What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
[Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in
Author: Message:
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in
What if it was implemented but was conditional on us having our own webspace to host the file?

A lot of people here have their own websites and I'm sure there's plenty of free hosting sites where we could store our own file.

That way it would remove the privacy issue as it would be in our own hands, as far as we would only be using a host we trusted and it would mean that Patchou wouldn't need dedicated servers for hosting all the information.

It would also give us the opportunity to use a network folder (or something similar) to store and access our settings easily if we just use Plus! on two different computers on the same network (as I do with my PC and Laptop)

Just a thought
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5217 days, 11 hours, 33 minutes, 5 seconds ago
08-25-2008 09:37 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Also no one is pointing out the fact that the custom sounds feature is spread across 4 servers with huge specs, and not _everyone_ uses custom sounds.
Already pointed out by Menthix, Jesus and me though. ;)

(yeah I know, I said I was going to sleep, sorry. But I thought of something I needed to rectify asap in some other post. And one thing lead to the other, etc... why don't I PM this? blah, who knows :p nn)

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
A alternative is that as you may know there is a new feature in WLM called "Keep Me Signed In". It asks you for a location. If the selected location is available and online, it transfers the settings from THAT computer to the computer you just signed on (No cost at all on Plus!/Patchou's side and would just cost the bandwidth on the clients side)
That would indeed be a nice alternative.

But if this is made as a script, you might as well make a script which simply uses your own server or FTP location to store all of the settings.

The problem is that "common users" don't have a server or a FTP location. Also, if done with a script, this means that other users which simply download Plus! wont get this feature.

And yup I agree with this being a Windows Live Messenger 9 feature only (once it is fully out of beta) and using the "Keep Me Signed In" feature. This way:

1: Each account has a location associated with it thus no privacy concerns.
2: It can do a P2P transfer of the settings.
08-25-2008 12:05 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dex Luther

38 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in
quote:
If it is just for 1 time, then what is the point of the feature? In that case you could simple export/import your settings using a USB stick or whatever. imho.

Do you import your settings every time you log in on your computer?

I don't see the point in having it import your settings every time you log it. It just seems like an unnecessary load/hassle.

It would be handy as a first log in thing though as not everyone carries around a USB stick 24/7, and the version saved in an email to one self might not be the most up-to-date one.
08-25-2008 04:41 PM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in
quote:
Originally posted by Dex Luther
quote:
If it is just for 1 time, then what is the point of the feature? In that case you could simple export/import your settings using a USB stick or whatever. imho.

I don't see the point in having it import your settings every time you log it. It just seems like an unnecessary load/hassle.

It would be handy as a first log in thing though as not everyone carries around a USB stick 24/7, and the version saved in an email to one self might not be the most up-to-date one.
Well, if the point is to sync settings you would have to at least be able to choose when and how frequently it syncs. Wouldn't need to download the settings every time, just check the settings file on the server and see if it is the same or newer than the one stored.
I would definitely use this feature/script, if one would ever be made.

This post was edited on 08-25-2008 at 04:56 PM by Vilkku.
[Image: signature.php]
08-25-2008 04:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in
quote:
Originally posted by Dex Luther
quote:

You're contradicting yourself...

The point I was making is that if you're only going to import settings once, then what is the point of having the ability to do it from a network drive or from the cloud?

As for not being able to carry an USB stick 24/7: That is exactly it. You _wont_ need to carry the USB stick _24/7_ since, as you said so yourself, you only import your settings _once_ and be done with. Thus that is carrying an USB stick to your other machine _once_...

Hence, I repeat my question: what is the point of making a full blown networked feature when people are only going to use it once anyways?

The biggest benefit of having a remote location to store your settings is exactly that you don't need to carry an USB stick 24/7 anymore when you're changing settings _all the time_ on different machines. So, when you say you are _not_ going to change settings all the time and you would only import them _once_, then there is not much point for such a remote location either as it wouln't be used a lot.

---

Note: I'm not against such a feature, I would use it since I have multiple PCs. But don't contradict yourselfs when you reply saying that you normally only import settings _once_, and then suggesting that it would be a handy feature assuming you _regulary_ need to import/sync settings.

Again, if you only import settings _once_ then there is no need for such a feature because you might as well just use an USB stick _once_ in that case.

;)

Anyways, not possible with a script anyways. And even with the feature build in Plus! itself, you still would need to restart Messenger each time. Thus not very convenient and thus not worth the hassle if you're going to use that feature on a regular basis. And if you're not going to use that feature on a regular basis, I doubt Patchou will add it...

Anyways, making something like this as a very small but seperate Windows script/program would be perfectly possible though. And I think that would be the way to go for such a feature.

This post was edited on 08-25-2008 at 07:36 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-25-2008 07:19 PM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in
Maybe, if made into a script that uses your own server, it could sync logs and even transferred files as well?
[Image: signature.php]
08-25-2008 07:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: