What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » msn host files problems.

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
msn host files problems.
Author: Message:
[B]roken.[Hearts]

O.P. msn host files problems.
Since tuesday night ive been having problems with msn dropping messages, signing me out, not letting me sign back in (On all the computers in my house.)

Ive narrowed this down to my ISP (Talk Talk) because there we're a few people reporting similar problems with most of the microsoft sites on tuesday and wendsday. But apparently since early hours of wendsday its been fixed.

However i still had problems signing into msn today. It gives me the same problem highlighting the fact my host files need cleaning and would i like to clean them. Everytime i click yes it doesnt do anything and simply rehighlights them when i retry. This is exactly the same on my XP and Vista computer.

Ive tried re-downloading msn, resetting my internet box, checked firewalls and all that but nothing so far seems to work. If i keep trying eventually i get on msn. Sometimes it works for a while then signs me out and wont let me back in, or starts randomly dropping messages ect.

Now i know this could still be due to my ISP but everyone else seems to be reporting that msn is up and running fine now, and Talk Talk tec services have said the same. So i dont know if this could just be that i havent signed onto msn since talk talk have fixed the problem or if it could be another underlying problem.

Um can anyone give me any suggestions? Or if anyone on here is with Talk Talk let me know if you have similar kinda problems.
07-31-2008 07:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Macka

34 / Male / Flag
RE: msn host files problems.
your hosts file is in C:\windows\system32\divers\etc
The hosts file has no extension and is just called "hosts"
If you zip/rar it i'll take a look.
Got the MSN Virus? --> http://www.msnvirusremoval.com
07-31-2008 11:08 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
[B]roken.[Hearts]

O.P. RE: msn host files problems.
Nah i know it isnt MY host files. Because all my computers in the house give me the same error and they have different host files so i know it isnt corrupted.

Plus my account works just fine on my friends computer
08-01-2008 06:22 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
Maybe a problem with your router, seeing as its happening all throughout your house?
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
08-01-2008 07:26 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
[B]roken.[Hearts]

O.P. RE: msn host files problems.
Thats what i thought but i know the router settings are ok and it isnt the firewalls because ive checked them. Ive no idea what else i could check for on it.
08-01-2008 07:29 PM
PowerMike

I have the same problem.... I don't know if this will help but I can sign in using a different ID
03-10-2009 03:41 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
If other accounts can connect fine on the same computers, it would suggest the server you're connecting to is having issues, how long has it not been working? Usually server issues resolve after a few days.
[Image: jumbled.png]
03-10-2009 03:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
PowerMike

It's been acting up for a couple days. This morning I could connect no problem from the desktop pc until I signed off and signed back in from the laptop. After that neither one would connect. I have read many threads and tried so many different things I'm out of idea, hopefully like you said it will resolve itself in a few days... Thanks for taking the time to reply.
03-10-2009 05:00 PM
Macka

34 / Male / Flag
Could be profile Cache corruption, very common.

I'm at Uni at the moment but when I get home I'll post instructions for clearing the cache. Will update in ~3.5 hours

Ok, here are the instructions:

1) Exit from WLM completely

2a) If you are good with computers follow these instructions otherwise go to 2b. Open command prompt (Start>Run type cmd and press ok)
3a) copy each of the following lines (1 at a time) and paste them into the command prompt and press enter after each line:

del "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\IdentityCRL" /Q
del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\IdentityCRL" /Q
del "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts" /Q
del "%USERPROFILE%\Contacts" /Q

4a) close command prompt and restart WLM. You're done.

2b) Download the attached zip file and extract msn.bat to your desktop.
3b) Run MSN.bat
4b) a window will flash up and dissappear within a few seconds. restart WLM. You're done.

.zip File Attachment: MSN.zip (235 bytes)
This file has been downloaded 1741 time(s).

This post was edited on 03-11-2009 at 09:24 AM by Macka.
Got the MSN Virus? --> http://www.msnvirusremoval.com
03-11-2009 06:05 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
PowerMike

Thank you very much will try that
03-11-2009 12:07 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version