
Veteran Member

Olympiacos CFP

30 / Male / Flag
RE: Webpage is ruined, navigation links moves down
I checked it with Turkish and Spanish and I confirm the problem
[Image: logo1nu1.png]
07-03-2008 09:41 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
I don't think the page is ruined, just temporarily damaged :P.

Problem confirmed here as well. It's probably just a font size issue.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
07-03-2008 11:15 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Only Turkish seems to have the problem (couldn't test Chinese from this setup).

ahmetgns: maybe you can suggest some shorter strings for the main navigation to make it fit?

This post was edited on 07-04-2008 at 01:38 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
07-03-2008 11:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
The Chinese pages are fine on Firefox.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6559 days, 12 hours, 7 minutes, 36 seconds ago.

07-04-2008 01:28 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Webpage is ruined, navigation links moves down
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
I didn't say Chinese. Chinese has the shortest words in the world anyway so it should be the last language that can produce this problem. You must check the Features page in Spanish.

quote:
ahmetgns: maybe you can suggest some shorter strings for the main navigation to make it fit?
Of course, if Patchou doesn't do something for this, I'll send him a new file with shorter strings.
07-04-2008 08:06 AM
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
I didn't say Chinese. Chinese has the shortest words in the world anyway so it should be the last language that can produce this problem. You must check the Features page in Spanish.

Of course, if Patchou doesn't do something for this, I'll send him a new file with shorter strings.
I think MenthiX was trying to say that he's tried every language except for Chinese (probably CJK not installed). And yeah Chinese doesn't take up a lot of room. And it does seem like Turkish is the only one with overlength strings.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6559 days, 12 hours, 7 minutes, 36 seconds ago.

07-04-2008 08:10 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
I think MenthiX was trying to say that he's tried every language except for Chinese (probably CJK not installed). And yeah Chinese doesn't take up a lot of room. And it does seem like Turkish is the only one with overlength strings.
Oh ok. But how can't you reproduce in Spanish Features page, I don't understand.

The problem in Turkish is caused by "daha fazla" which means "more". Internet Explorer makes a second line when needed like

daha
fazla

but Firefox forces to keep it in only one line. I'll send a new file to Patchou. Forget about this.
07-04-2008 08:42 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The problem is not the space/new line though, or the specific translation for 'more'. The problem is the length of the complete header, thus including all the other menu items too.

In your translation the menu header showing all the menus is too long, which makes that MSIE searches for any space in it so it can split words to a new line in order to fit the entire header next to the logo. Mozilla doesn't do this (it doesn't split the line), but simply moves the entire line to below...

So you don't really need to find a shorter translation specifically for 'more'. You could try and find a shorter translation for any other menu, if that would be easier. Just as long as the complete menu can be shown next to the logo it would be fine.

Tip: When you've found some shorter translations, test the menu out by clicking on the longest word. Make sure the line fits the space in that case too. This because the active menu item is shown in a bigger font size, enlarging the whole menu bar even more....

Although it is a shame that we don't have more space there... With all respect to Patchou (or Guido), but sometimes he seem to (note: seems to :p) forget that English is a pretty short language and most other languages are quite longer and need far more space to put in the same words (Dutch for example is way longer and we face that problem all the time). Although, I know he knows this issue quite well though. But sometimes... gnaaaa... well, bugger him till he give in, because it is a shame if we can't translate the words properly like they should.

This post was edited on 07-04-2008 at 11:54 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-04-2008 11:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
Well, you're right but yet I have shortened the translation of "more" because I find it too long too :P Now it is only one word (it is still not online, come on Patchou :) ).

And yes, there is another problem with the web page for Turkish (and maybe for more languages). Turkish is a language which can have many suffixes after its words thus a word which is already long enough can become much longer with those suffixes. In the Features page of Plus! website, each feature is written in columns and those columns are very narrow too for Turkish. Moreover, Patchou or Guido (I don't know which one to accuse :P) aligns the text in those columns to the sides (I don't know how it is called in English) so due to long words in Turkish there may be huge blanks between the words in Turkish translation like:

Günlük               Görüntüleyici'den
dizinleyerek      otomatik      olarak
gösterir.
07-05-2008 07:22 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: