What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Newb At HTML And The Likes

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Newb At HTML And The Likes
Author: Message:
Coastie

Basically Amazing

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Newb At HTML And The Likes
:| jeeze...haha i knew it was gonna be tough doin a website...haha but this stuff is crazy

so i have seen websites where the only thing that changes when you click on the link is the content inside the main block of text in the middle of the page, and i think that that is what i want to do so i don't have to rewrite the pages every time like you said, is that a difficult thing to do?
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
08-23-2008 11:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
RE: Newb At HTML And The Likes
quote:
Originally posted by Coastie
:| jeeze...haha i knew it was gonna be tough doin a website...haha but this stuff is crazy

so i have seen websites where the only thing that changes when you click on the link is the content inside the main block of text in the middle of the page, and i think that that is what i want to do so i don't have to rewrite the pages every time like you said, is that a difficult thing to do?
Well, that depends. For now, I recommend you to create one single page. Don't make it so advanced, make it simple. Then, as you progress, add more "features" to it. Add some images here. Tweak some CSS there, and so on.
Don't try to do it all at once, that won't go.

Later on , really later on, you can try to start serverside coding, or just get a CMS. But for now, start in the small. Make a simple page with text. Try to move the text, change the text and so on. Don't get your head underwater too quick.
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
08-24-2008 12:11 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Coastie

Basically Amazing

34 / Male / Flag
aw but come on where is the fun in that?

baptism by fire right?

haha

i'll do the basic txt and everything, that is a good idea, i was probably getting way ahead of myself...but man i've got a pretty cool page goin right now, at least a design of what i want it to look like in Photoshop

it's pretty cool!

well, back to work

btw...Nitro, you are officially awesome...if i could give rep points, i would definitely give you some positive! haha

--Coastie

Cause Coasties Rule...Duh
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
08-24-2008 05:39 AM
Coastie

Basically Amazing

34 / Male / Flag
So it's been a couple of days since i have been on here...sorry about not keeping you all updated...work got hectic for a little bit

here's what's gone down

i have a rough draft of what i want the final page to look like...not the simple page that i was told i should create first

I started to try to figure out where to start as far as getting the page going in XHTML...then got stumped...:|

Anyone feel like giving me an idea of where to start as far as writing the XHTML...even just to get a basic page going, i can figure out how to gets stuff where i want it and all once i get the basic stuff up (text, a couple boxes, header, footer, etc...)

I am beginning to you guys than Google

You're just so much cooler! haha

Thanks

--Coastie

*Basically Amazing*
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

08-25-2008 11:20 AM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
(Smilie) jeeze...haha i knew it was gonna be tough doin a website...haha but this stuff is crazy
its only crazy, because your asking the biggest bunch of nerds(myself included) how you should code your website, an easier alternative, but  no where near as much of a learning curve would be to use a wusiwyg editor personally i like dwcs3 but you were already advised not to use it, if you don't wanna have to deal with code anymore use a wysiwyg editor, but using code does pay off, just look at nathan's websites they always look good and have neat features that make them a joy to use(Y)

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

08-25-2008 01:55 PM
Coastie

Basically Amazing

34 / Male / Flag
haha but i would much rather ask a huge group of nerds...it makes me feel more at home...because believe it or not, i aspire to become one of these nerds that can help people like me right now that want to learn this kind of stuff

nerds rule:8-|

dig it

--Coastie

p.s. so i want to write my own code...i basically want this to be my own thing...but i just need to know how to get started

any ideas?

thanks again

--Coastie

USCG -- Well, it's probably becuase we're better than you.  Just get used to it.
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

08-25-2008 02:21 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
but using code does pay off, just look at nathan's websites they always look good and have neat features that make them a joy to use(Y)
Wow thanks :D

quote:
haha but i would much rather ask a huge group of nerds...it makes me feel more at home...because believe it or not, i aspire to become one of these nerds that can help people like me right now that want to learn this kind of stuff

nerds rule:8-|

dig it

--Coastie

p.s. so i want to write my own code...i basically want this to be my own thing...but i just need to know how to get started

any ideas?

thanks again

--Coastie

USCG -- Well, it's probably becuase we're better than you.  Just get used to it.
Just go to www.w3schools.com and start off with the html tutorials, and guide your way through. The try it for yourself is handy because you can edit on the fly.
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

08-25-2008 02:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Coastie

Basically Amazing

34 / Male / Flag
See why i ask the nerds??  Ya'll are awesome

Thanks Nathan

Hey Nathan, Jarrod said that you have some pretty cool sites, think i could get a link to them to see??

Thanks again

--Coastie
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

08-25-2008 03:03 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
quote:
See why i ask the nerds??  Ya'll are awesome

Thanks Nathan

Hey Nathan, Jarrod said that you have some pretty cool sites, think i could get a link to them to see??

Thanks again

--Coastie
Well I used to have skoolfun (dunno if that was cool or not) but that went down because it was pointless. And second one (my current project is this one: http://www.touch-innovation.com
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

08-25-2008 03:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Coastie

Basically Amazing

34 / Male / Flag
So after procrastinating for what seems like ages (more just making my photoshop image of what i want this site to look like look awesome) I've finally started my basic HTML for my new page.

When i say basic...i mean BASIC.  I have a header, and one paragraph, and some bold stuff, that's it so far.  But this is just me getting everything in HTML down right now. 

But, i was wondering, should i write the page in HTML now, or just go ahead and write it in XHTML since that is what i am going to be using later...

thanks

--Coastie
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

08-27-2008 12:32 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: