What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Newb At HTML And The Likes

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Newb At HTML And The Likes
Author: Message:
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
RE: Newb At HTML And The Likes
Yeah & should be & in the links :P

This post was edited on 08-23-2008 at 03:31 PM by Nathan.
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

08-23-2008 03:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Coastie

Basically Amazing

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Newb At HTML And The Likes
Cool, i'm going to have to get that...just google it i guess?

And i got on that http://www.vineyeardesigns.com and they have a basic website starter tutorial, and in that tutorial it says to design what you want you site to look like in a program like photoshop, just so you have a picture to go off of when you are writing all your code and everything...is photoshop the best one to use? (i have CS3) or should i just be old school and have a sketch on paper?

p.s.  you guys are awesome, thanks a million for all this help
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
08-23-2008 06:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Coastie
Cool, i'm going to have to get that...just google it i guess?

And i got on that http://www.vineyeardesigns.com and they have a basic website starter tutorial, and in that tutorial it says to design what you want you site to look like in a program like photoshop, just so you have a picture to go off of when you are writing all your code and everything...is photoshop the best one to use? (i have CS3) or should i just be old school and have a sketch on paper?

p.s.  you guys are awesome, thanks a million for all this help
If you're good with PS, then I'd design it in PS. As you learn more and more, you can then export images from your PS project and include them in your website.

Might be a bit hard with normal paper. ;)
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
08-23-2008 06:13 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Coastie

Basically Amazing

34 / Male / Flag
so you're saying i would be able to take this background image and include it in my website?  how would i do that cause i'm pretty sure this is the one i want to use

i know last time i used an image as a background for a website i had to link to it and have it display that way...is there any way i wouldn't have to do that?

.jpg File Attachment: Wave background.jpg (241.18 KB)
This file has been downloaded 140 time(s).
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
08-23-2008 08:29 PM
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
quote:
so you're saying i would be able to take this background image and include it in my website?  how would i do that cause i'm pretty sure this is the one i want to use

i know last time i used an image as a background for a website i had to link to it and have it display that way...is there any way i wouldn't have to do that?
No, that's not what I'm saying. ;)

A website is much more than a background. When I mean designing it in PS, I mean designing it in PS. All of it. All the buttons, text, everything. Just in one image. Afterwords, when you have a image that looks like a website, you can slice out parts and use CSS to position them.
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
08-23-2008 09:17 PM
Coastie

Basically Amazing

34 / Male / Flag
oh....

haha so i have a LOT of work ahead of me then...haha....

Well...guess i oughta get to it huh?

I have a lot more made up for this...but i don't have the buttons or anything

Can i add the graphics into it in PS too? like when you move your cursor over a button it highlights...or is that all to do with css?
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

08-23-2008 09:30 PM
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
oh....

haha so i have a LOT of work ahead of me then...haha....

Well...guess i oughta get to it huh?

I have a lot more made up for this...but i don't have the buttons or anything

Can i add the graphics into it in PS too? like when you move your cursor over a button it highlights...or is that all to do with css?
Well you would design 2 images, one for the main button image, and then another for when you highlight over it. You would then use HTML i think to use the onmouseover command to change the image.
08-23-2008 09:39 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
Well you would design 2 images, one for the main button image, and then another for when you highlight over it. You would then use HTML i think to use the onmouseover command to change the image.
That's one way in doing it, but that's old and outdated, instead you would use css.
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

08-23-2008 09:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Coastie

Basically Amazing

34 / Male / Flag
haha...old and outdated...got it

so just make the buttons (and everything else pretty much) look how i want them to in PS then do all the animation and all of that with css

guess it's time to look for some css tutorials!

would you recommend doing one page at a time, like from beginning to end, or should i go ahead and design all of pages of the site in PS, then write the XHTML for them all, then do all their css...etc.?
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

08-23-2008 10:02 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
haha...old and outdated...got it

so just make the buttons (and everything else pretty much) look how i want them to in PS then do all the animation and all of that with css

guess it's time to look for some css tutorials!

would you recommend doing one page at a time, like from beginning to end, or should i go ahead and design all of pages of the site in PS, then write the XHTML for them all, then do all their css...etc.?
From a design point of view, most pages should really run on the same base setup. This is true for 99% of all websites; the design is the same the entire way through. This would mean that the only thing changing is text/content. Thus, only one design should suffice in most cases. Designing a different layout, design, and imageset for each page means: confusing the visitors, making it much more complicated and require more time to code (usually), and requiring many more images to be loaded than is absolutely necessary. It's probably best make a single design and go from there. http://pixel2life.com have several tutorials that will help you not only design a website, but code it. You'll have to look around, but yeah, they exist.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
08-23-2008 10:20 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: